Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,046

0 members and 3,046 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Unhappy New snake has respiratory infection?

So, I recently got a Mandarin ratsnake. I purchased him on Saturday at a reptile expo and as of Wednesday he is showing what I believe to be advanced signs of a respiratory infection (clicking noises and gaping). Is it safe to assume he was sick when I bought him? How long does it take for symptoms to appear usually? I just feel so bad, I checked him over before purchase and nothing stood out as abnormal.

He has a vet appointment on Monday. If it is a respiratory infection, should I contact the seller? Should I expect anything from them or should I consider it a lost cause? This was a relatively pricey snake for me and I feel like he hasn't been in my care long enough for it to be anything I've done. But, I understand expos are stressful for the animals.

This is my first experience with a sick animal and it feels horrible. He's so small I did lots of research and felt fully prepared going into it but now I feel kind of overwhelmed. I would be grateful for any tips or opinions on the matter. I still consider myself rather new to the hobby and not very well versed in seller/buyer etiquette. If that makes sense.

Also, is there anything I can do in the meantime to help him out?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    Sometimes stress from shipping or moving to a new home can cause an RI to flare up in an outwardly healthy animal. I would definitely let the seller know.

Until the vet visit keep your snake a touch warmer and more humid than usual to help alleviate the symptoms. Think about when you are congested and get into a hot, steamy shower - it's easier to expel mucous and usually you feel better when you get out.

Also it should be in a minimal setup - on paper, two hides, and water bowl - to make it easier to disinfect the enclosure. You don't want her contaminating substrate and then re-infecting herself constantly.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-15-2018),dakski (11-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: New snake has respiratory infection?

I had, and I am still dealing with, a similar experience with a carpet python. His shipment was delayed/lost and he got to me much later than anticipated. Within a day, pops, and within two days, wheezing and mucus coming out of the nose. Not good.

Stress from shipping, or anything else, can cause them. If you catch early, there is hope. Make sure you go to a reputable vet who does a tracheal wash/flush to determine what's causing the RI and bacterial, what bacteria, so they know what to prescribe.

Yafe, my carpet, is on his second antibiotic, and it's being given to him via nebulizer, and he's slowly, but surely improving.

Also, probably goes without saying, but he's being properly quarantined, correct? Simple enclosure, as bcr229 said, but also being kept away from other animals, handled last, or clothes changed and extra hand washing, etc. if you have to go back to another animal, separate tools (feeding tongs, hooks, etc.), hides, bowls, etc.?

Thanks
    Yeah, he's in quarantine.He's on cypress mulch right now but I'll switch to papertowls. How often should I disinfect? Is once a week enough and can I use a diluted bleach solution? I have nine other snakes and I don't want anything to spread

Unfortunately I'm limited in my vet choices as I live in a very rural area. Are there any red flags I should look for during his appointment on Monday? I'll be sure to ask for the tracheal wash. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I would NOT use bleach...it's very strong & the fumes are difficult to rinse away. If any remains, they are irritating & toxic for the snake to breathe. Much easier
    to use diluted chlorhexidine (<that's generic, or Nolvasan), or F10, since cages can be wiped but as long as they're dry, they don't require rinsing like bleach does.
    Bleach has it's place, but right now I'd say it's over-kill. I'd only clean (disinfect) his cage when it's soiled...more than that adds stress which isn't good for their
    immune system, any more than it is for ours. For having him in quarantine. Does your local vet treat snakes? Don't assume, ask: because many meds are
    toxic to snakes that are safe for other animals. I can remember many years ago when I first got into snakes & assumed that all vets treat snakes too because they
    love all animals...um, not so.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    Usually the vet prescribes injected antibiotics that are administered every three days. Since I was taking the snake out of the enclosure anyway I cleaned and disinfected the enclosure at those times. I used F10SC but if you don't have any on hand you can find chlorhexidine locally at a drug store. Would not recommend bleach or ammonia.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bee101 View Post
    So, I recently got a Mandarin ratsnake. I purchased him on Saturday at a reptile expo and as of Wednesday he is showing what I believe to be advanced signs of a respiratory infection (clicking noises and gaping). Is it safe to assume he was sick when I bought him? How long does it take for symptoms to appear usually? I just feel so bad, I checked him over before purchase and nothing stood out as abnormal.

He has a vet appointment on Monday. If it is a respiratory infection, should I contact the seller? Should I expect anything from them or should I consider it a lost cause? This was a relatively pricey snake for me and I feel like he hasn't been in my care long enough for it to be anything I've done. But, I understand expos are stressful for the animals.

This is my first experience with a sick animal and it feels horrible. He's so small I did lots of research and felt fully prepared going into it but now I feel kind of overwhelmed. I would be grateful for any tips or opinions on the matter. I still consider myself rather new to the hobby and not very well versed in seller/buyer etiquette. If that makes sense.

Also, is there anything I can do in the meantime to help him out?

Hi. How was your Mandarin?!
    Mine is doing the exact same thing as you describe now–a Mandarin.
    Wondering if it's behavioural but it's new behaviour.
    I've been Nebulising with F10.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Madame X View Post
    Hi. How was your Mandarin?!
    Mine is doing the exact same thing as you describe now–a Mandarin.
    Wondering if it's behavioural but it's new behaviour.
    I've been Nebulising with F10.
    This is an old thread (over a year) so it would be best to start a new thread for your snake...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dr del (03-24-2020)