Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 735

2 members and 733 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Thread: Best morphs

Thanks

Best morphs

Hi!
    I'm new here and a snake lover. I'm considering a ball python as my first snake as I love their tiny faces and they are just splendid. Also, my sister has a female pastel and she wants to start some babies. I would get an interesting morph male to start up with her. What morphs do you recommend, not too expensive. She loves colours but I love patterns. What are your recommendations?

Thanks

Re: Best morphs

Use the calculator on morph market. Enter the male and female morph type. It will give you a list of the possible offspring. If the offspring is highlighted in blue on the right hand side, you can click on it and see an example that is for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    If you want to keep it low price for now, but produce real beauties. I would look into buying a Pastel Lesser or Pastel Butter (really kind of the same). Or a Super Pastel Lesser or Super Pastel Butter.

They create such beautiful little snakes with great color and pattern and they stay beautiful when they grow up.

Please remember though, if you do this right, you WILL spend MORE money on items you need to buy/build, than you will make on selling hatchlings. Esp. the first year. Hatchlings also take quite the bit of time, work and effort.

If you go cheap in husbandry and enclosures, this will not turn out that great.

First of all, buy quality and healthy animals to breed with. House them correctly, with 100% correct husbandry. There are lots of threads on what to do (heat, humidity, thermostats, etc etc). Do your research about breeding.

Before you breed, you need to have a incubator ready. One that will keep the correct heat (regulated with a thermostat). Have egg boxes ready and all the "stuff" that goes with it (substrate, screen, thermometers, etc)

Have a hatchling rack ready. Again, regulated by a thermostat.

Have a source for food. Hatchlings can be tricky to get eating. Often they want to start on live food, usually mouse hoppers. When they refuse to eat, you will have to try again days later. That means some wasted food items.

Think about how and to who you want to sell. There isn't a market just anywhere, and if you breed lower priced animals, you can't ask premium prices either.

My advice, don't look at it as a profit making endeavor. Look at it as fun. As a hobby. One that might COST money, rather then make it. Breed the animals you enjoy, the ones you like. The ones you like to look at. Don't just go by what sells or makes money.

Here are a few hatchlings that came out of my Pastel Lesser female, a picture of her as well so you see an adult. You could also get Pastels and Super Pastels out of a breeding like that, which are also nice little animals

Adult Pastel Lesser

same one as a young one

some of her hatchlings

Last edited by zina10; 11-18-2018 at 03:35 PM.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Dianne (11-18-2018),Ronniex2 (11-19-2018),the_rotten1 (11-19-2018)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Food for the thoughts here by breeding a Pastel to a "not too expensive male" what will happen is that you will produce low end animals for which the market is already saturated. That means you could end up with 6 to 12 extra mouth to house and feed indefinitely.

Yes I know you probably don't want to breed for money however your "not too expensive male" will lead to some major expenses if you breed it, incubator, hatchling rack, buying extra feeders or in some cases having to breed your own.

It's gonna be your first snake so don't put the carriage before the horses by already thinking about breeding, breeding means knowing the basics such as genetics, possible outcomes, basic knowledge on the animal you will keep for the first time, breeding, market and much more.
    Deborah Stewart

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Dianne (11-18-2018),FollowTheSun (11-18-2018),Godzilla78 (11-18-2018),Kira (11-18-2018),PghBall (11-19-2018),Ronniex2 (11-19-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Food for the thoughts here by breeding a Pastel to a "not too expensive male" what will happen is that you will produce low end animals for which the market is already saturated. That means you could end up with 6 to 12 extra mouth to house and feed indefinitely.

Yes I know you probably don't want to breed for money however your "not too expensive male" will lead to some major expenses if you breed it, incubator, hatchling rack, buying extra feeders or in some cases having to breed your own.

It's gonna be your first snake so don't put the carriage before the horses by already thinking about breeding, breeding means knowing the basics such as genetics, possible outcomes, basic knowledge on the animal you will keep for the first time, breeding, market and much more.
    This
    Times 2

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

Ronniex2 (11-19-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    If you want to keep it low price for now, but produce real beauties. I would look into buying a Pastel Lesser or Pastel Butter (really kind of the same). Or a Super Pastel Lesser or Super Pastel Butter.

They create such beautiful little snakes with great color and pattern and they stay beautiful when they grow up.

Please remember though, if you do this right, you WILL spend MORE money on items you need to buy/build, than you will make on selling hatchlings. Esp. the first year. Hatchlings also take quite the bit of time, work and effort.

If you go cheap in husbandry and enclosures, this will not turn out that great.

First of all, buy quality and healthy animals to breed with. House them correctly, with 100% correct husbandry. There are lots of threads on what to do (heat, humidity, thermostats, etc etc). Do your research about breeding.

Before you breed, you need to have a incubator ready. One that will keep the correct heat (regulated with a thermostat). Have egg boxes ready and all the "stuff" that goes with it (substrate, screen, thermometers, etc)

Have a hatchling rack ready. Again, regulated by a thermostat.

Have a source for food. Hatchlings can be tricky to get eating. Often they want to start on live food, usually mouse hoppers. When they refuse to eat, you will have to try again days later. That means some wasted food items.

Think about how and to who you want to sell. There isn't a market just anywhere, and if you breed lower priced animals, you can't ask premium prices either.

My advice, don't look at it as a profit making endeavor. Look at it as fun. As a hobby. One that might COST money, rather then make it. Breed the animals you enjoy, the ones you like. The ones you like to look at. Don't just go by what sells or makes money.

Here are a few hatchlings that came out of my Pastel Lesser female, a picture of her as well so you see an adult. You could also get Pastels and Super Pastels out of a breeding like that, which are also nice little animals

Adult Pastel Lesser

same one as a young one

some of her hatchlings

They look super cute! 😍
    Like you said, itll be a hobby and an experience. I'll make sure the babies will be strong and well. My sister already has a couple of things for the incubation has she has Hermann Turtles. But I wouldn't like to be stuck with 6 baby snakes either so I'd prefer to get a very good snake just in case we follow with the project.
    Also, it's only a matter of permission as I am lowkey reading on snakes since I'm 5 yo and I am approaching my 23rd birthday. I just love those creatures 🐍🐍
    I saw a wonderful baby banana pastel he is tempting me xD