Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,826

2 members and 2,824 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Negative comments

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    Same here. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve explained snake sizes and feeding habits. If I had a quarter for each, I’d be able to buy some really nice morphs with the cages and full setup. lol
    For some reason the most ridiculous "old wives tales" just keep getting re-born & re-shared. And just to be fair, "old husbands" spread their share of tall-tales too.
    Snakes lying next to people to measure & plan their meal is totally !

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Dianne (11-15-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    For some reason the most ridiculous "old wives tales" just keep getting re-born & re-shared. And just to be fair, "old husbands" spread their share of tall-tales too.
    Snakes lying next to people to measure & plan their meal is totally !
    I work at a place that has on site housing for some seasonal employees. Security last week went into full SWAT mode when they found out one of the residents had a snake in her dorm. Someone recommended they talk to me because they knew I had snakes. I said "calm down, first find out what species it is. It's probably a ball python or a corn snake." It was a ball python, I recommended doing nothing. They probably made her remove it though because the no pet policy is pretty clear. I couldn't believe the fear "snake" caused. It was crazy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SMTHook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-15-2018)

Thanks

Unfortunately we all have to deal with this. I work at a non-exotic small animal hospital where everyone is supposed to "love" animals, but I've had co-workers say - "Do bring that snake here, I'd kill it with a shovel" and such. It's hurtful and mean spirited. The last time someone said something like that to me I just reminded them that we are all different and I don't threaten to kill their Yorkie and I'd appreciate that they not speak about my pets that way. There are a few of us with reptiles, rats, ferrets, etc and we all get rude comments when speaking about our non-traditional pets.

I sometimes have to take my ferret with me, and all I hear all day is how bad she smells...the funny thing is, I got the "eww, that ferret stinks. How can you live with such smell in your house" comment on a day when I set up her kennel (with clean towels, litter pan, and food) but the ferret was at home. I was going to go home at lunch to pick her up. Exotics are attached to many stigmas, but at least here we can all talk about our pets without judgment - no offense to any Yorkie owners ;p

It happens a lot - the only advice I have (unfortunately) is to grow thicker scales so the comments don't hit so deep
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Crowfingers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-15-2018),Dianne (11-16-2018),Mc.mischievous7 (11-16-2018),MissterDog (11-16-2018)

Registered User Mc.mischievous7's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crowfingers View Post
    Unfortunately we all have to deal with this. I work at a non-exotic small animal hospital where everyone is supposed to "love" animals, but I've had co-workers say - "Do bring that snake here, I'd kill it with a shovel" and such. It's hurtful and mean spirited. The last time someone said something like that to me I just reminded them that we are all different and I don't threaten to kill their Yorkie and I'd appreciate that they not speak about my pets that way. There are a few of us with reptiles, rats, ferrets, etc and we all get rude comments when speaking about our non-traditional pets.

I sometimes have to take my ferret with me, and all I hear all day is how bad she smells...the funny thing is, I got the "eww, that ferret stinks. How can you live with such smell in your house" comment on a day when I set up her kennel (with clean towels, litter pan, and food) but the ferret was at home. I was going to go home at lunch to pick her up. Exotics are attached to many stigmas, but at least here we can all talk about our pets without judgment - no offense to any Yorkie owners ;p

It happens a lot - the only advice I have (unfortunately) is to grow thicker scales so the comments don't hit so deep
    I appreciate you sharing and your kind words. Tha nik k uou!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mc.mischievous7 View Post
    I appreciate you sharing and your kind words. Tha nik k uou!

*Thank you

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mc.mischievous7 For This Useful Post:

Crowfingers (11-16-2018)

Thanks
    I love when people trying to walk by u holding a snake puts their back against the wall 20 feet away and scoots around u. I’m the guy who will turn away and while the snake from people walking by because I know a lot of people don’t like snakes. But to walk 30 feet away like they have wings and can fly around the room and bite u is so funny to me.

Ive also had people threaten to harm my snakes if I brought them over or something similar. I tell them it’s hard to kill a snake when ur being killed yourselve. And also why would I even want u to see my snake if u don’t want to. I don’t walk around with my snakes sticking them in people’s faces.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

Mc.mischievous7 (11-20-2018)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Any time you will do or own something that is not what I would call "in the norm" you will be faced with negative comments, you can try to educate people, or do nothing but what is important is not to let any negative comment get to you.
    Deborah Stewart

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-21-2018),cletus (11-25-2018),Dianne (11-20-2018),jmcrook (11-21-2018),Mc.mischievous7 (11-21-2018),MissterDog (11-20-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Any time you will do or own something that is not what I would call "in the norm" you will be faced with negative comments, you can try to educate people, or do nothing but what is important is not to let any negative comment get to you.
    I appreciate your kind words Deb! Thank you!

Thanks

I get negative comments all the time from everyone who finds out I own snakes. Everyone has there own passion for certain pets that’s the way I look at it. My neighbor behind me own has I have to say 20 cats or better living in her home. She found out I had snakes and was disgusted and had negative comments. I told her like it was you like to own cats and have a passion for them. Well I like to own snakes “ wanna come and check them out. Lol. Neighbor to the left and right of me are those that love to knock on your door and borrow this and that need some gas money to get to the store. I just so happened to have my 2100 gram pinstripe out and answered the door, let’s say I haven’t had a knock in 2 months lol.
    But to say the least, your going to get comments with Whatever pet you have, just remember it’s your passion not theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Champange Het Orange Ghost (Theseus)
    1.0 Mojave (Zeus)
    0.1 Fire (Astraea)
    0.1 Dragonfly (Persephone)
    0.1 Mystic Majove (Rhea) Aka Zabiatsche
    1.0 Spider (Achilles)
    0.1 Pastel (Kallisto)
    1.0 Cinnamon (Eros)
    0.1 Spider Vanilla (Calliope)
    0.1 Pinstripe (Thalia)

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nightscavenger For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-25-2018),Dianne (11-25-2018),Godzilla78 (11-25-2018),Mc.mischievous7 (11-25-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nightscavenger View Post
    I get negative comments all the time from everyone who finds out I own snakes. Everyone has there own passion for certain pets that’s the way I look at it. My neighbor behind me own has I have to say 20 cats or better living in her home. She found out I had snakes and was disgusted and had negative comments. I told her like it was you like to own cats and have a passion for them. Well I like to own snakes “ wanna come and check them out. Lol. Neighbor to the left and right of me are those that love to knock on your door and borrow this and that need some gas money to get to the store. I just so happened to have my 2100 gram pinstripe out and answered the door, let’s say I haven’t had a knock in 2 months lol.
    But to say the least, your going to get comments with Whatever pet you have, just remember it’s your passion not theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you for sharing! I appreciate the positive feedback!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mc.mischievous7 For This Useful Post:

nightscavenger (11-25-2018)

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast