Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,554

0 members and 2,554 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,034
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jeremymichels
    Thanks

Should I take a bite?

OK, so I have an interesting one for you all. So here goes...

I have four snakes. A super chill ball python who bit me once when she was younger because I stuck my hand in her hide (totally my fault). I have two baby corn snakes that while feisty little things, have never made a strike or bite outside of feeding. And I have Fluffy the reticulated python. Fluffy seems to live up to the stereotype of a typical young retic. She has bitten me once early on, which didn't hurt but scared the poo out of me. Since then, she strikes at me every time I open her tub. She used to strike the inside of the tub when I'd walk by, but that seems to have stopped, or at least hardly ever happens anymore.
    While I've read a ton about young retics being "defensive" or "aggressive" (which refuse to believe any snake is aggressive, simply some more defensive than others), I've also read that regularly working with them while they are young can have a positive pay off as they mature. I am bound and determined that I am going to work with this little lady and together her and I are going to work towards a positive experience as we live together for the next 30 years.

I've had Fluffy for about two months now. The following is my "plan of approach" which is subject to change as I continue to learn and heed advice I'm given.
    I work 24 hour shifts every third day, so she gets a complete break from me every third day. The two days I am home, I get her out and handle her 1 to 2 times a day for about 10 minutes, except for Saturday and Sunday, which are the 48 hours after she eats. Feeding day is Friday as I am always off on Fridays. I feed her in her tub so I don't have to handle her after feeding. She always eats like a champ without fail. When I open her tub for handling time, I gently touch her head with a small hook. Then I remove her with the hook and support from my other hand. Again, without fail, she strikes, mouth open, and attempts to bite every time. Initially while I hold her, she will stretch away from me, then finally will wrap around my hand and stare at me for a while. After a bit, her "grip" loosens and she will start to look around. I feel like she is calming down because her pupils become less dilated and her breathing slows. Then, when time to go back into the tub, she'll move off my hand and usually turn around for another strike/bite attempt. Full disclosure, I wear thick and soft leather work gloves and long sleeves. This has saved me from direct skin bites multiple times as she has bitten the glove and my sleeve more than once.
    I'm trying really hard to breathe, deep breaths prior to handling, remembering that she can sense my nervousness, and trying to convey a since of gentle confidence when dealing with her.

Here are my thoughts and questions... I would really appreciate input from those of you that have experience with retics as well as anyone with thoughts or suggestions.
    First question is, for those of you who have dealt with "active" snakes that "happy to donate their bites to the cause", how long did it take for them to "feel less of a need to provide their bites"? Is there an expected age, like, after working with my snake for a month, a few months, a year, etc?
    Second, and the title of this post... Should I take a bite, or two, or few? And my thought behind this is, I've been bitten. It wasn't so bad. It was truly the shock, and the gnarly look of the snake as it goes in for a strike. So, for me, would it be helpful to take a few bites on purpose, to physiologically break my nervousness? And for the snake, if she is able to provide a few bites, and it does cause a reaction from me of backing away, cowering, or leaving her alone, might she learn that it does no good to bite me, as it doesn't cause her desired effect.
    And here is the curve ball I'm having, the issue that I want to handle correctly in order to have a positive outcome for both the snake and myself. I had a friend over last night that also works with snakes. He asked if her could handle Fluffy. I said sure, but warned him that she always strikes, she always bites., and that I am still working with her to move past this phase. He says "let me see how she does with me". He calmly and confidently took Fluffy from me, and of course, she was a perfect little angel. She crawled on him. She let him touch her head, her neck, and pet her body. I was astonished. This to me is proof of one of two things. Either it is completely and 100% the confidence and calmness of the handler. Or, she's seen me scared, and retics are suppose to have excellent memories, and she remembers that she has and can intimidate me. She's seen me react to a bite. and now she knows how to "handle me".

So thats it, thats my situation as it stands. I refuse to give up, have no desire to give up, and I am going to do whatever it takes to create a good, respectable relationship between Fluffy and myself.
    Again, any and all advice, suggestions, comments, concerns, and thoughts will be appreciated and taken into consideration. You all have been amazing help to me so far and I am grateful and looking forward to more.

Have a great day!

-C. Allen

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Cant really answer the biting retic part as Caesar my retic has been a blessing since he was a 5 month old baby. Only time he has ever shown 'threatened' anything was a snake hook when i tried to tap train him lol. He really hated the hook. Otherwise i have always been able to reach in and pick him up and he is fine as long as he doesnt smell food. My other snakes are the same, even both my GTPs except at night with them lol.

My only experience with a bitey snake was with my JCP who i didnt get as a baby. I got her switched over to FT rats anytime with no problem but i never got her 'tamed'. I always ran a 50% chance of getting tagged whenever i reached into the cage, even across the cage. Not sure what the previous owner did but they did it wrong lol. She was from Nick Mutton at Inland Reptiles so i believe it was the previous owner.

My advice is just let the snake calm down and settle in. Generally a snake is going to be defensive if it scared or if it has had some kind of traumatic experience with humans. Just let her calm down and get used to your smell and the living area and once she realizes nothing is going to hurt her or try and eat her, she should mellow out and become more curious. Now with that said, some snakes are just high strung and will never mellow out. Pray yours isnt like that.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Re: Should I take a bite?

Quote Originally Posted by callen727 View Post
    I had a friend over last night that also works with snakes. He asked if her could handle Fluffy. I said sure, but warned him that she always strikes, she always bites., and that I am still working with her to move past this phase. He says "let me see how she does with me". He calmly and confidently took Fluffy from me, and of course, she was a perfect little angel. She crawled on him. She let him touch her head, her neck, and pet her body. I was astonished. This to me is proof of one of two things. Either it is completely and 100% the confidence and calmness of the handler. Or, she's seen me scared, and retics are suppose to have excellent memories, and she remembers that she has and can intimidate me. She's seen me react to a bite. and now she knows how to "handle me".
    I wouldn't read too much into her being calm with your friend. Some of it is attitude and snakes are very sensitive to how relaxed or tense we are, but also remember that they are most defensive when being pulled out of their comfort zone (the enclosure) and once out they're a lot more likely to run than strike. Burms are notorious for this; very hissy and flinging coils in the enclosure, puppy dog tame out of it. Had your friend removed her from the enclosure it's very likely she would have struck out at him at the time.

One trick to getting her out easily is to put a washcloth or dish cloth over her head before you pick her up. You can also try slipping her into a bag, where she feels secure, and then just hold the bag in your lap for a while. She will start to associate your scent with warmth and security. I actually use a sleeping bag for my adult retics; they "hide" in it and are usually quite content to stay put for a few minutes while I clean the enclosure. My Burmese also loves it.
    Last edited by bcr229; 11-15-2018 at 12:15 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

callen727 (11-15-2018),JRLongton (11-15-2018)

Thanks

Hey thanks for that suggestion! I’m going to give the bag thing a try. I’ll get a pillow case, that should work well. Seems I read that somewhere in the past, or something similar, but I’d forgotten. I’m excited to try that when I get home from work in the morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Best of luck, I'm lucky that my boy is well behaved so far.
    I've given up on two bitey snakes so far, personally I seek out the ones that are calm as baby's if I can. Just too much work for me. @richardhind has dealt with his bitey img boa so he might have some sound advice.
    I wouldn't suggest getting bitten on purpose but maybe it's the gloves, I would try it without. I'm guessing your pal didn't have gloves on? Maybe the scent of the gloves is setting him off.
    1.0 75% SD retic .... 6ft Hector cb17 1.1kg
    0.1 coastal X ij carpet... Hielo cb15 8kg

1.1 crested gecko Vinnie + Mable

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin83 For This Useful Post:

callen727 (11-15-2018)

Thanks

Oh she finds any opportunity to bite me just “striking”, gloves or no gloves. But Ms. Fluffy and I are going to work through this together! I’m ready and willing to put forth the work. I find this a challenge and I ain’t backing down!

Thanks
    Do you have any other pets? Maybe she senses smells or food or predator on you? Other than the fact she may just be a bad egg try to remove anything that could be upsetting her outside the cage, strong perfumes or deodorants, cleaning products, pet smells.
    If she is in a low traffic area try a high traffic area and Visa versa. A Viv might be beneficial as the massive animal(you:-) grabbing her from above is very predator like, from the side might be better. When you get her out be gentle and let her do her thing, maybe have a wonder in a secure room so she has some positives to coming out rather than being restrained. Let her stay out longer maybe.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin83 For This Useful Post:

callen727 (11-15-2018)

Thanks
    I just saw she is still very young being born April this year.
    You have a great chance of her chilling out with some work.
    Gorgeous girl btw, is she all mainland?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin83 For This Useful Post:

callen727 (11-15-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    One trick to getting her out easily is to put a washcloth or dish cloth over her head before you pick her up. You can also try slipping her into a bag, where she feels secure, and then just hold the bag in your lap for a while. She will start to associate your scent with warmth and security. I actually use a sleeping bag for my adult retics; they "hide" in it and are usually quite content to stay put for a few minutes while I clean the enclosure. My Burmese also loves it.
    I so need to try this with Monty. Great suggestion. He is more scared than aggressive.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Justin83 View Post
    I just saw she is still very young being born April this year.
    You have a great chance of her chilling out with some work.
    Gorgeous girl btw, is she all mainland?
    Yes, she is a mainland, and thank you!