Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,970

0 members and 2,970 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Ambient temp or surface temp?

Hi guys, I was wondering if I should measure the cool side ambient temps or the temperature of the floor on the cool end for my blue tongue skink. I have a thermometer that measures ambient temps at the cool end, and it always reads in the range of 75-79* but my temp gun reads 81-83* as surface of the substrate temp. Is that ok or should the actual surface of the substrate be in the 75-79* range with the ambient temps lower?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Ambient temp or surface temp?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueyLover23 View Post
    Hi guys, I was wondering if I should measure the cool side ambient temps or the temperature of the floor on the cool end for my blue tongue skink. I have a thermometer that measures ambient temps at the cool end, and it always reads in the range of 75-79* but my temp gun reads 81-83* as surface of the substrate temp. Is that ok or should the actual surface of the substrate be in the 75-79* range with the ambient temps lower?
    Always go with the temp gun at the surface. With a ground species like a BTS especially, measure at the ground, where he/she will be. The air thermometer is pretty useless.

81-83F is a little high for the cool end at night, but okay during the day. I would want 80-82F tops for cool side temps, if not a little lower, at night. I have day time temps around 80-82F because of a low wattage UVB bulb about 1 1/2 feet away and a higher wattage basking bulb and another UVB bulb on the hot side of Frank's (my northern BTS) tank. He has a 6X2' tank that's 1.5' high. At night, his cool side drops to 78-80F. His hot side is 95-98F during the day (depending on where he is relative to the basking bulb) and 92-95F at night. Ambient during the day is 84-87F and 82-84F at night.

I've had Frank for a while and he's doing great. Not too much out there on these guys, although they are becoming more popular now. I've learned quite a bit along the way. Feel free to check out Frank's thread, post here, or PM me with questions.

Good luck.

Frank's Thread: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ighlight=Frank

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

BlueyLover23 (11-29-2018),nightscavenger (11-27-2018)