Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,931

1 members and 1,930 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Need some help with an online breeder

I was going to buy a snake from BHB mostly cause I head that they were doing better, the original Enchi I was gunna buy I asked questions about through emails and had short responses, I asked what the down payment was so I could place it, never got a response and the snake was bought by someone else. My last email went unanswered for over a week, I am trying tocall about this other snake so I can very much place a down payment and even ask if they have other breeds, but no one ever answers the phone and I am left scratching my head and wanting to look elsewhere.

Are they a good breeder? If not does anyone know of a good breeder who has good customer service cause I don't wanna waste my time surfing through pictures and having questions left unanswered.

I can understand that they may be busy, but this song and dance has gone on for a week.

Thanks
    If you want something as common as an enchi, I say MorphMart. Even if you want something more exotic, I still say MorphMart. You'll find many, many, breeders more than willing to interact and answer all your questions. You may even find somebody close to you that you can actually visit. You'd be surprised!
    \m/

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JRLongton For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-14-2018),Highyeena (11-14-2018)

Thanks

Re: Need some help with an online breeder

I agree with Longton the market will suit your enchi need. I have experienced this a couple times myself with late and poor responses. I make it a point to not buy from them. I'm very impatient and as breeders they know when we want a snake we WANT the snake. I too have lost a purchase due to delayed responses. I understand businesses grow but it seems like the money goes everywhere but customer service. Which makes no sense because a lot of us use customer service as a heavy percentage to rating a business. I would shop on the market find the breeder and research them on the Ball python FBI (feedback and inquiry) group on FB. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

1.0 banana bee
    0.1 butter pastel
    0.1 pastel
    0.1 mojave het clown
    1.2 DH albino pied
    0.1 OD YB pastel
    1.0 nuclear (butter,fire)
    0.1 lavender albino het pied
    1.1 enchi clown / clown
    0.1 superfly sugar
    1.0 freeway

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knowell For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-14-2018),JRLongton (11-14-2018)

Thanks
    I've read some stories of people getting perfectly healthy animals from them, but I've also heard some horror stories of people getting pretty sick animals from them. I haven't stayed up-to-date with them, so they may have changed like you said. But I do remember some pretty awful stories about both the health of their animals and their customer service. I've had no experience with BHB so my words can really only be taken with a grain of salt. I've read a lot of people on this forum that were very happy with what they purchased from them. I've also read posts that were not so happy. I guess with a company that size, you're bound to have mixed reviews.

All in all, though, I don't think I would feel comfortable buying from a company that gives me the run-around like that. If they aren't getting back to you, it might just be in your best interest to look elsewhere, as to not waste your time getting ignored.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to luckydoll For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-14-2018)

Thanks
    Unfortunately I feel as though BHB and some other larger breeders suffer from the inability of being able to handle the amount of inquiries they get for reptiles, and once you get to a point of that many reptiles, even with a large staff, it's too easy for somebody to drop the ball (no pun intended) on customer service or animal care.

I'd also recommend Morph Market, but with some caveats, depending on your location.

A. Depending on where you are in the country right now shipping can be nearly impossible to make happen before spring time. which can be tough if you're ready for your noodle now. And...

B. Morph Market allows you to see a lot of animals available with the genes you want, but most of the breeders I've spoken to don't make ads for all of their available snakes.

So here is how I use Morph Market when I'm looking to buy a snake.

1. I use the MorphMap to show breeders that are in my area and see what they have on the Market.

2. If I don't see what I'm looking for, I may send them a message or call and ask if they have a particular snake available. If they do, they usually have no problems with me coming out and looking the animal/their setup over before my purchase. Then I can buy and bring my snake home myself, which eliminates shipping issues due to weather and the associated stresses.

3. If nobody local has the animal I want, then I resort to the standard search system and see about having an animal shipped.

Using this method has allowed me to buy animals in the past that nobody else knew were on the market, and I was fully assured of the methods and conditions in which my new animal was kept. Plus it gets you in touch with local snake people, which is always a bonus.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RXLReptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-14-2018),JRLongton (11-14-2018),Knowell (11-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Need some help with an online breeder

For what's it worth, I've ordered two animals from BHB and had a good experience both times, and with follow up questions with them.

5 year ago, I got Figment, my Hypo-Lavender Corn from them, as a 9G baby. He was in great health and is still doing great as a happy and healthy adult.

2 years ago, I got Frank from them, my Northern Blue Tongue Skink. He's happy and healthy and friendly.

When I ordered Figment, I asked for the friendliest hypo-lavender they had. They delivered. They've always answered questions for me, when I get through via phone, or email instead, even when I had a leopard gecko question, and I bought my leopard geckos prior to them breeding them, so not from them.

Having said that, they are getting big, and I have great experiences with smaller breeders who know each animal in and out and often breed obscure animals.

Feliz, my Venezuelan BCC came from one fo two breeder in the country who breeds them and it was a fantastic experience. Same goes for my BCI, Behira, who I also got from a small breeder, and Shayna, my albino spider BP, from a small breeder as well.

Solana, my Scaleless Sunglow Motley Red Factor Corn, came from a bigger breeder, but he only does corns, and he's johnny not he spot. I prefer smaller breeders, but had met Brian and wanted to order a corn from him when I got Figment, and he worked with me personally at the time. He also convinced me to stay in reptiles after my kidney transplant and told me he has a friend in Australia who breeds snakes and had a kidney transplant as well. Proper hygiene for you and the animals, and lots of hand washing, and it's all good. Also, when I got Frank, there were few options for BTS. Many more now.

It comes down to what animal you want, and who you are comfortable working with. Remember, you will have the animal for a long time. You want someone you feel comfortable going to with questions and who you feel will be there for you long-term. You also want to know that animal inside and out before you order it.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Highyeena (11-15-2018),RickyNY (11-14-2018)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,897 Times in 835 Posts
    Personally, I have never had an issue with Garrick DeMyer of Royal Constrictor designs / CrestedGecko.com
    I've purchased some well priced and healthy animals from him multiple times.
    Most times, the photos he has posted do not do the animals justice. So opening the box is always a surprise for me

From what I've seen, BHB has been doing better recently but they are a large scale breeder and are running the Reptarium as well now.
    They have a small, intimate crew, but with the scale of operations, it can be very difficult to get some private time.
    Personally, I do sometimes wonder about the genetics of leopard geckos they show off on youtube as well.

Regardless of where you look, there can always be good and bad. Ask for shipping guarantees if they are not listed on the sites. There's a feedback section on this forum as well where you can look up some comments on breeders too. There are some very reputable breeders floating around on morph market.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (11-14-2018),Sonny1318 (11-14-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I personally wouldn't give them my business.
    He's got time to make his clickbait vlog every day, but can't reply to customers, I'm all set with that.
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 11-14-2018 at 05:31 PM.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-14-2018),JRLongton (11-15-2018),luckydoll (11-14-2018),MissterDog (11-14-2018),Sonny1318 (11-14-2018)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The downside of large scale breeders is that you are often dealing with employees, some that work in the snake rooms some that will answer inquiries.

If you want attention to details, communication, people that answer your questions and are hands on with the animals, then you want to buy from a small scale breeder.

Nothing wrong with large scale breeders however it's not for everyone, it's not for me unless I deal with them in person at a show......to me communication is key so is the first impression.
    Deborah Stewart

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-14-2018),Craiga 01453 (11-14-2018),dakski (11-14-2018),luckydoll (11-14-2018),MissterDog (11-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    I've had no dealings ever with BHB, but no matter who the seller is, if they don't have time for a few questions BEFORE I buy, I cannot reasonably expect they'd
    respond IF there was any kind of problem, & for that reason, they'd NOT get my business no matter what recommendations* are posted. (*As we all know, or
    should know, ratings & reviews are sometimes supplied by friends instead of objective former customers of a business, though I'd certainly factor in comments
    from trusted members here or anyone I actually knew that was a former customer.)

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (11-14-2018),luckydoll (11-14-2018),Stewart_Reptiles (11-14-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast