Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,040

1 members and 3,039 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

Expensive pet month!

So about a week and half ago my boyfriend's cat got into a bad fight with the evil rival neighbor cat, and got really beat up, including a collapsed lung and a nasty deep scratch on his eyelid. Of course the fight happened after regular vet hours, so we took him to the ER Vet. $450. (I prefer cats to be indoors to save local wildlife, but they aren't my cats, not my decision . . )

This week one of our older dogs went off her feed and was showing some behavioral signals (peeing/pooping right in front of doggy door) to let us know something was bothering her. I did a head to toe inspection and was horrified to see how bad her teeth were!! How did they get that bad? I feel awful. When I gave her wet food instead she ate right away like she was starving. So .. off to the vet today. She will need most of her teeth pulled! And because of her age, and her heart murmur and hypoglycemia she needs extra monitoring. Total estimate is $800+$20 per extracted tooth!

And before all that happened I had just bought our new snake for $300 . That was a great deal for a full setup with all the bells and whistles including the snake, but still.

The blessing in all this is my company felt bad that I was put on call so much this past year and they gave me a bonus check that will help cover the surgery. I hope the dog enjoys her Christmas present! We were joking that should get her some partials or dentures while we are at it!
    Last edited by FollowTheSun; 11-22-2018 at 12:56 AM.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Expensive pet month!

Ugh, expensive month for sure!

I know the feeling.

The week we got Yafe, and I had to rush him to the emergency vet (and we are still trying to get him better - damn Fedex), one of our 5 dogs appeared to injure his leg. He went to the emergency vet too. When you have 5 dogs, it's a pack, and if one shows weakness, it can be really bad and it needs to be dealt with quickly.

Of course, it turned out to be a mild sprain and he was fine 2 days, a few anti-inflammatory pills, a lyme test, and $500 later!

Wishing your feline friend a speedy recovery and better times ahead for all!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

zina10 (11-24-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Too bad your bonus had to go for medical essentials, FollowTheSun, but then again, at least you had that extra, so it could have been worse, as they say.

Pets are like kids, they can turn expensive in the blink of an eye...you & dakski seem to be having some sort of a "contest"? Hoping the best for all your pets.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (11-22-2018),zina10 (11-24-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

I feel ya. Since July I’ve dropped over $2k between cages, vet visits, medications, and gas for several 5hr round trips to my vet clinic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (11-22-2018),zina10 (11-24-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    Oh, I've got you all beat.

4 years ago my mare decided to stuff herself with hay (all about food) yet didn't drink enough. Because who needs water when it cools down

A terrible colic ensued and after a 12 hours of wrestling with a 1200 pound crazed from pain animal, constantly giving shots and checking IV line, holding up a huge and heavy IV bag with a broomstick so its higher then the horse while trying to keep the horse next to you when its fighting to drop down and roll, we went to the animal hospital 3 hours away. In the middle of the night.

Thought for sure she would go down in the trailer and we'd have to pull her out with ropes, but she made it standing up.

After a bunch of doctors and Vet students worked on her furiously doing all kinds of checks, they suddenly stopped and looked at me and said, its surgery or we have to put her down. Surgery...to the beat of $6000. On a aged mare. Surgery that often doesn't work. If it does, high incidence of post op problems or recurrence. I used to think if it ever came to this, I wouldn't put a horse through this.

But after this night from hell and the exhaustion, when they all stared at me, including my old girl, the wrong words tumbled out of my mouth. Instead of "put her down" which is what I wanted to say, "lets do it" came out. And before I could even say another word they all went right back to work, furiously. So that was that.

She survived. And she recuperated. And there are so many days since then that she enjoyed life. So I do not regret it, even if she were to drop dead tomorrow. She is my therapy, she keeps me in shape going to the barn and doing physical labor every day, rain or shine. She makes me laugh, that horse has personality (and lots of opinions, but stays respectful

But yes, that bill was a whopper alright. I always tell everyone, I have a very expensive horse !!! LOL

Between all my animals, every month is "expensive pet month". Someone always needs something or other. 2 aged dogs, the horse, etc. Every now and then its for fun, like buying a new snake. My most recent being a Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost

Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-24-2018),Dianne (11-24-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post

But after this night from hell and the exhaustion, when they all stared at me, including my old girl, the wrong words tumbled out of my mouth. Instead of "put her down" which is what I wanted to say, "lets do it" came out. And before I could even say another word they all went right back to work, furiously. So that was that.

She survived. And she recuperated. And there are so many days since then that she enjoyed life. So I do not regret it, even if she were to drop dead tomorrow. She is my therapy, she keeps me in shape going to the barn and doing physical labor every day, rain or shine. She makes me laugh, that horse has personality (and lots of opinions, but stays respectful

But yes, that bill was a whopper alright. I always tell everyone, I have a very expensive horse !!! LOL...
    Oh, LOOK at that FACE! Our "pets" may not be human, but they are still family, & this is what you do for family.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Dianne (11-24-2018),zina10 (11-24-2018)

Thanks
    I spent some serious money on an adopted pug. He had problems from the time we got him at 1 is to the day he died at like 13 years later. Lived a long life of several serious vet bills. We had to get a vet credit card just because it could be over 1k every time he had to go. Best dog we ever had! The free ones always cost the most

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

zina10 (11-24-2018)