Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,918

3 members and 2,915 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    I hope it works for you, I really do. Unfortunately there is no “easy” way to kill off mites. And I believe most methods using any kind of product has to have negative effects to some point. Hopefully you can limit the exposure enough, to do minimal to no harm in eliminating the pests. Best of luck Bro, best of luck.
    Last edited by Sonny1318; 11-10-2018 at 06:17 PM.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Re: Those aren’t chocolate chips... COOKIE!

Sorry to hear about the mites. We've had to deal with them on one of our BP's and our Dumeril's. The BP was pretty easy to treat (although we treated all snakes and enclosures to be safe), but the mites on Memphis were a pain to get rid of.

What I think eventually did the trick was cleaning out her bare cage with Natural Chemistry Reptile Spray. It seemed safer than PAM to me, although we tried that with the BP's cage. But after so many snakes going through the process with PAM is a hassle.

Anyway, I hope the Frontline treatment works. It took me ages, but I finally figured out that Natural Chemistry = clove oil. Just another tool to add in case you need it.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-10-2018),Phillydubs (11-10-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    Sorry to hear about the mites. We've had to deal with them on one of our BP's and our Dumeril's. The BP was pretty easy to treat (although we treated all snakes and enclosures to be safe), but the mites on Memphis were a pain to get rid of.

What I think eventually did the trick was cleaning out her bare cage with Natural Chemistry Reptile Spray. It seemed safer than PAM to me, although we tried that with the BP's cage. But after so many snakes going through the process with PAM is a hassle.

Anyway, I hope the Frontline treatment works. It took me ages, but I finally figured out that Natural Chemistry = clove oil. Just another tool to add in case you need it.
    Thank you this is very helpful!
    1.0 - Cinnamon Banana Ball Python (Thunder)
    1.0 - Yellow Belly High White Pied Ball Python (Pretty Fly For A White Guy)
    0.1 - Cinnamon GHI Ball Python (Leslie Snipes)
    1.0 - Dumerils Boa (Sushi)
    0.1 - Caye Caulker Boa (Lady Liberty)
    0.0.? - Mandarin Rat Snake (Bumble)
    1.0 - Mexican Black King (Rico Suave)
    1.0 - Black Tail Cribo (Goldar)
    0.1 - Jaguar Carpet Python (Cookie)
    1.0 - Vietnamese Blue Beauty (Elsa)
    1.0 - Green Tree Python (Banner)
    0.2 - Yellow/Quince Monitors (Blanche & Dorothy)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phillydubs View Post
    I just did the treatment Thursday afternoon I’m going to let it set and see.
    When I responded I didn't realize you had already done it. I hope it works & works safely for you. I personally try to use the least toxic method. (though we must all
    remember that "natural" isn't the same thing as "harmless"...there ARE plenty of natural substances that are also quite toxic)

Interesting to read about Natural Chemistry (clove oil), I'll keep that in mind. The best ant killer I've ever used was a product that was made with rosemary & winter-
    green oils: not only did it smell fantastic, the persistent ants died quickly from it plus it actually repelled the rest! Usually ants just keep coming until "the word gets
    passed along"- supposedly they follow each other's scent trails. I haven't had many problems with ants here, but when I lived in the desert, OMG they were relentless!

Back to the "chocolate chips"- I wonder if anyone has tried diatomaceous earth to kill mites. But I'm not gonna go buy a snake from an infested pet store to find out.
    Pretty sure it would be harmless to snakes, & if I had some live mites, I'd test it out in a jar with the mites. A safer way to eradicate mites would sure be nice.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Interesting to read about Natural Chemistry (clove oil), I'll keep that in mind. The best ant killer I've ever used was a product that was made with rosemary & winter-
    green oils: not only did it smell fantastic, the persistent ants died quickly from it plus it actually repelled the rest! Usually ants just keep coming until "the word gets
    passed along"- supposedly they follow each other's scent trails. I haven't had many problems with ants here, but when I lived in the desert, OMG they were relentless!

Back to the "chocolate chips"- I wonder if anyone has tried diatomaceous earth to kill mites. But I'm not gonna go buy a snake from an infested pet store to find out.
    Pretty sure it would be harmless to snakes, & if I had some live mites, I'd test it out in a jar with the mites. A safer way to eradicate mites would sure be nice.
    I'm sure there's probably other stuff in Natural Chemistry, but the smell is definitely from clove oil. I have a more natural flea/tick spray for my dogs and it smells the same, which is how I made the connection. A quick Google search led to other specifically reptile products also made with clove oil for snakes, so it's nice that there's a more natural product to try. It did take a few treatments on our boa and her cage, but (knock on wood) I haven't seen any sign of mites for a few weeks at this point.

We put diatomaceous earth down in our yard every year. I could see potentially adding it to the substrate to deal with pests and eggs, but I'm not sure about using it on a snake directly. It is very drying, so I imagine it would cause shedding issues.
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WhompingWillow For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-11-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    We put diatomaceous earth down in our yard every year. I could see potentially adding it to the substrate to deal with pests and eggs, but I'm not sure about using it on a snake directly. It is very drying, so I imagine it would cause shedding issues.
    Are you sure you're not thinking of "Dri-Die"?

I think diatomaceous earth could be added to the substrate for sure, but I also think a snake could be dusted in a container for a while*, then rinsed off, & with the
    substrate being treated too as a back-up, I would think it would be safe & effective. Maybe a second treatment afterwards to be sure nothing else hatches out, as
    with other products. (*I'd want to time it with some live mites in a jar first, see how long before they expire...then you'd know how long to leave it on the snake.)

Again, this is my speculation as to safety & efficacy...I have NOT tried it on a snake & I hope someone will chime in who may know for sure? This might be a good
    question for your veterinarian or even a zookeeper...? Someone HAS to have tried it? And birds are delicate but can get mites also...so the community of
    bird breeders may know also, & if it's safe for birds, it's most likely fine for a snake. (I wonder what's in avian mite powder...I'll look when I have a chance)

Just looked: Yup, Johnson's poultry mite & lice powder is diatomaceous earth. That's literally the FIRST bird powder I looked at.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-10-2018 at 10:05 PM.

Thanks
    fyi-
    "Where Does DE Come From?

Diatomaceous earth is made up of tiny fossilized diatoms (plankton) that have accumulated over millennia in fresh water lakes. These pure deposits are mined and ground into a fine powder that is naturally high in silica and other minerals. It is this chalky white powder that we call diatomaceous earth."
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-10-2018 at 10:10 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    For those of you scoring at home:

I offered her food on Monday night. She again took prey item one but not 2...

she was still soaking off and on since the treatment.

I gave her a second round of the treatment last night. A week later I had her in a tub this time and sprayed her neck down and rubbed her down. She was covered good. She seems much better today. Back perched and taking in heat.

I added the water back after 24 hours and she hasn’t been in it once. Im
    holing this worked and she starts eating with gusto again and is past this.

Ill continue to report for those who want to try this treatment or ask questions.
    1.0 - Cinnamon Banana Ball Python (Thunder)
    1.0 - Yellow Belly High White Pied Ball Python (Pretty Fly For A White Guy)
    0.1 - Cinnamon GHI Ball Python (Leslie Snipes)
    1.0 - Dumerils Boa (Sushi)
    0.1 - Caye Caulker Boa (Lady Liberty)
    0.0.? - Mandarin Rat Snake (Bumble)
    1.0 - Mexican Black King (Rico Suave)
    1.0 - Black Tail Cribo (Goldar)
    0.1 - Jaguar Carpet Python (Cookie)
    1.0 - Vietnamese Blue Beauty (Elsa)
    1.0 - Green Tree Python (Banner)
    0.2 - Yellow/Quince Monitors (Blanche & Dorothy)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Phillydubs For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (11-16-2018)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123