Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,681

3 members and 2,678 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    It may just be a funny picture, BUT if the cat is able to get up there, and has done it before, it will do it again. Perhaps when you aren't home.

One day someone will forget to shut that door (if that cat is even locked out of there)

Getting the lid off is nothing to that cat. Some even fall through the lids, bend them, knock heat lamps off (fire hazard). Just a all around bad idea. When you come to a forum such as that and post something, you have to take the good with the bad. A picture such as that is going to raise concerns, we've seen or read about the results of "cats+reptile" interactions all to often.

Of course the cat is attracted. This is a small moving animal in there, it slithers around. It triggers the hunting instinct of the cat, they can't help themselves. Pull a rope across the floor in front of your cat and see what happens.

The cornsnake doesn't look happy. It knows its confined and can't get away, so it does the only thing it can. Threatens. But it may feel great stress at this point. They know there is that animal right there that could kill them in a flash.

This is not interest or a relationship forming. This is a animal with a killer instinct trying to get at a moving target. While the snake is trying to defend its life.

Sometimes its more then a cute picture. This shouldn't be allowed it should be discouraged greatly by preventing the cat to get up there, whether people are home or not. Whether it can actually get into the enclosure or not.

I find scat mats and those cans with pressurized air and a motion detector work great to get cats to stay away from areas they shouldn't be in
    Last edited by zina10; 11-19-2018 at 10:49 AM.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-19-2018),Craiga 01453 (11-19-2018),distaff (11-19-2018),Hannahshissyfix (11-27-2018)

Thanks

Re: Giant in her own mind

I'm just not sure how to respond to some of you, especially without making myself out to be a jerk. Like I said, all our animals are cared for and kept safe. Sometimes a photo opportunity is just that and doesn't warrant any thought other than funny or not.
    1.0 platinum retic "woody"
    0.1 purple albino retic "Jessie"
    0.1 albino corn "evie"

Thanks

With all due respect, this forum exists mainly as a source to help people keep their reptiles in a healthy, safe, and secure fashion. The picture basically conveys a situation which at best shows at least one of the animals highly stressed (especially right after eating-even worse time for stress). The snake is not trying to eat your cat.

Corn snakes can escape in a second from those tanks with the sliding tops, which is why the innocent question of locks/clips came up which you didn't address. I'm assuming that there is a sliding lock of some sort on the bottom cage with the door partially open so whatever is in there won't be getting out.

You can't really expect to post a picture on this forum which depicts an animal in a possibly unsafe situation and not have people question and try to help. It's what we are here for

Ps-love that bottom enclosure!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Avsha531; 11-19-2018 at 01:22 PM.
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa - Sir Hiss🎩🐍
    0.1 Pastel Ball Python - Exzahrah
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Nymeria
    0.1 Suriname Red Tail BCC- Sascha
    0.1 WT Ball Python- Ariana
    1.0 Bumblebee Ball Python- Fabio

WISHLIST:
    Dumerils Boa
    Candino BP
    Granite IJ Carpet Python
    White Lipped Python
    Komodo Dragon

"​Normal is just a setting on the washing machine..."

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Avsha531 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-19-2018),zina10 (11-19-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Avsha531 View Post
    With all due respect, this forum exists mainly as a source to help people keep their reptiles in a healthy, safe, and secure fashion. The picture basically conveys a situation which at best shows at least one of the animals highly stressed (especially right after eating-even worse time for stress). The snake is not trying to eat your cat.

Corn snakes can escape in a second from those tanks with the sliding tops, which is why the innocent question of locks/clips came up which you didn't address. I'm assuming that there is a sliding lock of some sort on the bottom cage with the door partially open so whatever is in there won't be getting out.

You can't really expect to post a picture on this forum which depicts an animal in a possibly unsafe situation and not have people question and try to help. It's what we are here for

Ps-love that bottom enclosure!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Yup. We're here to help and to educate while sharing our love and passion for the animals. Posting pictures of animals in potentially dangerous situations is going to warrant the responses that have been made.

At the end of the day, it's all about the animals, and snakes interacting with cats is not a smart practice

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-19-2018),zina10 (11-19-2018)

Thanks

thought I'd pitch in here... My cat LOVED to get on top of my snake's enclosure when she was in a 10 gallon, whether it's because of the small moving wriggling animal he'd love to eat, or he felt the heat from the hot side and loved basking. However, I HATED this behavior personally; so when I moved Kira into a bigger final enclosure, I put a layer of double sided tape on the top of the enclosure, just covering the plastic doors - the mesh is still uncovered so that ventilation can happen and I can still open the plastic doors, but the cat won't jump up because he doesn't want to get his paws stuck!

it created a situation of safety that the snake has her own personal escape, and the cat has found another, further away perch from which to observe without barging into Kira's personal space. I'm definitely not telling anyone how to live their life, just thought this would be a good time to share my own experience with my overly-curious cat!
    o { I do admire your courage. I think I'll eat your heart. } o

0.1 Normal Ball Python - Kira

1.0 Pointer mix - Duke
    0.1 GSD - Nikita
    1.0 Cat - Simba

Thanks

I appreciate everyone's concern, I honestly do. I just wish we wouldn't be so quick to jump to conclusions sometimes. I give everyone here the benifit of the doubt that they know what they're doing and care about their animals and don't really understand jumping to the worst case scenario. That being said I will be more careful in what I post in the future, this is the only good forum left I can find and don't want any bad blood.

As far as the big cage in the picture, it's painted "grandmas sweater" blue. It's the blue from toy story to go with them being named after toy story characters. Have a matching cage in the garage waiting on doors. Once it's done and moved in I'll have to post some more pictures. BTW, the 4x2x2 my female is currently in will become the cornsnake a new mansion.
    1.0 platinum retic "woody"
    0.1 purple albino retic "Jessie"
    0.1 albino corn "evie"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12