Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 737

0 members and 737 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Feeding questions

Update.. so she actually attacked the pinky.. she had it in her mouth.. but spit it back out. (possibly I scared her? She's on top of my dresser and as I was getting clothes out the dresser did make a noise from closing the drawer so not sure if she felt that) I put a shirt over her enclosure to give her privacy just now. Hopefully by tonight when I check she has eaten.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MinniesBuggies View Post
    Hi Deborah! So I actually ended up getting some live pinkies ... first day I left the pinky overnight, she didn't eat. Next day moved her to a pencil case (smaller than her container), poked some holes, put the pinky in, covered it so it's dark, all day, still no eating. Placed them back in her own container yesterday. Just checked, still has not eaten. I think at this point I may just take her to the vet. If she doesn't even take a live pinky .. will she even bother with reptilinks?

I have seen animals refusing everything and taking reptilinks. Now keep in mind that if you offer that often (everyday) she will definitely not make progress, doing so you basically are stressing her even more.

Vet have little to NO hand on with snakes when it comes to feeding habits and will usually start talking about X-ray, blood test etc. They merely have experience with larger snakes, with that species and that size it is not likely that you will find someone with any knowledge at all.

Update.. so she actually attacked the pinky.. she had it in her mouth.. but spit it back out. (possibly I scared her? She's on top of my dresser and as I was getting clothes out the dresser did make a noise from closing the drawer so not sure if she felt that) I put a shirt over her enclosure to give her privacy just now. Hopefully by tonight when I check she has eaten.

It's possible they can get startled very easily remember she is very small it does not take much.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    I have seen animals refusing everything and taking reptilinks. Now keep in mind that if you offer that often (everyday) she will definitely not make progress, doing so you basically are stressing her even more.

Vet have little to NO hand on with snakes when it comes to feeding habits and will usually start talking about X-ray, blood test etc. They merely have experience with larger snakes, with that species and that size it is not likely that you will find someone with any knowledge at all.

It's possible they can get startled very easily remember she is very small it does not take much.
    Gotcha. No vet then.. let ya know how it continues .. gonna leave the pinky in for the rest of the day (she got it good.. I saw bite marks and blood on the pinky.. so maybe with privacy and no noise she will lunge again) if that doesn't work I'll throw in the reptilinks

Thanks

Deborah, great news, she ate a live pinky yesterday... Any suggestions on how many more live Pinky's I should feed her and when to switch back to f/t?
    I'll be feeding her again on Wednesday

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Deborah, great news, she ate a live pinky yesterday... Any suggestions on how many more live Pinky's I should feed her and when to switch back to f/t?
    I'll be feeding her again on Wednesday

Glad she did, try to get her back on track and feed at least 5 meals before attempting to switch back, and if she does not keep her on live for a while, IMO now that you triggered her back she should be good and revert back to F/T and hopefully keep eating for you throughout the winter.
    Deborah Stewart

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

MinniesBuggies (12-10-2018)

Thanks

Glad she did, try to get her back on track and feed at least 5 meals before attempting to switch back, and if she does not keep her on live for a while, IMO now that you triggered her back she should be good and revert back to F/T and hopefully keep eating for you throughout the winter.
    Gotcha!! Thank you!

Thanks

Hi again Deborah, so on Wednesday she did not eat the live pinky. I found out today (pinky is still alive in her enclosure taking it out tonight) bc I kept her enclosure covered so she would have her privacy and 24 hours to digest. BUT I did notice she's about to go into shed, which I assume is a good sign. At what weight do you recommend for me to move her up again to 6qt and so forth?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Hi again Deborah, so on Wednesday she did not eat the live pinky. I found out today (pinky is still alive in her enclosure taking it out tonight) bc I kept her enclosure covered so she would have her privacy and 24 hours to digest. BUT I did notice she's about to go into shed, which I assume is a good sign. At what weight do you recommend for me to move her up again to 6qt and so forth?

Until she reaches 25 grams and eats with consistency just keep her in the smaller tub, once she will be at 25 grams move her to a 6 quarts and you can than keep her there until she is 100/150 grams.
    Deborah Stewart

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

MinniesBuggies (12-14-2018)

Thanks

Until she reaches 25 grams and eats with consistency just keep her in the smaller tub, once she will be at 25 grams move her to a 6 quarts and you can than keep her there until she is 100/150 grams.
    Hi Deborah so my hoggie has had 6 successful meals since December... Hasn't been missing meals.. is pooping normally and peeing normally or so I thought till today. (she's at 18 grams now by the way, I weighed her today) so I'm holding her today about 20-30 minutes in she poops and urate came out too, but there was the slightest tinge of blood like mucasy kinda.. I have never seen blood on any of her poops before, should I be worried? Or is that normal, I mean it was literally a tiny bit... I checked her she has nothing crawling on her nor her enclosure nor water dish.

Thanks

These are the sizes I been feeding her "mouse pups"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast