Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,660

0 members and 2,660 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

American Toad Care Sheet

American Toad Care Sheet

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...5&share_type=t

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AAronCap For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-10-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: American Toad Care Sheet

Thanks for posting. When I was a kid, we had a toad that lived by the side of the house, underneath an old rosebush. Frank Indiviglio is sort of a hero of mine. IIRC, Richard (?) Bartlett of Woods Hole Massachusetts also writes about toads, and Emily of Snake Discovery has a video that covers them. I'd own some already, but I find it hard to raise insects year round when I'm worming goats, and putting flea killer on the dogs in the spring - my bug colonies don't fare well.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to distaff For This Useful Post:

AAronCap (11-10-2018),Bogertophis (08-15-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by distaff View Post
    Thanks for posting. When I was a kid, we had a toad that lived by the side of the house, underneath an old rosebush. Frank Indiviglio is sort of a hero of mine. IIRC, Richard (?) Bartlett of Woods Hole Massachusetts also writes about toads, and Emily of Snake Discovery has a video that covers them. I'd own some already, but I find it hard to raise insects year round when I'm worming goats, and putting flea killer on the dogs in the spring - my bug colonies don't fare well.
    I have found Frank to be easier to message and he gave me a lot of inspiration starting in the hobby.

So I watched the two videos of Snake Discovery and I was very disappointed because she does not have accurate information that lines up with Mr Indiviglio or what most believe about toads. I'm not saying I am more educated then her but I am more experienced with them more then other animals. she knows more about other animals but for these toads they are much more intelligent and require more space then she assumes.

Thank you for the nice post I really really appreciate your feedback and I have been very happy with how welcoming many members have been on here. You guys are very hospitable!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AAronCap For This Useful Post:

distaff (11-10-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    That tub Emily used WAS rather small. I'm a glass tank person anyway. I like to SEE what is inside, even if a tropical animal's enclosure is mostly covered in foam insulation board with only a small viewing window. I'm partial to 40L tanks - affordably priced, big enough to hold most of my critters, but not too big for the tight rooms in our small house, and they can be stacked two high. If you have a stable platform for the top one, you can put the lower tank on wheels to slide in and out from underneath. I also like ExoTerra, but they are expensive, and a pain to have shipped, since they are prone to breakage.

If I can solve the bug problem, I'll look into it further, referring to Frank Indiviglio as the preferred source of information.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I found that American Toad care sheet quite interesting, thanks for sharing it! I have no plans to keep any toads in captivity, but I've always enjoyed meeting the
    frogs & toads in my yard outside, & they actually do seem fairly intelligent. I often have to pick one up & move it to safety when I mow grass & work in my yard- &
    they don't seen too panicked about gentle handling. My dogs don't pay them much attention either...I've seen them walk right by one & the toad just sat still, relying
    on natural camouflage, but even when they see one they don't harm them, only a sniff at most.

While I do have grass that needs mowed, I also have many areas of deep ground cover & the shade of many trees. Pesticide or herbicides
    are never used either. Besides toads & frogs, I've found garter/ribbon snakes, roaming turtles & various small lizards in my yard, & they
    are all welcome here.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-10-2018 at 09:15 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Dianne (11-11-2018)

Thanks

Winter?

I love the care sheet. I am wondering, when trying to replicate the native environment, what is best for winter? Being that in some locations the native toads will experiance a completely snow covered and frozen environment. Would it be advised to replicate the overwinter/hibernation cycle for any WC or would they be fine without?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver Skalez For This Useful Post:

AAronCap (08-18-2019)

Thanks

Re: Winter?

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Skalez View Post
    I love the care sheet. I am wondering, when trying to replicate the native environment, what is best for winter? Being that in some locations the native toads will experiance a completely snow covered and frozen environment. Would it be advised to replicate the overwinter/hibernation cycle for any WC or would they be fine without?
    It's not something that every keeper should try. The hibernation process can kill the animals if not thoroughly looked after. It's definitely a good idea for the toads to be given the opportunity to hibernate but there is a lot of work that goes into the process. I believe a refrigerator would work the best for a hibernation process. It's safer then the outside.

Thanks

Thanks, yeah i can see how its a delicate process. I have had luck overwintering silk moth pupa and eggs, i would immagine a toad requires more direct attention. I guess my big question is, that if hibernation is not offered it will not harm/kill/alter any life cycle???
    Thanks for your help

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver Skalez For This Useful Post:

AAronCap (08-22-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Skalez View Post
    Thanks, yeah i can see how its a delicate process. I have had luck overwintering silk moth pupa and eggs, i would immagine a toad requires more direct attention. I guess my big question is, that if hibernation is not offered it will not harm/kill/alter any life cycle???
    Thanks for your help
    That's really cool that you hibernated the silk worms. So it depends on your state if they allow you to hibernate your animals. In PA you need to be given special permission to hibernate them by the fish and boat commission. First make sure if it's legal before considering it