Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,719

0 members and 2,719 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Symptoms of intestinal bacterial infection?

So I got a hatchling Honduran milk snake a little over a month ago. Fed him for the first time after a week of having him but when I thawed out the mouse it smelled kind of weird. It wasn’t really a rotten smell but it was definitely strange. I fed it to him anyway after looking it up because everything I could find said it would smell like rotting meat, and that pinkies sometimes smell strange. I decided it wasn’t worth the risk after thinking about it for a few minutes so I went back to take the mouse out and he had already eaten it.

Every time he has pooped after that his poop has smelled really bad, like poop mixed with a fishy smell. But I have no way of knowing if this is normal for him because he didn’t poop before he ate the mouse at all. No diarrhea at all either. I switched him over to aspen a few days ago and the smell is gone, because the aspen absorbs most of the smell. If he had been on aspen to begin with instead of paper towels I wouldn’t have ever noticed the smell was weird.

So I’m wondering what the symptoms would be so I know if I need to take him to the vet or not. I’ve tried looking up symptoms but I must just be using the wrong keywords since I can’t find anything about bacterial, only parasites.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    You might take a fresh stool sample to the vet to check it. No idea what the strange smell might have been but it's too bad he ate it.

If he seems ill (regurgitates, has diarrhea or bloody stools, or refuses the next meals offered) you might have the vet check him out too. Hope he's OK.

Thanks
    Rank fishy smelling poop is perfectly normal for ball pythons. I imagine its the same for milk snakes. Hopefully someone with more experience will be able to chime in

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Timelugia For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (11-26-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I have noticed that the odor from the waste produced by my colubrids is much more strong/pungent/nasty that that from my ball pythons and boas.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (11-26-2018),Sunnieskys (11-26-2018)

Thanks

Re: Symptoms of intestinal bacterial infection?

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I have noticed that the odor from the waste produced by my colubrids is much more strong/pungent/nasty that that from my ball pythons and boas.
    Personally, I find exactly the opposite! The stench of boa/python feces haunts me. It is the only downside with them.

On the other hand, my corn snake's waste doesn't bother me at all.

To each their own though!
    \m/

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    My kingsnake doesn't seem to smell at all. The corn, only sometimes. Sonoran gopher - bigsnake, big poops, but really not too bad. Baby ball, so far hardly noticeable. Rosy boa, medium stink. Itty bitty little locality hatchling boa...too small to tell.

The trans-pecos rat? LOVE the guy, but he stinks! I know exactly when he relieves himself ....is there a dead mouse in the house?? He is stinky to the point where I am considering taking a sample to the vet. He has always been on the thin side, I'm becoming concerned.

So, take my experience with a grain of salt, but all mine are different.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I wouldn't worry about it as long as the poop is solid and not diarrhea. Just keep an eye on it for now.

In my experience, snakes with faster metabolisms tend to have the stinkiest poop. My hognose, for example, stinks worse than any other animal in my house.

I guess the bottom line is: poop stinks. As long as it looks healthy I wouldn't worry about.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (11-26-2018),Timelugia (11-26-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    My kingsnake doesn't seem to smell at all. The corn, only sometimes. Sonoran gopher - bigsnake, big poops, but really not too bad. Baby ball, so far hardly noticeable. Rosy boa, medium stink. Itty bitty little locality hatchling boa...too small to tell.

The trans-pecos rat? LOVE the guy, but he stinks! I know exactly when he relieves himself ....is there a dead mouse in the house?? He is stinky to the point where I am considering taking a sample to the vet. He has always been on the thin side, I'm becoming concerned.

So, take my experience with a grain of salt, but all mine are different.
    Yes, PLEASE take a stool sample to the vet...that is NOT normal, there is something going on there. I've raised these snakes in the past & still currently have 3-
    their stools aren't noticeably stinky when they are healthy. And you even said he is always on the thin side...not normal!

And for what it's worth, this is likely the reason we're getting opposing opinions about the same kinds of other snakes here too. If you have ANY kind of snake whose
    stool makes you gag, it's not normal & please do get it checked & treated.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

distaff (11-26-2018)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Yes, that is NOT normal, there is something going on there.
    And for what it's worth, this is likely the reason we're getting opposing opinions about the same kinds of other snakes here too. If you have ANY kind of snake whose
    stool makes you gag, it's not normal & please do get it checked & treated.
    30 years having Snakes and when mine Piss and Crap it smells nasty and when there is liquid with the Uraites its fishy to a laymen..
    The whole Room stinks when a 15’ Burms sprays a Gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CALM Pythons View Post
    30 years having Snakes and when mine Piss and Crap it smells nasty and when there is liquid with the Uraites its fishy to a laymen..
    The whole Room stinks when a 15’ Burms sprays a Gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Over 30 years with a house full of snakes, & I didn't say "it" ever smells yummy, but there IS a difference & an unusually-nasty odor can indicate GI issues that might
    need (or improve with) treating. If you're checking to see if the septic tank over-flowed, you might run a stool sample in to the vet, ESPECIALLY when you also notice
    that particular snake fails to gain weight. Stay CALM...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast