Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,182

2 members and 3,180 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: My friendly young albino black ratsnake (pic heavy)

Oh and btw, "Bogertophis" is definitely the one to talk to for any questions or concerns about ratsnakes.... I appreciate her expertise very much!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jus1More For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (11-23-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jus1More View Post
    Awwwe! Noodle is very stunning indeed. I am loving that color, as i have never seen that type of rat snake before....

FYI, I bred these some years back: my female was similar to Noodle, a pale peachy color, while her mate had a bold red-orange pattern over the cream background.
    Their offspring were variations from pale to more deeply-orange patterned like "dad". The black (wild form) is found in much of the eastern U.S. and supposedly there
    is even an isolated population of them in southern Canada & northern New York.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (11-23-2018),Jus1More (11-23-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jus1More View Post
    Awwwe! Noodle is very stunning indeed. I am loving that color, as i have never seen that type of ratsnake before.
    Most ratsnakes are a little hard to find up here in Toronto. I had to really search for my trans pecos ratsnake, but it was worth every sleepless night until I got him safe and sound in my hands...Thank you for sharing!
    They are hard to find in my area too but apparently you can easily catch them in the wild in many other areas of the US. I knew very little about ratsnakes when I got Noodle-- she just seemed really friendly and easy to hold. She was one of only two in the reptile store. What made you decide on Trans Pecos ratsnake vs. other kinds?

Here's what Noodle might look like as an adult!
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

distaff (11-23-2018),Jus1More (11-23-2018)

Thanks

Noodle strikes a pose. Just thought this was a neat photo that shows her eyes and looks! she's smiling! Haha

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FollowTheSun; 03-01-2019 at 10:25 AM.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-01-2019),Dianne (03-03-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
    ... What made you decide on Trans Pecos rat snake vs. other kinds? ...
    This never got answered by the "intended" (Just1More) but if I had to guess, it's partly the size...about 2' smaller as adults. And while your "black" rat snake is very
    docile (as most of these are when properly worked with as hatchlings), a Trans Pecos has a different demeanor...more naturally laid-back & more nocturnal, & very
    graceful (maybe stealthy is a better word?). Either one is a great pet though. Yours is more of an "extrovert" and yours will be at least 5' as an adult, whereas
    I've never had a Trans Pecos exceed 4-4.5', a very manageable size perfectly housed in a 40 gal. breeder tank. If yours was a male, you'd be looking at 6' at least.

My male Florida rat snakes (same "family") are 7', while the females are about 5' (partly because they waste a lot of food/energy laying dozens of slug-eggs yearly.
    So for those who like 'em bigger (longer), get a male. But in Trans Pecos, both genders stay about the same. All great pets, just some differences.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (03-01-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    This never got answered by the "intended" (Just1More) but if I had to guess, it's partly the size...about 2' smaller as adults. And while your "black" rat snake is very
    docile (as most of these are when properly worked with as hatchlings), a Trans Pecos has a different demeanor...more naturally laid-back & more nocturnal, & very
    graceful (maybe stealthy is a better word?). Either one is a great pet though. Yours is more of an "extrovert" and yours will be at least 5' as an adult, whereas
    I've never had a Trans Pecos exceed 4-4.5', a very manageable size perfectly housed in a 40 gal. breeder tank. If yours was a male, you'd be looking at 6' at least.

My male Florida rat snakes (same "family") are 7', while the females are about 5' (partly because they waste a lot of food/energy laying dozens of slug-eggs yearly.
    So for those who like 'em bigger (longer), get a male. But in Trans Pecos, both genders stay about the same. All great pets, just some differences.
    Hmm so do female rat snakes lay slugs even if they don't breed?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
    Hmm so do female rat snakes lay slugs even if they don't breed?
    Yes, some do. No telling what yours will do, you'll have to wait & see once she's fully grown. She may or may not. My 11 year-old Florida girls never bred...
    But they sure are trying to tell me something...(it's their brothers I have in another room). They should slow down & quit this nonsense around "middle age".
    I don't think anyone knows why some snakes do this & others don't...even live bearing snakes like rosy boas will sometimes do slugs, & either type can (rarely) work
    up to producing live young via parthenogenesis. I assume the slugs are "practice". It's thought to be how isolated snakes can manage to pull their species back
    from extinction when no mates of the opposite gender are available. I have to wonder if any pheromones make it from room to room here to influence this? I think
    that's possible, but then why don't my other snakes respond the same way? I have pairs of others that have never bred also, some in much closer proximity.

BTW- I've had many other rat snakes in the past (various kinds, & some like yours), & MOST un-bred females do not do slugs.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-01-2019 at 12:50 PM.

Thanks

Yes, some do. No telling what yours will do, you'll have to wait & see once she's fully grown. She may or may not. My 11 year-old Florida girls never bred...
    But they sure are trying to tell me something...(it's their brothers I have in another room). They should slow down & quit this nonsense around "middle age".
    I don't think anyone knows why some snakes do this & others don't...even live bearing snakes like rosy boas will sometimes do slugs, & either type can (rarely) work
    up to producing live young via parthenogenesis. I assume the slugs are "practice". It's thought to be how isolated snakes can manage to pull their species back
    from extinction when no mates of the opposite gender are available. I have to wonder if any pheromones make it from room to room here to influence this? I think
    that's possible, but then why don't my other snakes respond the same way? I have pairs of others that have never bred also, some in much closer proximity.

BTW- I've had many other rat snakes in the past (various kinds, & some like yours), & MOST un-bred females do not do slugs.
    Wow! All very fascinating!!

Thanks
    So my Florida 'gals' eat like crazy all year long, but at some point in late spring they'll finally say "no thanks" to food, only it's not a shed. It takes a while & they
    sure don't lose weight, not until they lay the slugs. You want to give them a nest box to lay in though, so they feel comfortable & don't get egg-bound for lack of a
    suitable place...it's not as if they know they're only slugs. Actually these two snakes also do double-clutches . Their first clutch is always about 20 eggs, &
    the second clutch is much smaller & most look like they're no good, whereas in the first clutch, many appear to be good eggs- they're infertile though and eventually
    they'll go bad.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (03-01-2019)

Thanks

So my Florida 'gals' eat like crazy all year long, but at some point in late spring they'll finally say "no thanks" to food, only it's not a shed. It takes a while & they
    sure don't lose weight, not until they lay the slugs. You want to give them a nest box to lay in though, so they feel comfortable & don't get egg-bound for lack of a
    suitable place...it's not as if they know they're only slugs. Actually these two snakes also do double-clutches . Their first clutch is always about 20 eggs, &
    the second clutch is much smaller & most look like they're no good, whereas in the first clutch, many appear to be good eggs- they're infertile though and eventually
    they'll go bad.
    Wow that is super interesting! It's like chickens who go broody, even without a male around to make fertile eggs. And speaking of chickens, if Noodle ever lays eggs, I may play a prank on the FFA kids (my daughter is one of them) and place them in the hens' nests in their chicken barn!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-01-2019)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast