Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,923

0 members and 2,923 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

hoggie not eating

so my hoggie is about a year and 6 months old. i dont technically own her as she lives with a friend due to certain circumstances. so i dont know her size or weight. anyways, she went from eating every 3 days (shes been tiny) for about 3 months to now shes not eating anything at all for about 3-5 weeks (unsure) she was on day old pinkies, but theyre buying her fuzzies now as shes not eating. i was thinking depending on how much shes grown (i havent seen her in person in a few months) is her tub maybe too small? shes in a 2q tub ive been debating on putting her in a 6q flat one. my other possibility is that its just a hunger strike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: hoggie not eating

temps are 76 ambient (which are low) and i think he said the thermostat is at 80, which i told him to up aswell. humidity is at 37%

this is her compared to the 2.7q

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by baldegale View Post
    so my hoggie is about a year and 6 months old. i dont technically own her as she lives with a friend due to certain circumstances. so i dont know her size or weight. anyways, she went from eating every 3 days (shes been tiny) for about 3 months to now shes not eating anything at all for about 3-5 weeks (unsure) she was on day old pinkies, but theyre buying her fuzzies now as shes not eating. i was thinking depending on how much shes grown (i havent seen her in person in a few months) is her tub maybe too small? shes in a 2q tub ive been debating on putting her in a 6q flat one. my other possibility is that its just a hunger strike?

Deborah is the hoggie expert on this site but I’ll kick in my two cents because I’ve had trouble in the past. T

1) If you mean that your hot spot is set to 80 degrees, that’s way too low. You’re going to want to bring that up to at least 88. Ambients may also be a little low at 76, but definitely fix the hot spot.

2) If she has been eating every 3 days and she is a year and a half old, there is no way she would fit in a 2.7qt tub. What are you feeding her? If you only got her when she was a year and three months old, the breeder must have been starving her based on her size comparison to the 2.7qt tub.

3) Hoggies generally like smaller spaces, so putting her in a bigger tub while she’s having feeding issues will probably make things worse.

I think bringing up the temps will get her back on track.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cron14 For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (11-15-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cron14 View Post
    Deborah is the hoggie expert on this site but I’ll kick in my two cents because I’ve had trouble in the past. T

1) If you mean that your hot spot is set to 80 degrees, that’s way too low. You’re going to want to bring that up to at least 88. Ambients may also be a little low at 76, but definitely fix the hot spot.

2) If she has been eating every 3 days and she is a year and a half old, there is no way she would fit in a 2.7qt tub. What are you feeding her? If you only got her when she was a year and three months old, the breeder must have been starving her based on her size comparison to the 2.7qt tub.

3) Hoggies generally like smaller spaces, so putting her in a bigger tub while she’s having feeding issues will probably make things worse.

I think bringing up the temps will get her back on track.
    i got her when she was around 5-6 months old and she only weighed 12gr. she just had eating problems and actually shes been one eating two day old pinkies every 3 days for about 6 months, my bad on that. but i got her in january and she didnt even start eating til late february and didnt eat consistently until mid may.

i told my friend to raise the temps and i figured that was the problem too, in the instructions paper i gave him i specifically told him to keep the thermostat set at 96 (it keeps the hot spot at 89-90) but he had it set at 80. and that the ambient temps should be 78-80

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by baldegale View Post
    i got her when she was around 5-6 months old and she only weighed 12gr. she just had eating problems and actually shes been one eating two day old pinkies every 3 days for about 6 months, my bad on that. but i got her in january and she didnt even start eating til late february and didnt eat consistently until mid may.

i told my friend to raise the temps and i figured that was the problem too, in the instructions paper i gave him i specifically told him to keep the thermostat set at 96 (it keeps the hot spot at 89-90) but he had it set at 80. and that the ambient temps should be 78-80

It took me a long time to get my hoggie eating so I understand your frustration. Assuming raising the temps gets her eating again, I’d get her started on fuzzies as soon as possible. From my understanding, pinkies have little nutrition. Good luck

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cron14 View Post
    It took me a long time to get my hoggie eating so I understand your frustration. Assuming raising the temps gets her eating again, I’d get her started on fuzzies as soon as possible. From my understanding, pinkies have little nutrition. Good luck
    pinkies were used more or less because i bought a 6 month supply when i first got her

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gonna need info if you want the right advice such as current weight first and foremost.

After that a description on how she is being fed.

Are you positive it is a female?

How often she is handled?

Right now all I can say is raise the ambient temps to 80/84 and based on the picture do not upgrade the tub size (this is not the time to do so since the animal does not eat)
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Gonna need info if you want the right advice such as current weight first and foremost.

After that a description on how she is being fed.

Are you positive it is a female?

How often she is handled?

Right now all I can say is raise the ambient temps to 80/84 and based on the picture do not upgrade the tub size (this is not the time to do so since the animal does not eat)
    breeder said it was a female, the mouse is being put in the tub and being left overnight til she eats. im going over there asap to get weight. she was handled every other day but not since she hasnt veen eating