Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,566

2 members and 2,564 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Snake vs Rabbit and the Rules of Attraction and How it can Influence Your Type

well i found this study interesting. some smarties put 200 people in a room w/ a snake and/or another room w/ a rabbit and then basically asked them to swipe left or right on who they thought was hot. i hope that's the gist of it.

the unspecified snake was in a terrarium and was supposed to simulate a "dangerous" situation, while the rabbit simulated a harmless one. they found that those in the snake room, "swiped right" on athletic, muscular peeps and thought they were the most attractive. why? the researches hypothesize b/c they felt less dominant after being in the snake room and seeked someone protection or safety from the dangerous threat (i.e. snake).

anyways i have alotta questions about this study but still find it interesting. also what does it say about non-snake peeps? lol what does it say about us? ok u can read the article here: https://www.businessinsider.com/here...ted-to-2018-11

A scientist used a rabbit and a snake to show how your surroundings can change who you're attracted to

There are a lot of people who are adamant that they have a fixed "type" — that is, a particular group of people who share similar traits that they're more likely to fall for.

However, the more scientific studies carried out on this idea, the more we see that our "type" can vary enormously over our lifetime. Moreover, there are a great many number of factors that determine who you're attracted to.

Psychologist Simon Reeve from Oakland University in Michigan conducted a scientific experiment, the results of which were published in Springer International Publishing, to find out how who you're attracted to can actually vary based on certain triggers.

How can a snake or a rabbit change who you're attracted to?
    Roughly two hundred participants were asked to take a saliva sample and were brought into one of two different rooms. In one room there was a snake in a terrarium and, in the other, a tame rabbit.

The snake and the rabbit were each supposed to simulate a dangerous and then a harmless situation, without the participants being explicitly aware of it.

After being in either room, the male and female participants were asked to choose the most attractive person of the opposite sex from different "types".

Reeves found that those test subjects who had previously been in the room with the snake tended to be more selective and to pick more muscular body types — and that applied to both men and women.

Reeves hypothesised that the driving factor behind the tendency to choose more athletic partners after being in the "snake room" could be down to our instinct to seek protection in the event of a threat.

Your perceived surroundings can make you feel less attractive
    Men and women who had entered the "snake room" prior to choosing the most attractive person also tended to state in the questionnaire carried out after the experiment that they were only interested in shorter-term relationships.

Reeves attributed this finding to the fact that our human instinct will push us — when in a threatening situation — to focus more on reproducing than on survival.

Interestingly, Reeves was able to establish two other findings in his experiment: of the tests subjects who had previously been in the snake room men tended to feel less dominant and women found themselves less attractive, which wasn't the case for those who had been in the room with the rabbit.

So, if you're having a bit of a dry spell in your love life or you feel like you could do with a confidence boost, perhaps you can invest in a new pet — just exercise caution with which animal you choose.

also here's a brief summary of the study and u can read/download the whole thing here: https://link.springer.com/article/10...-0177-1#citeas
    The Environmental Security Hypothesis (ESH) proposes that an individual’s mate preferences should shift depending on how secure they perceive their surroundings to be. Here, we extend previous work by leading participants to believe they would be required to handle either a snake (threat condition) or tame rabbit (control condition) and measuring various aspects of mate selection. People in the threat condition reported a greater preference for bodies with a higher proportion of muscle versus fat. Women in the threat condition, but not men, reported a greater preference for more masculine-shaped faces and lower self-perceived mate value. Men in the threat condition, but not women, reported a significantly lower preference for Status-Resources and Warmth-Trustworthiness partner traits, and lower self-perceived social status. Finally, although we did not fully replicate previous findings with respect to short-term mating interest in women, men in the threat condition reported both a more favorable attitude towards short-term mating and a less favorable attitude towards long-term mating. Results are interpreted in line with a context-flexible view of psychological adaptations influencing human mate selection processes.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-21-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Snake vs Rabbit and the Rules of Attraction and How it can Influence Your Type

Not what I was expecting lol, I saw the title and came to see how to get my damn retic to take rabbits. He’s decided he only wants rats.

interesting study, thanks for sharing

Thanks
    Thanked 19,793 Times in 11,827 Posts
    Hmm, interesting... I wonder if they screened out anyone who was a long-term snake keeper (& obviously comfortable with snakes)? And there's probably
    people out there that are even afraid of rabbits (just like there are those who find clowns terrifying) so they should have asked about that too, IMO.

It's really weird that they say even the men (from the snake room) were picking potential partners who appeared stronger & more fit...presumably to save
    them from the big bad snake?

I think they might be extrapolating a great deal more than they should about what this all means. And aren't more men naturally more interested in short-term
    mating than women anyway, whereas women want a protective mate to raise a family? Still interesting though, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dxw425 View Post
    ...I saw the title and came to see how to get my...retic to take rabbits....
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-21-2018 at 07:28 PM.