Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,100

2 members and 3,098 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Negative comments

Quote Originally Posted by pbenner View Post
    Remember when PETA was all about trying to convert snakes to eating Sausages over Rodents? LOL.

Paul
    Hahaha I've heard it all now. Why didn't I think about planting a sausage tree. That's as bad as the push from them to take the cages off the animal cracker boxes. I never got how there was this disconnect when it comes from a store like it's somehow different. I grew up harvesting chickens at my grandpas and we still keep a few chickens for eggs. Every so many years they stop producing and have to be replaced. I catch a lot of shade for that too. While we have them they get treated humanely and are properly cared for. When the time comes, I make it as quick as possible. It just is what it is. I guarantee they live a better life than being in a factory farm. Just because they are our food doesn't mean they don't deserve to be treated with respect.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Helonwheelz383 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-15-2018),Dianne (11-15-2018),the_rotten1 (11-16-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Helonwheelz383 View Post
    ...I grew up harvesting chickens at my grandpas and we still keep a few chickens for eggs. Every so many years they stop producing and have to be replaced. I catch a lot of shade for that too. While we have them they get treated humanely and are properly cared for. When the time comes, I make it as quick as possible. It just is what it is. I guarantee they live a better life than being in a factory farm. Just because they are our food doesn't mean they don't deserve to be treated with respect.

Well said! Exactly how I feel about the feeder rodents I raise. They have a better life than wild- plenty of food, water, shelter, and only one "predator" -eventually.

Thanks
    I would say about 75% of the people I have told I have a snake to have said, "Did you hear about that lady who had a snake in her bed, and it stopped eating, and it kept laying straight out next to her, , because it was preparing to eat her!"

And then I explain that first, that story is not even true. Secondly, I take it as an opportunity to explain that snakes are ambush predators, and that is not a situation in which they would typically find themselves in in the wild, and don't really have the instincts to do something like that. Then I ask them if it was an anaconda, and they always say, "I don't know," and I say an anaconda is pretty much the only snake who would really have the girth to eat a full grown person. I take it as an excuse to talk about snakes with someone who was really just trying to make me feel like I've made a bad choice in a pet.

If they are still listening, I tell them that Ghost is less than 2.5 pounds, and he is not stupid enough to even try to eat me.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moshimaru For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-15-2018),Dianne (11-15-2018),Mc.mischievous7 (11-15-2018)

Registered User Mc.mischievous7's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moshimaru View Post
    I would say about 75% of the people I have told I have a snake to have said, "Did you hear about that lady who had a snake in her bed, and it stopped eating, and it kept laying straight out next to her, , because it was preparing to eat her!"

And then I explain that first, that story is not even true. Secondly, I take it as an opportunity to explain that snakes are ambush predators, and that is not a situation in which they would typically find themselves in in the wild, and don't really have the instincts to do something like that. Then I ask them if it was an anaconda, and they always say, "I don't know," and I say an anaconda is pretty much the only snake who would really have the girth to eat a full grown person. I take it as an excuse to talk about snakes with someone who was really just trying to make me feel like I've made a bad choice in a pet.

If they are still listening, I tell them that Ghost is less than 2.5 pounds, and he is not stupid enough to even try to eat me.
    OMG! They said the same thing to me too!!! like I havent heard about it before. As if it was suppose to scare me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mc.mischievous7 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-15-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    Hmmm, I hadn’t seen the hotdog version. The ones I saw were ground whole rodents...and they were not cheap.

I agree, I’ll be sticking with the real deal as well. Can you imagine trying to switch a fussy bp to a sausage? Shoot, I’m still trying to get Artemis switched to f/t.
    Repti-Links are what you're thinking of. They're generally made from chicken, quail, and rabbit. For a 75gr link, they want $4.75 before shipping.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ryknoll3 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ryknoll3 View Post
    Repti-Links are what you're thinking of. They're generally made from chicken, quail, and rabbit. For a 75gr link, they want $4.75 before shipping.
    Repti-Links has some that are iguana I think and maybe a frog one? I'm sure that'd be invaluable for people trying to captive breed snakes that are tough to get onto rodents in captivity or tough to get feeding in general... I'm thinking about eastern hognose from what I've seen posted about babies or even less common lizard/amphibian eaters in the wild. They're small and wouldn't need the big links as adults and the ones they would need are maybe cheaper and more available than actual captive F/T (or less risk of parasites for live) frogs/lizards in general.

I've considered getting a pack with quail or chicken in the hopper mouse or adult mouse size for occasional treats for my corns, kings, and my 6 month bci, but they had a minimum shipping price out of my budget. For now I'm just sticking with f/t chicks as treats.

But agreed, definitely not a meal style likely to work with many BPs though. Ha!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pretends2bnormal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-15-2018)

Thanks
    You find out who your friends are once you buy your first snake.
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python - Fluffy
    0.1 Mojave Pied Ball Python - Kitty
    0.1 West Highland White Terrier - Maisie
    1.0 Betta - Ringo

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KillerKame For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-15-2018),Dianne (11-15-2018),luckydoll (11-15-2018),MissterDog (11-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts

Talking

I on their opinions...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

Dianne (11-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mc.mischievous7 View Post
    OMG! They said the same thing to me too!!! like I havent heard about it before. As if it was suppose to scare me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Same here. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve explained snake sizes and feeding habits. If I had a quarter for each, I’d be able to buy some really nice morphs with the cages and full setup. lol
    Last edited by Dianne; 11-15-2018 at 09:24 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ryknoll3 View Post
    This was a few years ago, so I don’t remember the brand name, but the ingredient list was definitely whole ground rodents...at least, that’s what the package claimed. The only thing I recall about the price was thinking “holy moly, I couldn’t afford to feed everybody!”
    Last edited by Dianne; 11-15-2018 at 09:24 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-15-2018)

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast