Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,538

1 members and 3,537 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Sick ball python question

I got my first ball python less than six months ago. He was a healthy looking sub adult. About a month into owning him I started to notice respiratory infection signs such as wheezing and puffing. I take full responsibility for potentially causing this. I did my research before getting him from an expo but actually owning a snake is different then doing hours of research on how to own one. My husbandry was not perfect. I've had to made a lot of corrections. Now he is in a 40 gallon breeder with a regulated heat mat and a 100 watt black incadecant bulb. Temps are 92 basking and 84 ambient/cool side.

Long story short I took rusty to the vet as soon as I noticed signs of an ri. He was put on fortaz without a culture being done. At the time I did not do enough research to know that a culture should be the FIRST thing that is done. So basically my poor baby had almost 2 months of fortaz shots for no reason. It was my fault. I should have demanded a culture from the begininng but I didn't know anybetter. He has not eaten since beginning of August right around the time I noticed the wheezing, clicking, and puffing. I have not offered food recently because I know that he wont be interested in eating until we get him healthy. So about 4 vet visits later, a swab culture/sensitivity was done. 3 different bacteria were grown out from the culture. One being a strain of MRSA... my question is has anyone heard of MRSA potientally causing a sick snake? He is going to be put on Amerikacin injections on Monday.

Thanks

Re: Sick ball python question

Another thing I forgot to add is that during the first vet visit in August he weighed 1250 grams.. since then he has lost 100 grams. What can I do about this? He looks healthy he is not super skinny at all. I'm worried about him... the vet said usually when a reptile loses 10% of thier weight tube feeding is an option.... any feed back will help

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elro1717 View Post
    One being a strain of MRSA... my question is has anyone heard of MRSA potientally causing a sick snake?
    In my experience usually Methicillin-Resistant Staph Aureus (MRSA) pops up as a secondary infection in animals due to a suppressed immune system. The only thing that makes MRSA special is its resistance to Methicillin based drugs (e.g. the pencillin family/complexes) that disrupt the single-layer bacterial cell walls. A broad spectrum aminoglycoside like Amerikacin which targets bacterial ribosomes should clear it up. Just focus on maintaining proper husbandry and you should be fine.

And only tube feed as a final measure to prevent death due to starvation.
    *.* TNTC

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (11-17-2018),Craiga 01453 (11-18-2018),Sunnieskys (11-17-2018),zina10 (11-17-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Sorril View Post
    In my experience usually Methicillin-Resistant Staph Aureus (MRSA) pops up as a secondary infection in animals due to a suppressed immune system. The only thing that makes MRSA special is its resistance to Methicillin based drugs (e.g. the pencillin family/complexes) that disrupt the single-layer bacterial cell walls. A broad spectrum aminoglycoside like Amerikacin which targets bacterial ribosomes should clear it up. Just focus on maintaining proper husbandry and you should be fine.

And only tube feed as a final measure to prevent death due to starvation.
    Thank you very much.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    A 100 gram loss of weight in a ball python that size isn't too big of a deal. Half of that could easily be from when he last took a dump.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (11-18-2018),zina10 (11-17-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    I agree, tube feeding is not something I would attempt just yet.

Stress is poison to a immune system, and his has taken a beating as is. What he needs most is 1. the correct meds and treatment 2. PRIVACY and as low stress as possible.

Of course you have to do treatment and maintenance, but that should be the only stress he has at this point. Tube and force feeding adds a lot of stress to a snake. Ball Pythons are literally perfected for the lifestyle of eating lots when there is plenty (in the wild) and then fasting and living off of what they have eaten for months, during the time when food is scarce or non existent. (by season) This is completely normal to them.

Of course things change when you factor in a sick animal, a starved one, or a hatchling that has never eaten.

But your boy has eaten, is still at a good weight, and it shouldn't hurt him to fast some more. Right now you have to concentrate on getting rid of the URI and secondary infections/bacteria.

Make sure husbandry is spot on, and give a ton of privacy. If you haven't done so already, I would black out the sides and back of the tank. You can use black construction paper (on the outside). You can even put a thin sheet of insulation such as styrofoam around the sides and back of tank, it will help hold the heat in. I would also cover most of the top, leaving it open around the light of course, and for enough air flow.

You want him to feel as safe as possible in between treatments.

Good luck, sounds like you are on the right path now!
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (11-18-2018),Sunnieskys (11-17-2018)

Thanks

Thank you guys. Tank is insulated with a 1/4" foil type insulation I got at a hardware store.. screen top is covered with the same type of material.. helps insulate as well as reflect heat back into the enclosure

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elro1717 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (11-18-2018),Dianne (11-17-2018),zina10 (11-17-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elro1717 View Post
    Thank you guys. Tank is insulated with a 1/4" foil type insulation I got at a hardware store.. screen top is covered with the same type of material.. helps insulate as well as reflect heat back into the enclosure
    You've gotten some great advice above. Follow their advice and your snake should rebound nicely.

And it's important, so I'll reiterate what was said above, proper husbandry, no stress, no tubefeeding or assist feeding. All very important.

Best of luck and please keep us posted!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

zina10 (11-18-2018)

Thanks

GOOD NEWS. Something told me to offer a f/t last night and he took it. First time eating in almost 4 months. I have really made an effort to keep his ambient temps up as much as possible. I have noticed less open mouth breathing and elevated head which lead me to try feeding him. First time I had offered food in about a month and he wasted no time. He will be going on amerkacin this week... I am feeling a lot better now that he has gotten a meal in him... thank you guys... god is good. It's time for him to kick this and get back on the right track. I have gotten his husbandry down perfect.. there really is a science to it haha
    Last edited by Elro1717; 11-18-2018 at 06:51 PM.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elro1717 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (11-19-2018),Dianne (11-18-2018),FollowTheSun (11-18-2018),Zincubus (11-18-2018)