Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,978

5 members and 2,973 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

Wink Ratsnake doesn't coil around prey

This is not a real problem since she only ever has been fed frozens. She's about 9 months old. When I first got her she was eating frozen pinkies and would just simply find the face of the mouse and then eat it. I can get her to strike sometimes, if I wiggle the mouse, but then she lets it go and eats it. She prefers to carry her prey to her hide to eat them. I'll usually just set the mouse down and she'll get it and then drag it backwards into her hide like a dog who's just found a really great bone. haha! But do you think she'll ever learn to coil and squeeze the prey? I wonder if this is a learned behavior, or maybe they start doing that when they get older. Just curious.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-18-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,794 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Not only is it not a problem, but it's a "plus" that she is completely used to f/t prey. I'm sure she was raised that way, rat snakes are EASY to feed, nothing like BPs.

Consider it a blessing that she is content to just eat, not tackle her prey. Their instincts when they hatch serve them well, & initially they will go "thru the motions" to
    constrict, especially if their first food is a live pinkie...but when fed f/t mice, most rat snakes learn VERY quickly that constriction is just not necessary. Please NEVER
    give your snake live prey to see what happens, because she could easily get hurt (if it's a mouse of any size with eyes open, they fight back by biting). You should be
    content: you have what many would be happy to trade for...a snake that is perfectly happy just to eat f/t prey, no fuss! She actually HAS learned...not to waste her
    time & effort killing food that's always dead. And she is likely a calmer pet to handle because of this, don't fix what isn't broken, lol.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Dianne (11-18-2018),FollowTheSun (11-18-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

Re: Ratsnake doesn't coil around prey

That's awesome to know, thanks! It is super cute to see her carry her meal to her hide! I will never do live prey-- it's just not very pleasant, and as you mentioned, not as safe.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-18-2018)

Thanks
    Yeah, I think that's hilarious that she takes her food "indoors". But that's instinctive for safety...a snake out in the open while it's swallowing prey is very
    vulnerable to it's own predators.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

DebbieDecker (11-28-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Yeah, I think that's hilarious that she takes her food "indoors". But that's instinctive for safety...a snake out in the open while it's swallowing prey is very
    vulnerable to it's own predators.
    I was thinking my ball python was a shy eater, but your explanation on instinctive behavior makes sense since he's otherwise comfortable around me. He always hesitates to eat his frozen/thawed rat when I'm watching, so I turn off the light and leave the room, I go back to check 15 minutes later and he is always finished and gone to siesta in his hide. He doesn't coil his prey either, he did the first feeding after I got him in January but he hasn't ever since.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieDecker View Post
    I was thinking my ball python was a shy eater, but your explanation on instinctive behavior makes sense since he's otherwise comfortable around me. He always hesitates to eat his frozen/thawed rat when I'm watching, so I turn off the light and leave the room, I go back to check 15 minutes later and he is always finished and gone to siesta in his hide. He doesn't coil his prey either, he did the first feeding after I got him in January but he hasn't ever since.
    And maybe it also depends on how close to a hiding place they are when they grab prey: it wouldn't be practical to drag a rat very far, but snakes instinctively try
    to eat fast. It's common for snakes not to like being watched when they eat, though many learn to relax in our presence, it's nothing "personal".

As far as the age-old question ("to coil or not to coil?") they appear to learn in time that all their prey comes "ready to eat" so they don't waste time constricting, again
    it's an effort to eat fast for safety. That's why it's so dangerous to suddenly feed a snake "live" that is used to eating only f/t...their guard is down & it's more likely for
    them to get bit.