Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,844

1 members and 2,843 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Is this okay for bps?

Hey guys I’ve been having a ton of trouble keeping the humidity up for my bp, I live in Canada and the air is very dry this season. So anyways I heard people talking about sphagnum moss and I just wanted to know if this is similar to that or even okay for ball pythons, just because it says frog moss rather than spaghnum I’m nervous. Thank you!

Added a pic of my lil guy for fun haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    I definitely think there is a difference in the type of moss. I believe that one might even be a bit more pricey cost wise. But I’m also pretty sure it will do a very similar job, maybe just not as cost effective. I use Zoo Med sphagnum moss, try googling it.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Dorsa (11-13-2018)

Thanks

Re: Is this okay for bps?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny1318 View Post
    I definitely think there is a difference in the type of moss. I believe that one might even be a bit more pricey cost wise. But I’m also pretty sure it will do a very similar job, maybe just not as cost effective. I use Zoo Med sphagnum moss, try googling it.
    I did try googling it but I didn’t find anything about it affecting their health that’s my main concern

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Frogs have very sensitive skin, so if it's safe for frogs I'm sure it's fine for snakes. I've not heard of "pillow moss" but just pulled up this & apparently it can
    be kept alive for up to 10 years too, so it's probably pricier than sphagnum.

"Tropical pillow moss is a common ground cover for tropical amphibian and reptile enclosures. ... Tropical pillow moss
    is the common name for a variety of mosses in the Dicranum genus. They have a thick, mounded growth habit and are
    readily available from terrarium supply stores."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Dorsa (11-13-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Frogs have very sensitive skin, so if it's safe for frogs I'm sure it's fine for snakes. I've not heard of "pillow moss" but just pulled up this & apparently it can
    be kept alive for up to 10 years too, so it's probably pricier than sphagnum.

"Tropical pillow moss is a common ground cover for tropical amphibian and reptile enclosures. ... Tropical pillow moss
    is the common name for a variety of mosses in the Dicranum genus. They have a thick, mounded growth habit and are
    readily available from terrarium supply stores."
    Thank youuu!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    de nada...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsa View Post
    I did try googling it but I didn’t find anything about it affecting their health that’s my main concern

Trust me it’s definitely more then okay to use with your snake, people have been using sphagnum moss since I started keeping snakes in the early nineties. And I’m pretty sure a lot longer then that.
    Last edited by Sonny1318; 11-14-2018 at 12:36 AM.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

Thanks
    Pillow moss will definitely be safe for your python, but I don't think it's going to have the effect you are looking for.

Pillow moss is a living moss that thrives in humid/damp environments, but doesn't hold humidity the same way that sphagnum moss does.

Once you add the pillow moss and wet it, it will start to grow and then dehydrate again as humidity drops. You'll end up misting the moss to keep humidity up, but in reality your just watering the moss so it will stay alive.

Sphagnum moss acts like more of a sponge to slowly release stored water as humidity over time. Depending on the brands available near you I've seen it advertised as terrarium moss and forest moss. You may also consider looking at your local craft store in the floral section, a lot of people use sphagnum moss in plastic flower arrangements. It also can be found in hardware stores and garden centers, as it is used in actual gardening as well. Just make sure if you aren't buying it at a pet/reptile store, it must be 100% natural sphagnum moss with no added colorings or chemicals.

Once you find sphagnum moss you'll want to rehydrate it. Most of the time I buy it in gently compressed bags/bricks. I'll take the sphagnum moss and put it in a tote and spray it with water. Let it sit for a little while and start to break it up, I'll keep adding water until it is damp/wet and water runs out when I squeeze it. I'll wring the excess water out of the moss and then fluff it up and place it around the enclosure, usually in corners and surrounding the hides. Depending on how dry the air is up there you will probably still need to spray the moss every couple of days, I know I do, but it will keep humidity significantly better than before.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RXLReptiles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-14-2018),Craiga 01453 (11-14-2018),Dorsa (11-14-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RXLReptiles View Post
    Pillow moss will definitely be safe for your python, but I don't think it's going to have the effect you are looking for.

Pillow moss is a living moss that thrives in humid/damp environments, but doesn't hold humidity the same way that sphagnum moss does.

Once you add the pillow moss and wet it, it will start to grow and then dehydrate again as humidity drops. You'll end up misting the moss to keep humidity up, but in reality your just watering the moss so it will stay alive.

Sphagnum moss acts like more of a sponge to slowly release stored water as humidity over time. Depending on the brands available near you I've seen it advertised as terrarium moss and forest moss. You may also consider looking at your local craft store in the floral section, a lot of people use sphagnum moss in plastic flower arrangements. It also can be found in hardware stores and garden centers, as it is used in actual gardening as well. Just make sure if you aren't buying it at a pet/reptile store, it must be 100% natural sphagnum moss with no added colorings or chemicals.

Once you find sphagnum moss you'll want to rehydrate it. Most of the time I buy it in gently compressed bags/bricks. I'll take the sphagnum moss and put it in a tote and spray it with water. Let it sit for a little while and start to break it up, I'll keep adding water until it is damp/wet and water runs out when I squeeze it. I'll wring the excess water out of the moss and then fluff it up and place it around the enclosure, usually in corners and surrounding the hides. Depending on how dry the air is up there you will probably still need to spray the moss every couple of days, I know I do, but it will keep humidity significantly better than before.
    Wow thank you so much I’ll for sure switch to sphagnum moss because the whole point was for humidity. Much appreciated!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsa View Post
    Wow thank you so much I’ll for sure switch to sphagnum moss because the whole point was for humidity. Much appreciated!!!

No problem, I know how it goes when trying to decipher all the marketing nonsense on reptile products. I'm just glad your little noodle is gonna be comfortable once you get the right stuff in there.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RXLReptiles For This Useful Post:

Dorsa (11-14-2018)