Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,005

2 members and 3,003 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

The winter soldier!!

This little baby rat snake has had a rough start! We just had several inches of snow about a week and a half ago, and it's been below freezing every night since. On thanksgiving we found him sitting inside the front door, so we decided to give him his own home. He's in a 20g long ( I know it's too big but I don't have anything smaller so I tried to fill it as much as possible), a 60w ceramic bulb (not the one pictured) keeping the hot side around 83 and the cool side is at 72. I have a few pinkies in the freezer and will try to feed him one tonight. I've watched several videos of people handling wild caught baby rat snakes and they always look so docile... well this little one is feisty lol. He bites, strikes, and does a tail wag threat.. if anyone has any suggestions on how to begin handling/taming him I'm all ears!

https://paste.pics/f5b1098f39259828fe42d3d546df5675

https://paste.pics/ad08e710d87cec5b84af3d9fdb991606

https://paste.pics/d289bfa32fcf4acdc0d4651b68deaa90

https://paste.pics/626797443d7c1e2a4d20c7fef2436341

1.0 Super Mojave BEL (2yrs)

Wild caught Eastern Black rat snake (juvenile)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to noodlethesnake16 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-24-2018),dr del (12-02-2018),MR Snakes (12-17-2018),zina10 (11-25-2018)

Thanks
    Couple of questions. Did u quarantine him? Check for mites?

Also wild caught willow be nippy. Just got to put in time

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    How CUTE! That poor little snake, I'll bet he'd have rung the doorbell if he could have, out there in the cold....brrrr! Thank you for helping him!

Please don't rush trying to feed him tonight...give him a few days to a week+, as his metabolism has been set for brumation, not eating at this time. If he takes
    food right now he'll probably throw it back up...it takes time for them to "change gears".

Yes, they are normally feisty little things...that's a good sign IMO. They catch on quick though if you're patient. You'd be scared too if you were that small!
    Remember, no handling until he has fed easily for you at least 3 times...then go slow.

He's NOT likely to have mites, I could pretty much guarantee he's mite-free, as mites aren't native in wild U.S. snakes. Do look for ticks, & you might need to
    worm him, but don't even think about doing that until after he's feeding regularly & very settled in, if at all. (-if stools seem funky or he fails to gain weight)

That hide is way too tall & open for him to feel safe...you can improve it greatly by crumpling a paper towel & shoving it in the entryway, or use other things
    like small cardboard boxes w/ hole cut for a door, even a paper towel roll (block one end w/ paper). The size of the cage is fine...outdoors is even bigger.
    Don't underestimate rat snakes...they climb very well...make sure your cage top is locked & escape-proof. Trust me... They enjoy taller cages with branches,
    just make sure the top is secure...he can get killed if he pushes it up a bit to squeeze thru, & he WILL be motivated to try.

Wish one of these would come to MY door...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-24-2018 at 05:46 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Dianne (11-24-2018),MR Snakes (12-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    If you haven't fed him yet put him back outside on a warm-ish, sunny day. They are designed to brumate over the winter but to support that they stop eating so that their stomachs are empty.

Thanks
    For sure, releasing him back to the wild is an option to consider (assuming you get a break in temperatures?) but I answered the way I did because it sounded as
    if your (OP) mind is made up about keeping him. (ie. "... if anyone has any suggestions on how to begin handling/taming him I'm all ears! ")

Thanks
    Thank you so much for the responses!! I did check for mites/ticks before putting him in the enclosure.. I had him in a white Tupperware tub so I could see if any fell off too. He looks clear. I am thinking of keeping him, I have a ball python and was just looking into getting another snake so this is a happy coincidence. I'll give him a few more days to get adjusted then try feeding- thank you for the advice. He seems to enjoy burrowing instead of using the hides.. I'll keep adjusting the tank to try and make him more comfortable!
    1.0 Super Mojave BEL (2yrs)

Wild caught Eastern Black rat snake (juvenile)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Awww...so cute !!!!

I rescued this one out at the horse barn. Another boarder was screaming about a snake and someone told her "get Lucy".

So off I went to see what the commotion was. They were just about to kill this poor little baby, thinking it was a rattle snake Then again, they think every snake is a rattle snake.

I got that baby out of the bucket and into the woods Such a Beauty it was, too !!!

I also once saved a rough green snake from a Barn Cat. That one was beautiful, too, emerald green like a green tree python. It was very scared and very stressed, so I didn't handle that one. Just let it "catch its breath" and then allowed it to crawl on a stick, which I laid down at the wood line.

I've come across several Copperheads, young Eastern Diamond Backs and a Cottonmouth, too, but those I don't pick up
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-25-2018),Dianne (11-25-2018),MR Snakes (12-17-2018)

Thanks
    Zina, I'm not sure where the OP is located, but I suspect it's warmer where you are (for re-locations). If a snake is put in a new location & doesn't have enough
    time to find adequate cover (from cold/heat & predators) it's a death sentence. I've rarely kept any snakes that were healthy & just needed relocated...only with
    good reason (survival issue).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

zina10 (11-25-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

Re: The winter soldier!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Zina, I'm not sure where the OP is located, but I suspect it's warmer where you are (for re-locations). If a snake is put in a new location & doesn't have enough
    time to find adequate cover (from cold/heat & predators) it's a death sentence. I've rarely kept any snakes that were healthy & just needed relocated...only with
    good reason (survival issue).
    Oh, that happened back in the summer, so there was no problem with re-location. Since the barn is literally carved out of the woods, I only carried him/her about 30 feet away and released him/her into the wood line

If I found such a tiny baby out in the ice cold and snow, I have to say, I'd be tempted to keep it until spring
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-25-2018),MR Snakes (12-17-2018)

Thanks

Re: The winter soldier!!

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    Oh, that happened back in the summer, so there was no problem with re-location. Since the barn is literally carved out of the woods, I only carried him/her about 30 feet away and released him/her into the wood line

If I found such a tiny baby out in the ice cold and snow, I have to say, I'd be tempted to keep it until spring
    Yeah, that's what I was getting at. Enjoyed your photos anyway, as always.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

zina10 (11-25-2018)