Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,935

1 members and 2,934 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    Ignore it. I don't get much of that really. Unless you know me you would never know I keep snakes. I never advertise it and I don't take them outside unless it's for a quick picture in the good light.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cletus For This Useful Post:

luckydoll (11-15-2018),Mc.mischievous7 (11-15-2018)

Thanks

Re: Negative comments

Quote Originally Posted by Mc.mischievous7 View Post
    What do they say about girls who into snakes? I never heard of that one before. I believe Ima just stop telling ppl I have a snake because the ones who know already is giving me a headache. Lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    I responded with, "Well, they probably say they like snakes," and the conversation ended, lol. I didn't really want to hear what he had to say after that.

I used to tell everyone who would listen I had a snake just because I was so excited about him, but I think it would save me a few headaches to just keep it to myself, lol.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to luckydoll For This Useful Post:

Mc.mischievous7 (11-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    My personal favorites are when they tell you that keeping snakes is unholy or some other nonsense about the devil being a serpent. Please don’t make me laugh ��!
    Let's just say that the town I live in has MORE than it's share of churches & church-goers, and when someone says something nasty about snakes I respond with "if God
    created the world & made all the creatures then didn't he (or 'she' ) make snakes too?" That has actually sunk in... (sigh)

But on the plus side, one of the churches here has a yearly "Blessing of the Animals" and whenever the weather is good (it's outside)
    I've attended with a snake, and got surprisingly open & friendly interest...so there's hope!
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-15-2018 at 01:12 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Dianne (11-15-2018),luckydoll (11-15-2018),Sonny1318 (11-15-2018)

Registered User Mc.mischievous7's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luckydoll View Post
    I responded with, "Well, they probably say they like snakes," and the conversation ended, lol. I didn't really want to hear what he had to say after that.

I used to tell everyone who would listen I had a snake just because I was so excited about him, but I think it would save me a few headaches to just keep it to myself, lol.
    Same with me. I'm just excited I got a Mojave BP as a pet and i wanted to share my excitement with everyone. Just didnt expect the response to the news to be so negative. Guess I will have to do what most of you all said. -Ignore them-

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mc.mischievous7 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-15-2018),luckydoll (11-15-2018),Zincubus (11-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Negative comments

One woman I told in our staff room was disgusted when I mentioned that our kids loved feeding the pigeons so she was extremely quick to 'pipe up' when someone else exclaimed 'Michael HAS snakes !!' ...

She made it clear that she was physically disgusted at the thought .

I was so shocked I said " you do know that Donna has a Royal python , Becky has a Corn snake and Caroline has a Python , a Gecko and a bladdy Tarantula !!
    All true but it wasn't common knowledge... they hadn't actively hidden their snakes just not advertised them to all and sundry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 11-15-2018 at 01:15 PM.

Thanks
    I think we all have a different level of tolerance for negative comments, but IF you can handle some without too much anger & stress, it's our chance to present the
    "other side" (pro- snake) & that's important because they sure cannot speak for themselves. It does no good (in terms of changing minds) to keep our pets secret.

It also matters about the "time & place"- if you're at work & your boss hates snakes, your silence is probably "golden". Likewise, if you work with the public as
    I did for many years you have to be cautious (polite) about how you answer (disagree) & not offend anyone.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Dianne (11-15-2018),Mc.mischievous7 (11-15-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mc.mischievous7 View Post
    The reason why my bf dont like me having a snake.

It's your life but no one should be with someone who disrespects their pet...leaving my ex who was a jerk about my snake was literally one of the best decisions I have ever made. Usually people like that tend to to be rude about other parts of your life too.

My current bf isn't a big fan of snakes but he knows that I love them and he respects that. He is willing to handle her and listens when I talk about her. He doesn't love snakes and maybe he never will but that's okay because he is kind and understanding about my interests.
    Last edited by Kira; 11-15-2018 at 01:26 PM.
    Winry-Pastel Vanilla BP

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kira For This Useful Post:

Alicia (11-15-2018),Bogertophis (11-15-2018),Dianne (11-15-2018),luckydoll (11-15-2018),Mc.mischievous7 (11-15-2018)

Registered User Mc.mischievous7's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I think we all have a different level of tolerance for negative comments, but IF you can handle some without too much anger & stress, it's our chance to present the
    "other side" (pro- snake) & that's important because they sure cannot speak for themselves. It does no good (in terms of changing minds) to keep our pets secret.

It also matters about the "time & place"- if you're at work & your boss hates snakes, your silence is probably "golden". Likewise, if you work with the public as
    I did for many years you have to be cautious (polite) about how you answer (disagree) & not offend anyone.
    Yea that is true!

Thanks
    When challenged (& appropriate to time & place) you can point out (for example): that most snakes are very fussy eaters (we don't smell like their food!), &
    that they actually aren't out to bite us but instead bite out of fear & self-defense- & remind them how big & scary we appear to snakes. Explain that snakes
    rely on their excellent sense of smell & touch (instead of vision to identify things) & that they are deaf. <many ppl don't realize that...they'll say they yelled
    at a snake to leave their yard & killed it when it wouldn't... When you can point out something about snakes that the person doesn't know, they may then
    realize that their information may be all wrong...even if they don't admit it to you at the time, they may think about it. I've had people come back to ask more
    questions once they were intrigued with some "new" information. Just crack open the door & let some "light" in, if & when you can.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

cletus (11-15-2018),Dianne (11-15-2018),Mc.mischievous7 (11-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

Most people who know me know that I have snakes. I’ve kept snakes for 27 years, so they are gonna hear about them eventually...if not from me then from other friends. I’ll share with friends when I have a new purchase or take a really nice photo. I even share a few photos on FB. Some folks have come around and think they are pretty or kind of cute. Some folks aren’t into them, but keep most comments in the civil mode. And some folks are just rude and make ugly comments. I’ve had plenty of years to get used to the wide range of comments, and I’ve been able to educate some folks about them. It evens out for the most part.

I have several relatives that will not come to my house...possibly a bonus to snakes as pets? I also have one friend who is truly terrified of snakes, however he will come to the house because he knows they are in locked cages in a separate room. He can’t see them, so he can pretend they aren’t there. The guy I dated before I met my other half gave me the ultimatum of “the snakes or me”. It didn’t work out quite like he planned. When I met my other half, he was not into snakes...but he was into me, so he was willing to learn. While they were never his thing, he learned about them and helped with them...including being an advocate for them as pets when others made negative comments. He was by my side for 22 1/2 years. ❤️ I’m not looking for another relationship, but anyone who didn’t support me wouldn’t even be a consideration. What I will tolerate from friends or acquaintances is not acceptable from someone who is supposed to be my partner.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-15-2018),luckydoll (11-15-2018)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast