Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,059

1 members and 3,058 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Anxiety of waiting on an animal you are paying for or have paid for to arrive?

Anxiety of waiting on an animal you are paying for or have paid for to arrive? Share your stories. I have 2 months to go on Aurora. The wait is killing me.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I actually stress much more with the decision to buy. Once I hit the PayPal site, the money is sent, the animal will be mine, and my emotions are out of it. I had to wait out some blustery winter weather for the Sonoran Gopher to be safely sent from Vermont. Took weeks. Was excited to see her, but no anxiety - she was in good hands with her breeder.

I do worry on FedEx day. I trust no one, and always imagine the sorting people throwing boxes around for the amusement of it.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    As long as I'm getting regular updates from the breeder, I'm not worried. They're paid for. We're currently waiting out a cold front here before any chance of a window. So I don't know that I'll see anything I've bought online before spring. If we get an odd warmfront and some nice days and can ship, well, I'm ready for them.

Paul

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Re: Anxiety of waiting on an animal you are paying for or have paid for to arrive?

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    I actually stress much more with the decision to buy. Once I hit the PayPal site, the money is sent, the animal will be mine, and my emotions are out of it. I had to wait out some blustery winter weather for the Sonoran Gopher to be safely sent from Vermont. Took weeks. Was excited to see her, but no anxiety - she was in good hands with her breeder.

I do worry on FedEx day. I trust no one, and always imagine the sorting people throwing boxes around for the amusement of it.
    She is coming from Prehistoric Pets so not to worried about her being safe till she ships. I know they will take great care of her. The WAIT is just eating at me. LOL. I am like a kid in the candy store that was told to wait 6 months to eat the candy. Shipping day I will be checking every 5 minuets for sure.

Registered User Mc.mischievous7's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Anxiety of waiting on an animal you are paying for or have paid for to arrive?

I order Mystic 2 days before my birthday expecting it to get here ON my birthday. How wrong was I. He stated that he will ship it on the 5th of November and I should recieve him by the 6th. Bummer! So I had to wait a whole week and four day to get him. I was very sad and anxious at the same time. I was literally counted down the days. Lol. And then the day finally arrive!!! He arrive! He arrived that morning but I couldn't pick him up until I got off from work which was until 5pm. I promise to you, time was moving soooooo slow that day. I thought I would never get off from work. Lol but I did. I arrive to FedEx facility and got Mystic. Took him home and let's just say he wasnt a happy snake. He was so ready to get out that bag. Hissing at me. Plus he was very cold. I felt really bad. But once he got into his enclosure he was okay. As of now he his a wonderful noodle, he stop hissing at me and I believe he is getting use to me. Which makes me happy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mc.mischievous7 For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-17-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    For future reference, if you can't pick your snake up when he is delivered at your Hub, you should delay shipping until a day you don't work.

If he had been DoA and you hadn't gotten him until 5pm, you'd be really hosed, and he doesn't deserve that.

Best,

Paul

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pbenner For This Useful Post:

Dianne (11-16-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pbenner View Post
    For future reference, if you can't pick your snake up when he is delivered at your Hub, you should delay shipping until a day you don't work.

If he had been DoA and you hadn't gotten him until 5pm, you'd be really hosed, and he doesn't deserve that.

Best,

Paul
    Thanks for the advice but I understand that. And I knew the risk. Ofc he doesn't deserve it but I had to do what I had to do. All that matter is the fact that he DID NOT DOA and he arrived safely and in his enclosure safe and sound as we speak.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mc.mischievous7 View Post
    Thanks for the advice but I understand that. And I knew the risk. Ofc he doesn't deserve it but I had to do what I had to do. All that matter is the fact that he DID NOT DOA and he arrived safely and in his enclosure safe and sound as we speak.

"Do what you had to do" - Does this mean you put you desire to have your new pet in advance of his health? I understand people work, I work, hell, most weeks I put in 55-60 hours, but I also make sure that when I've got an animal (any animal) coming in that I can either have it delivered to my work address where I have a temporary holding setup done, or that I can pick them up or get their delivery from the drive when they arrive.

It is not all that matters is that he arrived alive and well. It's important, yes, but you said it yourself he was cold to the touch when you got him.

From what I've gathered since joining this group is that responsible keeping is the #1 goal here. I align well with that, and what you describe above is not responsible. I am sure more than one person on here has told you that this shouldn't happen. I hope you don't let it happen again, but if you do, I pray for the safety of your future snakes.

Best,

Paul

Thanks

"Do what you had to do" - Does this mean you put you desire to have your new pet in advance of his health? I understand people work, I work, hell, most weeks I put in 55-60 hours, but I also make sure that when I've got an animal (any animal) coming in that I can either have it delivered to my work address where I have a temporary holding setup done, or that I can pick them up or get their delivery from the drive when they arrive.

It is not all that matters is that he arrived alive and well. It's important, yes, but you said it yourself he was cold to the touch when you got him.

From what I've gathered since joining this group is that responsible keeping is the #1 goal here. I align well with that, and what you describe above is not responsible. I am sure more than one person on here has told you that this shouldn't happen. I hope you don't let it happen again, but if you do, I pray for the safety of your future snakes.

Best,

Paul
    Do what I have to do meaning I had to go to work and being that I had no one at my house to pick u the animal when he arrived would of been a bad idea. He would of DOA for sure that day. But if you want to come at me and tell me what I did wrong or how I should go about doing something in the future in regards to handling my snake(s), then please DM me. Not, post it on someone else forum thread. This "conversation" has nothing to do with the topic here.

To the author of this forum: I do apologize. And your snak looks beautiful by the way. Aurora is a beautiful name.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Best,

Paul
    Not everyone has the means to take time off work to receive an animal due to their field of work not allowing vacation at certain times or other personal circumstances. It isn't ideal, but as long as the reptile is held at the hub and not delivered to their porch, there is not a need for this level of criticism.

I've picked up deliveries as they arrived at a local hub first thing in the morning, and the boxes are kept inside the hub once they arrive where the temps range 60-75 degrees. I think few species would find this cold enough to result in a death post arrival without a pre-existing secondary issue within the length of a working day (i.e. snake was sold with poor immune function or existing RI, etc.).

At the end of the day, it is a personal decision and your opinion is out there for any other users to see and take into account.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Mc.mischievous7 (11-16-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast