Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,637

1 members and 2,636 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    The only way Smeagol ate his Dubias were in a little Feeding Container. Just a Critter keeper.

When I brought it near his cage he already got excited. I would open the door, he eagerly hopped on my hand (elevator) and off he went into the critter keeper, going after Dubia's. After the first 3 or 4 though, he would only be interested if they moved . And they didn't, they froze, LOL.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

2. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

dakski (12-04-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Ferry - Rhacodactylus Chahoua (Chewie)

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    The only way Smeagol ate his Dubias were in a little Feeding Container. Just a Critter keeper.

When I brought it near his cage he already got excited. I would open the door, he eagerly hopped on my hand (elevator) and off he went into the critter keeper, going after Dubia's. After the first 3 or 4 though, he would only be interested if they moved . And they didn't, they froze, LOL.
    Thanks Zina10! That's the next step!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

zina10 (12-04-2018)

Thanks
    Zina

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Dianne (12-04-2018)

Thanks

Awwwww, so cute.

I was talking about the "elevator."

Seriously, Smeagol has to be one of the cutest animals on this site. Both looks and behavior.

He rocks. Ferry has a tough act to follow.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

zina10 (12-04-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Awwwww, so cute.

I was talking about the "elevator."

Seriously, Smeagol has to be one of the cutest animals on this site. Both looks and behavior.

He rocks. Ferry has a tough act to follow.
    Aw, thank you !!

I think it basically has to do that he sees everything around him all the time, so he is used to it all. And he had a calm personality from the get go.

He isn't always so outgoing either. He isn't scared, but when he doesn't feel like coming out he will swivel his eyeball to me as if to say.."nah", then turn his head slowly away and wander off...LOL.
    Zina

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-05-2018),dakski (12-04-2018)

Thanks

Aw, thank you !!

I think it basically has to do that he sees everything around him all the time, so he is used to it all. And he had a calm personality from the get go.

He isn't always so outgoing either. He isn't scared, but when he doesn't feel like coming out he will swivel his eyeball to me as if to say.."nah", then turn his head slowly away and wander off...LOL.
    It’s amazing how expressive these guys are.

Katie had her first “momma, take me out so I can play,” moment with Ferry tonight. It was priceless and so cute. They are bonding and learning to trust each other.

Also, 5 minutes back in the tank he was head deep in gecko food gel. YUM!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

zina10 (12-04-2018)

Thanks

Well, Ferry is definitely getting more adventurous and friendly. However, we are still working on the Dubai thing.

I tried in a container tonight and had zero luck.

Then I put him back in his enclosure and he was interested, but if he didn't lunge quick enough and they got away, he lost his opportunity. Additionally, if he got distracted by one, while the other was near him, oh well. He also is learning that I put them in and gets more interested in me!

Much to learn. He might have gotten 1/9 and I am hoping he finds some tonight.

We will try again another night.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-05-2018),zina10 (12-06-2018)

Thanks

I did a full cage cleaning today and changed Ferry's logs, etc.

Over the past week, I have offered 18 Dubai roaches and 2 Superworms.

I found 6 Dubai and 1 Superworm. I guess he's been eating them when I am not looking. Works for me. If he wants to hunt and night without me watching, I have no problem with that.

He's also been eating his gel food, and I cleaned up plenty of Chewie poop, so it's all good in the Chewie Hood.

He's settled in nice and is just the sweetest thing. We are developing a nighttime ritual where he comes to the door around 11PM and begs to come out and play. I open the door, put my hand out and, and he walks onto it and we walk around a bit. Then he goes back and apparently hunts.

Here's a picture of him from today (with my friend holding him). He's really brightening up and his colors seem to as rich as ever. I think he's pretty happy.

[IMG][/IMG]

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-07-2018),Dianne (12-07-2018),tttaylorrr (12-07-2018),zina10 (12-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    I did a full cage cleaning today and changed Ferry's logs, etc.

Over the past week, I have offered 18 Dubai roaches and 2 Superworms.

I found 6 Dubai and 1 Superworm. I guess he's been eating them when I am not looking. Works for me. If he wants to hunt and night without me watching, I have no problem with that.

He's also been eating his gel food, and I cleaned up plenty of Chewie poop, so it's all good in the Chewie Hood.

He's settled in nice and is just the sweetest thing. We are developing a nighttime ritual where he comes to the door around 11PM and begs to come out and play. I open the door, put my hand out and, and he walks onto it and we walk around a bit. Then he goes back and apparently hunts.

Here's a picture of him from today (with my friend holding him). He's really brightening up and his colors seem to as rich as ever. I think he's pretty happy.

[IMG][/IMG]
    stunning addition!!!
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

18. The Following User Says Thank You to tttaylorrr For This Useful Post:

dakski (12-07-2018)

Thanks

Ferry is just too darn cute. His nightly ritual is killing me.

First of all, he's gotten more active when I take him out at night. He begs, calmly, to come out, with those big Chewie eyes. Then I take him out and it's run up my arm, around my neck and shoulders, down the other arm, hand over hand, up the arm, down the other arm, etc.

After a few minutes of this and and down the back and around the chest, etc. He calms down and is sweet as pie. Of course, if I take him out during the day to say hello, he's just the calm the part. However, does he beg to come out and play during the day? NO! He only begs when HE wants to play!

Secondly, I think he's really comfortable and settled. He's eating his bugs and his gel. He's all over his tank. Also, his colors are super rich and he's a handsome guy.

I have video and pictures below.

Finally, it's gotten a little chilly in the house here as it's almost winter here in Connecticut, USA. Just in case you didn't know it wasn't winter, the weather could have fooled me! It's dry and very cold. Teens at night.

Anyway, Ezzy (Leachie) has been less active, but still eating, and it's been high 60's at night and lows 70's during the day. Rhacodactylus like it about 72-77F. Over 80F is too hot for comfort and over 85F can be lethal. Colder is better as they can adjust and just slow their bodies and metabolisms down.

I called Steve from Leapin' Leachies today and he said not to worry about it getting too cold. He gets his Leachies down to 55F in the winter and they barely eat, but it's good for them and gets them ready to breed.

I asked about getting a better tank, with better insulation and an RHP, and also, maybe a little bigger, for both Ferry and Ezzy (maybe stacked) and he said that would be fine, but act actually cooling them down a little in the winter is a good thing. He emphasized what I already knew, which is that humidity is key and way more important than temps with these guys. Humidity must always be over 55% and 65%-75% is the sweet spot. Too low causes issues and fast.

So, I called Jeff Ronne at Boaphile Plastics, as he has a newish line of arboreal tanks and is building one for Yafe as we speak.

They have PVC pipe(s) going across them, but they can removed or not put in, but they are taller and come in different sizes than the main cages he's made for years and are 3X2' plus.

He makes a tank size that would be perfect for both Ezzy and Ferry and we could stack them, with an RHP (very small RHP - never need to get over 77F in a room that would never be below 66-67F and when that cold, would be set to 72F - more on that in a second), and use on thermostat for both tanks.

We spoke at length today and I asked him about his 2FT wide X 1.5FT deep X 2FT high tank. I think that would be perfect. Ezzy is currently in a 20"X20"X20" and Ferry is in a 16"X16"X20".

Then Jeff blew my mind a little and said, you can also get any size tank and put it on it's side. So, I could get 2'X2'1.5', but put it on it's side, and I have a side opening door instead of a top to bottom opening door, and the tank would be 2FT tall, 2FT deep, and 1 1/2 feet wide. Either way, it sounds pretty cool, and we could stack them pretty easy, either in my office, Katie's office, or in the reptile area, and then everyone would be in one place. That takes the fun out of having them in our offices, but makes things a little easier in other ways. 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of another.

I could keep the tanks 72F at the top/near the RHP in the winter (probably 68-70F below and ambient) and 77F in the summer (probably 73-74F ambient).

Anyway, food for thought. I brought it up with Katie, but she was tired, and we didn't go over pictures etc.

I'll update on that another day.

In the meantime, here are two videos of the Epic Cuteness that is Ferry, as well as a few pictures. Enjoy!

Video link to "Come out and play!" https://streamable.com/ncr5n

Video link to "Chill Ferry." https://streamable.com/dmkn4

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-11-2018),MR Snakes (12-11-2018),richardhind1972 (12-11-2018)

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast