Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,030

2 members and 3,028 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Apparently as long as your pets don't have fur it's okay to insult them. /s

I actually had an ex threaten to break up with me when I said I was considering getting a second snake at some point in the future. He said "If you get another freaking snake then it's over". Except he didn't say freaking...

To me I find it so frustrating that people are so rude about snakes. Not everyone has to like them but have enough decency to be respectful about someone's pet that they obviously love. I've mentioned this before but even though I am a dog lover- there are certain breeds that I HATE with a fiery, burning passion. But when people tell me they have those breeds, I'm never rude. I could never insult someone's pet. I'll never own those breeds and don't understand the appeal but I would never tell someone that their pet is ugly or extremely obnoxious.

ALSO I'm going to rage if one more person tells me that my less than 3lb ball python is going to eat my dogs...

As other posters have mentioned- we just have to continue to educate people. A lot of friends and family have become more understanding after meeting my ball python and learning more about her.
    Winry-Pastel Vanilla BP

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kira For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-15-2018),Mc.mischievous7 (11-15-2018),zina10 (11-15-2018)

Registered User Mc.mischievous7's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Negative comments

Quote Originally Posted by Kira View Post
    Apparently as long as your pets don't have fur it's okay to insult them. /s

I actually had an ex threaten to break up with me when I said I was considering getting a second snake at some point in the future. He said "If you get another freaking snake then it's over". Except he didn't say freaking...

To me I find it so frustrating that people are so rude about snakes. Not everyone has to like them but have enough decency to be respectful about someone's pet that they obviously love. I've mentioned this before but even though I am a dog lover- there are certain breeds that I HATE with a fiery, burning passion. But when people tell me they have those breeds, I'm never rude. I could never insult someone's pet. I'll never own those breeds and don't understand the appeal but I would never tell someone that their pet is ugly or extremely obnoxious.

ALSO I'm going to rage if one more person tells me that my less than 3lb ball python is going to eat my dogs...

As other posters have mentioned- we just have to continue to educate people. A lot of friends and family have become more understanding after meeting my ball python and learning more about her.
    Yea my BF said, If he catch me holding the snake or if it's out of its enclosure he was gonna to take the snake to the animal shelter. .

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Some ppl listen & learn...others are hopeless...but around here we all understand. I've gotten jerk comments from people for decades now, but what makes it
    worth the trouble is changing minds when & wherever I can. That's all any of us can do.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Dianne (11-15-2018),Mc.mischievous7 (11-15-2018),zina10 (11-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mc.mischievous7 View Post
    I have noticed that recently whenever someone take note that I have a snake as a pet, they say something negative. Like, "Hes going to eat you", "did you not hear about the woman who got ate by a python", "you are insane." I never knew that their were so many individuals put there in the world that were afraid or thought negatively about a snake. Like I had someone who ask me if I did my research on snakes. As if I got my snake spontaneously. Yes, I did my research. When I was in the proof getting a snake all I wanted was a pet to have around and not your normal pet either. But I never expected so many negative comments. I will be lying if I said it didn't effect me a little bit. Does anyone else have to do deal with this or is it just me?

At first I told everyone and anyone that I had a collection of snakes but after quite a few negative comments like "yuck" or "ewww why would you want a snake ?" etc etc I now keep it to myself .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Mc.mischievous7 (11-15-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Yea my BF said, If he catch me holding the snake or if it's out of its enclosure he was gonna to take the snake to the animal shelter. .

That sounds like time to find a new Boyfriend that isn't a tool. lol.

I know that I wouldn't even consider dating a chick that wasn't open minded about scaled pets.

Paul

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pbenner For This Useful Post:

Alicia (11-15-2018),Bogertophis (11-15-2018),Kira (11-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

I have noticed that recently whenever someone take note that I have a snake as a pet, they say something negative. Like, "Hes going to eat you", "did you not hear about the woman who got ate by a python", "you are insane." I never knew that their were so many individuals put there in the world that were afraid or thought negatively about a snake. Like I had someone who ask me if I did my research on snakes. As if I got my snake spontaneously. Yes, I did my research. When I was in the proof getting a snake all I wanted was a pet to have around and not your normal pet either. But I never expected so many negative comments. I will be lying if I said it didn't effect me a little bit. Does anyone else have to do deal with this or is it just me?

At first I told everyone and anyone that I had a collection of snakes but after quite a few negative comments like "yuck" or "ewww why would you want a snake ?" etc etc I now keep it to myself .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    I definitely relate to everything in this thread. After getting my snake, my mom called me a few days later to tell me she had a nightmare in which my snake killed me. I think my bp was barely a foot long at the time. Ever since I've been sending pictures of him to her whenever I get a cute snapshot. Last time I did she responded, "He is kinda cute," so maybe I'm actually making some headway with her, lol.

I think the worst kind of comments I've heard are when people say to me, "Oh, you know what they say about girls who are into snakes...." Gross.

But yeah, if it's not someone close to me, I don't even bother changing their mind. It's not worth my time.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to luckydoll For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-15-2018),Lord Sorril (11-16-2018),Mc.mischievous7 (11-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    My personal favorites are when they tell you that keeping snakes is unholy or some other nonsense about the devil being a serpent. Please don’t make me laugh 😂!
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-15-2018),luckydoll (11-15-2018),Mc.mischievous7 (11-15-2018),pretends2bnormal (11-15-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luckydoll View Post
    I definitely relate to everything in this thread. After getting my snake, my mom called me a few days later to tell me she had a nightmare in which my snake killed me. I think my bp was barely a foot long at the time. Ever since I've been sending pictures of him to her whenever I get a cute snapshot. Last time I did she responded, "He is kinda cute," so maybe I'm actually making some headway with her, lol.

I think the worst kind of comments I've heard are when people say to me, "Oh, you know what they say about girls who are into snakes...." Gross.

But yeah, if it's not someone close to me, I don't even bother changing their mind. It's not worth my time.
    What do they say about girls who into snakes? I never heard of that one before. I believe Ima just stop telling ppl I have a snake because the ones who know already is giving me a headache. Lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    My personal favorites are when they tell you that keeping snakes is unholy or some other nonsense about the devil being a serpent. Please don’t make me laugh !
    The reason why my bf dont like me having a snake.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mc.mischievous7 For This Useful Post:

Sonny1318 (11-15-2018)

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast