Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 837

3 members and 834 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Feeding questions

I have a female Western hognose snake. She stopped eating before she went into shed about in August. Hasn't eaten since. I've tried scenting with tuna juice, but no go. Any suggestions? She's still peeing, is that good? I've read Weather change can cause lack of appetite, but she has lost a lil weight. Weighted her at 12.4 grams on August 7 now she weighs 10.8 grams as of today. Should I be worried about her weight?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes you should worry considering the size of the snake and the length it has already gone without food.

What is your setup like? In details from tank size to temps etc.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: Feeding questions

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Yes you should worry considering the size of the snake and the length it has already gone without food.

What is your setup like? In details from tank size to temps etc.
    6qt setup.. with aspen snake bedding. I have a hide on each side (one of the hides doubles as a water dish).. temp doesn't go higher than 91 Fahrenheit.. sometimes I see it go down to 88.. there are approximatelcy 80 holes including lid and sides... Her feeding schedule was Wednesdays and Sundays. And I would always grab her gently and place her head near the Pinky and she would eat immediately even let me video her a few times..

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    And I would always grab her gently and place her head near the Pinky and she would eat immediately
    That is completely unecessary and really a bad idea with an animal that young and small that oftens get startled by something as simple as a snake tong. You are actually lucky that she ate at all.

Offer food with tongs or leave it on the tub's floor (overnight) without messing with the snake and giving it privacy. (No staring, no video)

If that does not work downsize to a 2.7 quart tub like this one

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-...-of-6/55413807

Once move wait 5 to 7 days and offer food, at that point if that does not work start scenting with the following

Hard boiled egg

Vienna sausage

Anchovies

Toad

And if all that does not work use reptilink and frog juice https://reptilinks.com/products/frog...and-mini-links
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 11-09-2018 at 01:44 AM.
    Deborah Stewart

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (11-09-2018)

Thanks

That is completely unecessary and really a bad idea with an animal that young and small that oftens get startled by something as simple as a snake tong. You are actually lucky that she ate at all.

Offer food with tongs or leave it on the tub's floor (overnight) without messing with the snake and giving it privacy. (No staring, no video)

If that does not work downsize to a 2.7 quart tub like this one

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-...-of-6/55413807

Once move wait 5 to 7 days and offer food, at that point if that does not work start scenting with the following

Hard boiled egg

Vienna sausage

Anchovies

Toad

And if all that does not work use reptilink and frog juice https://reptilinks.com/products/frog...and-mini-links
    Thank you so much for your helpful links and suggestions. I will stop picking her up for feedings. I will put the next Pinky on Sunday overnight, or should I just start tonight and just switch up her feeding schedule if she eats? I am also going to switch where I keep her, since they get startled, I didn't think much of it. right now I have her on my kitchen table which is wobbly so it jiggles quite often when my son plays around the table, so maybe that also has her uneasy?

Thanks

Wow I'm really thinking about it now that you said they get startled oh snap she's probably been thinking she's in an earthquake all this time. My poor girl. I'm definitely switching her location, hopefully that helps

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MinniesBuggies View Post
    Thank you so much for your helpful links and suggestions. I will stop picking her up for feedings. I will put the next Pinky on Sunday overnight, or should I just start tonight and just switch up her feeding schedule if she eats? I am also going to switch where I keep her, since they get startled, I didn't think much of it. right now I have her on my kitchen table which is wobbly so it jiggles quite often when my son plays around the table, so maybe that also has her uneasy?

Possibly while Hognose are not prone to stress as adult such young animals how, switch things around wait a few days and see how it goes, usually getting females back on track is fairly easy or at least easier than males.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Possibly while Hognose are not prone to stress as adult such young animals how, switch things around wait a few days and see how it goes, usually getting females back on track is fairly easy or at least easier than males.
    Doing that now, thanks for your help. I'll keep ya posted!!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MinniesBuggies View Post
    ... temp doesn't go higher than 91 Fahrenheit.. sometimes I see it go down to 88...
    Is this the temperature 24/7 for the whole cage? If so, then I would turn off the heater and let the temperature drop to around 70 degrees Fahrenheit at night. Because prolonged high temperatures will turn a snake off food.

Good luck.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paulh View Post
    Is this the temperature 24/7 for the whole cage? If so, then I would turn off the heater and let the temperature drop to around 70 degrees Fahrenheit at night. Because prolonged high temperatures will turn a snake off food.

Good luck.
    Yes it's always on... I'll turn off the heat at night or set it specifically to 70.. thank you !

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast