Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,840

1 members and 2,839 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Considering a diy enclosure

So I've been looking around since before I even got my bp for bigger enclosures for him (and my future snakes), and as much as I would LOVE to eventually get a bunch of big exo terras or pvc enclosures, that's just not realistic for me at this point in my life. So I've been looking into DIY enclosures lately, and I think it seems doable, maybe not completely from scratch, but turning a piece of furniture into an enclosure I think I could do.
    I've been looking around at used furniture online the past few days and what I've seen a lot of is hutches. Tall cabinets with glass doors and shelves inside.
    So my question is, could something like that work for multiple enclosures? For example, one that I'm looking at currently has three shelves that are decently spaced apart, and they're all guarded by the same set of glass doors, so if you open them all three shelves are exposed. I was thinking if I could add guard rail panels to each of the shelves to keep the substrate in, maybe it could work? Though I'm also unsure about heating
    I dunno, just an idea! I'm not sure if I'll actually be able to do this, and if I do it'll have to be in the summer. Any input is really greatly appreciated, thanks for reading! <3

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Re: Considering a diy enclosure

I’ve built from scratch, converted bookshelves, and reworked a store display case. The biggest hurdle is to get everything well sealed so that wood or particle board doesn’t get wet. Melamine shelves only need the seams sealed, bare wood would need the entire surface sealed. Bookshelves were the easiest for a multiple enclosure setup, but a cabinet with shelves should work. Radiant heat panels would probaby be the best and easiest heat source. Heat lamps or CHE also work, but you have to make sure there is a cage or screening around them that will prevent your reptile from getting burned.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Ditto (11-18-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    I’ve built from scratch, converted bookshelves, and reworked a store display case. The biggest hurdle is to get everything well sealed so that wood or particle board doesn’t get wet. Melamine shelves only need the seams sealed, bare wood would need the entire surface sealed. Bookshelves were the easiest for a multiple enclosure setup, but a cabinet with shelves should work. Radiant heat panels would probaby be the best and easiest heat source. Heat lamps or CHE also work, but you have to make sure there is a cage or screening around them that will prevent your reptile from getting burned.
    Thanks so much for your reply! I was thinking of going with a bookshelf but I don't really know the first thing about carpentry so I figured something that already has doors would probably be best lol. Do you have any ideas on how I could securely lock doors like that?
    What do you use to seal/waterproof wood?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    SherpaDesign on YouTube has a video on a plywood snake viv build from scratch.
    He gives specifics on the products he uses, and the whys. You will also see him attach the hardware to secure the doors. NOT a beginner project, but the video should help you along converting a book shelf or cabinet.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

Ditto (11-18-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

I’m no carpenter by any stretch of the imagination, but I kinda winged it by reading some tips online and in books...definitely going for function over beauty. The shelves I used were melamine - those white shelves with a plasticy texture. A lot of the bookshelves these days are some sort of melamine or particle board with a faux wood laminate. For those you can get away with just sealing the seams where the shelf meets the wall and up the corners. I’ve used aquarium sealant as well as regular silicone bathroom caulk.

I’ve done doors two ways, a hinged door over a litter dam (1”x2” plastic trim board screwed to the shelf that forms the cage floor) and sliding plexiglass doors. The hinged door was easier as I just built a simple frame to fit the opening, added hinges and had a piece of plexi cut to fit the dimensions of the door and carefully screwed it to the inside. You have to predrill plexi or it will split...voice of experience. I screwed a strip of wood trim to the bottom of the shelf above and inset it so the door didn’t fall into the cage.

For the sliding doors, I bought the tracks online and had the plexi doors cut to fit. If you go the sliding door route, you want to make sure you buy plexi thick enough that it won’t bow out and the snake squeeze between the panels...and measure carefully because it’s a pain to trim if you measure wrong...again, experience talking. Also for sliding doors you want at least an inch of overlap. I added display case locks (lock on a sliding bar) so the snakes couldn’t push the doors open since plexi is pretty light weight.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

distaff (11-18-2018),Ditto (11-18-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I've looked into similar ideas. The hardest part I've found is finding something with enough depth to create a decent amount of floor space.
    A lot of book shelves, cabinets, hutches, etc...have good width and height, but they are really narrow depth wise, which doesn't allow for much floor space for the snake. They'd just be too narrow. It would be tougher to find hides and water bowls to fit, etc...

That being said, I'm always looking and am determined I'll find something eventually. I'm just waiting for the right piece to repurpose. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it right.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    I've looked into similar ideas. The hardest part I've found is finding something with enough depth to create a decent amount of floor space.
    A lot of book shelves, cabinets, hutches, etc...have good width and height, but they are really narrow depth wise, which doesn't allow for much floor space for the snake. They'd just be too narrow. It would be tougher to find hides and water bowls to fit, etc...

That being said, I'm always looking and am determined I'll find something eventually. I'm just waiting for the right piece to repurpose. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it right.
    I can imagine two identical wood book shelves bolted together for extra depth might work. I haven't been in an IKEA for years, but they might have some suitable shelving that can be converted.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    I can imagine two identical wood book shelves bolted together for extra depth might work. I haven't been in an IKEA for years, but they might have some suitable shelving that can be converted.
    I've considered that. But then sealing it water tight would be tricky.