Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,826

2 members and 2,824 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts

Smile My friendly young albino black ratsnake (pic heavy)

Noodle is my first snake. She's about 9 months old. I handle her every day and she's as friendly as can be. She has never hissed, "rattled" her tail, or musked me. She is truly a very playful snake who seems to enjoy it when I put stuff in her habitat to explore. Here are pics where I first got her compared to one taken last week She's growing fast!

She's got a bit of soil on her in this photo. She just really loves to cuddle.This little friendly snake has been such a boost to my mental/emotional health. She's just so friendly and provides a kind of therapeutic touch that's very soothing.

She loves to soak in a jar with a small plant in it. Will spend hours in it sometimes!

It's part of our morning routine that she rides in my bathrobe pocket while I make coffee, and then she ventures out (usually to inside my sleeve) when I'm checking the computer.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-18-2018),Dianne (11-18-2018),distaff (11-23-2018),gunkle (03-01-2019),Jus1More (11-22-2018),Pengil (11-22-2018),Starscream (11-19-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts
    That picture inside the jar is so cool. I would have freaked out the first time I saw that.
    1.0 Freddy -Python Regius
    Darby -Boa Imperator
    Kenny -Morelia Bredli
    La Reina -Lampropeltis Californiae
    1.0 Luciano -Drymarchon Melanurus Unicolor
    0.1 Macarena -Heterodon Nasicus Nasicus
    1.0 Hugo -Morelia Spilota Mcdowelli

Morelia Mafia For Life

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RickyNY For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (11-18-2018),gunkle (03-01-2019),Ronniex2 (11-21-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I LOVE your photos, especially that one with your snake & plant in a jar...I've never thought to offer such a "snake toy". That's creatively awesome!

Black rat snakes (whether naturally black, albino or amelanistic) make great pets- easy to feed & handle, straight-forward to house, & yes, good swimmers.

Noodle is clearly a wonderful pet...thanks for sharing, you made my day! Rat snakes rock!
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-18-2018 at 07:14 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

distaff (11-23-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Re: My friendly young albino black ratsnake (pic heavy)

Noodle is lovely...and how cool that she just curls up in your hand. Adorable.
    Other Snakes:
    Hudson 1988 1.0 Colombian rainbow; Yang 2002 1.0 Corn snake; Merlin 2000 1.0 Solomon Island ground boa; Kett 2015 1.0 Diamond Jungle Jaguar carpet python; Dakota 2014 0.0.1 Children’s python

Ball pythons:
    Eli 1990 1.0 Normal; Buttercup 2015 1.0 Albino; Artemis 2015 0.1 Dragonfly; Orion 2015 1.0 Banana Pinstripe; Button 2018 1.0 Blue Eyed Lucy; Piper 2018 0.1 Piebald; Belle 2018 0.1 Lemonblast; Sabrina 2017 0.1 Mojave; Selene 2017 0.1 Banana Mojave; Loki 2018 1.0 Pastel Mystic Potion; Cuervo 2018 1.0 Banana Piebald; Claude 2017 1.0 Albino Pastel Spider; Penelope 2016 0.1 Lesser

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (11-18-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RickyNY View Post
    That picture inside the jar is so cool. I would have freaked out the first time I saw that.
    I actually did! I thought she was dead!

The water jar thing was a fortunate accident. I was trying to add some live plants to her habitat, so I carefully researched some non-toxic ones, and carefully planted a few in small pots, even buying special soil that's safe for terrarium animals. In a singly day she burrowed into the pots and basically uprooted most of them. They are now in pots around the house. I had been growing a small ivy plant in the water of her waterdish, and I got the idea to put plants in water from that. I never thought she'd love the jar so much! I ended up getting rid of the water dish and she just uses the jars now. She had never liked her water dish. I think the jar is attractive because it squeezes her and makes her feel more secure than a shallow water dish.
    Last edited by FollowTheSun; 11-18-2018 at 11:25 PM.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-18-2018),RickyNY (11-21-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I LOVE your photos, especially that one with your snake & plant in a jar...I've never thought to offer such a "snake toy". That's creatively awesome!

Black rat snakes (whether naturally black, albino or amelanistic) make great pets- easy to feed & handle, straight-forward to house, & yes, good swimmers.

Noodle is clearly a wonderful pet...thanks for sharing, you made my day! Rat snakes rock!
    The water jar was an accidental discovery (see my other reply in this thread).

She has been an awesome and sweet and even affectionate snake. My daughter (who owns a python) warned me that ratsnakes are grumpy and flighty and do the musk thing. I think getting her as a tiny thing and holding her every day has really created a nice bond between us, and I proved her wrong. In fact her ball python has bitten her and been hissy and grumpy at times-- but Noodle has never ever done that to me.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-18-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
    The water jar was an accidental discovery (see my other reply in this thread).

She has been an awesome and sweet and even affectionate snake. My daughter (who owns a python) warned me that ratsnakes are grumpy and flighty and do the musk thing. I think getting her as a tiny thing and holding her every day has really created a nice bond between us, and I proved her wrong. In fact her ball python has bitten her and been hissy and grumpy at times-- but Noodle has never ever done that to me.
    A very happy accident, lol... I love rat snakes because in general they're not put off by interaction & handling. Maybe it's because in the natural world, they aren't just
    hiding & waiting to ambush prey, they have to be flexible, & they have to get out there? I might also be prejudiced but the only rat snakes that are "grumpy, flighty
    & musky" are those that aren't really socialized, & you cannot expect a snake to just know it's safe with you, you have to demonstrate that, & when you do, they learn.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

distaff (11-23-2018)

Thanks
    I just love her! :-) This morning she was hanging out in her "tree" and she stuck her head out and easily came onto my hand. Usually I have to pick her up and untangle her. She knows me, and feels comfortable and *wants* to come out and hang out on my hand. She just sat there (as pictured) for a good 15 minutes before getting more active.

It's neat to earn the trust of a reptile. They are not programmed like dogs to like humans-- you have to really work with them and earn their trust and speak their language, so to speak.

I noticed today that Noodle's head is starting to show signs of the adult shape with more accented eye ridges than when I got her. I went to a reptile expo last weekend and saw a couple of adults and was amazed by how *big* they were, and how different their head shape was from when they are hatchlings. Surprisingly, our show had very few ratsnakes. Mostly Ball Pythons and cornsnakes and Boas, etc. I only actually saw two adult ratsnakes for sale and a few babies.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FollowTheSun For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-21-2018),Jus1More (11-22-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
    I just love her! :-) ....
    It's neat to earn the trust of a reptile. They are not programmed like dogs to like humans-- you have to really work with them and earn their trust and speak their language, so to speak.

.... I went to a reptile expo last weekend and saw a couple of adults and was amazed by how *big* they were, and how different their head shape was from when they are hatchlings. Surprisingly, our show had very few ratsnakes. Mostly Ball Pythons and cornsnakes and Boas, etc. I only actually saw two adult ratsnakes for sale and a few babies.
    I SO agree. Well said...she's such a pretty snake, & a really good size to hold, even as an adult. With easier care & a more out-going nature, most rat snakes make
    excellent pets. And you don't have to worry so much (like when handling them) about maintaining the tropical temperatures they need, as you do with boas & BPs.

There's something special- a feeling of oneness with nature- when holding a snake that trusts you...you can feel it.

It's a shame there isn't more variety in reptile "shows" these days...it would make more sense if BPs were easy pets to care for but they aren't. So the few rat snakes
    in attendance had their "ambassador work" cut out for them. It would actually be fairly "safe" for me to attend expos now, way less temptation.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (11-21-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Awwwe! Noodle is very stunning indeed. I am loving that color, as i have never seen that type of ratsnake before.
    Most ratsnakes are a little hard to find up here in Toronto. I had to really search for my trans pecos ratsnake, but it was worth every sleepless night until I got him safe and sound in my hands...Thank you for sharing!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Jus1More For This Useful Post:

FollowTheSun (11-23-2018)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast