Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,233

2 members and 3,231 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Lighting - Conflicting Opinions

Thanks again for your responses. I didn't think that was enough natural light but just wanted to get some assurance before I put each of the enclosures on a timer and run the LEDs.
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

cletus (11-18-2018),richardhind1972 (11-18-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Here’s a quick picture of the extent of natural light that I have coming through the basement where my snakes are kept. As you can see we have two small transom windows on opposite ends of the basement which generate minimal light. Still think I need to supplement with running the LED lights in the enclosure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'd do LEDs in cages like Richard said. That is pretty dark imo. And the snakes would make use of the day/night cycle. All my boas boa but the most seen results are from my GTPs. When the lights come on for them, they both go to the back and curl up and sleep. Then about an hour before lights go out, they start to stir and when lights do go out, they make their way to the front of the cage and assume the hunting perch position all night. The boas are the same to a lesser extent. When lights go out with them, they come out from their hides or under the shelf and start cruising around.

My basement is brighter than that and i still use the AP LEDs(when they arent broken and i need to replace them lol).
    Last edited by Sauzo; 11-18-2018 at 02:31 PM.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (11-18-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post

My basement is brighter than that and i still use the AP LEDs(when they arent broken and i need to replace them lol).
    That's a pretty sweet setup Sauzo. How long do the AP LEDs usually last and how easy and how much are they to replace?
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Thanks. Me and AP lights don't get along. They last a few months for me. Luckily Ali sends me replacements free lol.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (11-19-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    That's a pretty sweet setup Sauzo. How long do the AP LEDs usually last and how easy and how much are they to replace?
    I've had an AP T8 with their white LEDs for just about a year now with no issues. They've been running 12 on 12 off for the whole time for me.

Just another data point.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (11-19-2018)

Thanks
    There is no question that lighting will affect a boa’s behavior and I’m not just referring to day/night times (ratio). The amount of day/night ratio is important but less so than the changing of the ratio. What I mean by this is how the ratio applies to seasons and the effects it has on boa habits. Even boas on the equator are tuned in to seasonal changes. We know this because young are born at relatively the same time of year for wild boas…they are tuned in to their surroundings -day/ night ratio/temps. These surroundings can and should be applied to some extent while in captivity. Ok, few will disagree that providing a day night ratio in concert with temps and feeding that reflect the reality of those ratios (cooler in winter with shorter days, less food and the opposite for summer) is anything other than good housekeeping for your boa…but now let’s go back to lighting affecting boas.

I’ve done lighting many ways over the years and there is no question in my mind that direct lighting in the enclosure for boas is not the best way to provide a day/night cycle…or anything else for that matter. I’m not saying it can’t work, I’m not saying your boa will burst into flames and I’m not saying you shouldn’t turn on the light in the enclosure to enjoy your boa from time to time but it is not the best way and your snake will show you the truth with their behavior if you remove direct lighting in the enclosure. I know, some of you are thinking snakes bask in the sun and you would be correct but a few decades of gathering information on wild snakes will show anyone that they use the sun when it is required to raise their body temp…they are not into hanging out on the beach like humans, they would rather watch things from the shadows. I gather data on wild bull and hognose snakes every year for a local university (sometimes more than 10 a day) …the best time to find them is when outside temps are between 55 and 70 in early spring because they need the sun to reach their preferred body temp (and its time to breed).

Direct lighting in a boa enclosure can make them choose security over temp. It can cause undue stress. This is especially true for young boas. The very best way to control day/night cycle is with ambient light through a window in the room. This is also helpful for those of us who provide seasons…as the amount of daylight is shrinking the outside temp is also going down. If you don’t have a window use a light in the room on a timer and adjust the timer to coincide with the daylight length for your location. It doesn’t take much light…ever been in a rainforest? I use to try to mimic daylight hours from where the snake is from...crazy. Snakes have been around for a very long time. They have stuff written in their genes to respond to heat/light/cycles we only theorize on but even a Suriname boa that doesn't see anywhere near the day/night ratio in the homeland compared to here in MN will adapt and follow the massive change in ratio here with ease. Light has a power over boas...

Back to removing the light from inside the enclosure and your boa behaving differently…
    Even young boa will move around during the day if they feel secure and lower light levels will help this. Even more so for adults. What do your boas look like when they are resting? I would have alarm bells going off in my head if I saw one of my boas tightly coiled in the corner and it wasn’t about going into shed or digestion. A secure boa will be loosely coiled, a ‘U’shape. None of this is written in stone and not all boas are the same but I challenge you to make some lighting changes and see for yourself…If you have met the other needs of your boa and remove direct lighting from the enclosure…you will see a change.
    Hard to believe but this is only some of my thoughts on this...

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bns For This Useful Post:

cletus (03-05-2019),Gio (03-05-2019),Saml8 (03-22-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bns View Post
    There is no question that lighting will affect a boa’s behavior and I’m not just referring to day/night times (ratio). The amount of day/night ratio is important but less so than the changing of the ratio. What I mean by this is how the ratio applies to seasons and the effects it has on boa habits. Even boas on the equator are tuned in to seasonal changes. We know this because young are born at relatively the same time of year for wild boas…they are tuned in to their surroundings -day/ night ratio/temps. These surroundings can and should be applied to some extent while in captivity. Ok, few will disagree that providing a day night ratio in concert with temps and feeding that reflect the reality of those ratios (cooler in winter with shorter days, less food and the opposite for summer) is anything other than good housekeeping for your boa…but now let’s go back to lighting affecting boas.

I’ve done lighting many ways over the years and there is no question in my mind that direct lighting in the enclosure for boas is not the best way to provide a day/night cycle…or anything else for that matter. I’m not saying it can’t work, I’m not saying your boa will burst into flames and I’m not saying you shouldn’t turn on the light in the enclosure to enjoy your boa from time to time but it is not the best way and your snake will show you the truth with their behavior if you remove direct lighting in the enclosure. I know, some of you are thinking snakes bask in the sun and you would be correct but a few decades of gathering information on wild snakes will show anyone that they use the sun when it is required to raise their body temp…they are not into hanging out on the beach like humans, they would rather watch things from the shadows. I gather data on wild bull and hognose snakes every year for a local university (sometimes more than 10 a day) …the best time to find them is when outside temps are between 55 and 70 in early spring because they need the sun to reach their preferred body temp (and its time to breed).

Direct lighting in a boa enclosure can make them choose security over temp. It can cause undue stress. This is especially true for young boas. The very best way to control day/night cycle is with ambient light through a window in the room. This is also helpful for those of us who provide seasons…as the amount of daylight is shrinking the outside temp is also going down. If you don’t have a window use a light in the room on a timer and adjust the timer to coincide with the daylight length for your location. It doesn’t take much light…ever been in a rainforest? I use to try to mimic daylight hours from where the snake is from...crazy. Snakes have been around for a very long time. They have stuff written in their genes to respond to heat/light/cycles we only theorize on but even a Suriname boa that doesn't see anywhere near the day/night ratio in the homeland compared to here in MN will adapt and follow the massive change in ratio here with ease. Light has a power over boas...

Back to removing the light from inside the enclosure and your boa behaving differently…
    Even young boa will move around during the day if they feel secure and lower light levels will help this. Even more so for adults. What do your boas look like when they are resting? I would have alarm bells going off in my head if I saw one of my boas tightly coiled in the corner and it wasn’t about going into shed or digestion. A secure boa will be loosely coiled, a ‘U’shape. None of this is written in stone and not all boas are the same but I challenge you to make some lighting changes and see for yourself…If you have met the other needs of your boa and remove direct lighting from the enclosure…you will see a change.
    Hard to believe but this is only some of my thoughts on this...
    Excellent post, and well written as always. As I mentioned in another post I've learned a lot from BNS over the years regarding boa care, and I like conversations related to the natural habitat and behaviors of snakes.

I am dealing with a similar situation when it comes to providing lighting in the cages. Like the O/P, I have the cages in a room without light, not even tiny windows. The only artificial light option is from an overhead/ceiling fixture that can't be hooked up to a timer.

I increase and decrease daylight hours and also cage temperatures to align with the seasonal changes. If your choices are limited to in cage/direct lighting, I would recommend providing hides or constructing something with the decor that will make the light in the cage less direct.

I use LED strips and set them on the low setting. The boa and royal use their hides frequently although I do catch them out more often starting around this time of year. The carpet python rarely uses a hide and the reticulated python does use a hide however he is more active and will perch mid day or sprawl out. I would really like to see the cages get true sunlight but that option isn't available here.

You can see in this photo that the hides block out the majority of the direct light. I have the lights set a bit further back to illuminate the rock backgrounds yet it leaves the front of the cage fairly dark and there is very little light in the hides. The boa is a bout 7' long and easily fits in the hides. I put in a different light in the top cage since this photo was taken. It is adjusted to be more dim. These lights also appear brighter than they are. They are slightly overexposed due to the fact the picture was taken in complete darkness.

In the evenings, I provide a few hours of LED moonlight. As I understand it, this type of light doesn't bother a snake but I could be wrong. I do catch them all out when I have the blue lights on, even the royal makes a showing. At the end of the day the cages are totally blacked out for night time.

At the end of the day, a real light cycle, with real sunlight is the way to go.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (03-06-2019)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12