Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,012

1 members and 3,011 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Choosing animals for Breeding Projects

Hi guys,

Maybe I'm dumb, and I'm probably a good bit ahead of myself, but I really am thinking that I want to get a few more females in my possession and growing as a planned eventual breeding project. While money is not an issue, I don't want to go too overboard on things. I'm aware that there are a lot of other expenses that I will incur, and I've got plenty of time before the animals I'm picking up will be anywhere near breeding size.

With that said, I am picking animals for an eventual run at a breeding project. My present thought is to have selected 2 or 3 females with a similar gene grouping to benefit from a single male stud. Then to have selected a second trio or quad of animals with a complementary gene grouping in order to have unrelated hold backs on both sides for a next generation. This would be me looking to go from 1.2 animals to 1.5 or 1.6 animals in short order. I've got plenty of space for hatchlings now and have a second rack on order for when they get closer to sub-adult size.

Food and Husbandry aren't an issue, that's all fine. I've got plenty of time to keep animals healthy and hale. I'm a single guy and I live in my sister's basement suite. Animals are in a back corner of my bedroom away from traffic. I have plans on purchasing a commercial incubator at least 6 months in advance of pairing animals. Not a problem there.

Does anyone else plan breeding projects like this, or does someone have a better plan. I know the genes I want to work with, and I don't have a problem getting going with what I need. I know there is a chance that someone doesn't want to breed, or that mishaps can happen. Those things aside, how do you pick out your (future) breeders?

Thanks in advance!

Paul

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 657 Posts

Re: Choosing animals for Breeding Projects

Quote Originally Posted by pbenner View Post
    Hi guys,

Maybe I'm dumb, and I'm probably a good bit ahead of myself, but I really am thinking that I want to get a few more females in my possession and growing as a planned eventual breeding project. While money is not an issue, I don't want to go too overboard on things. I'm aware that there are a lot of other expenses that I will incur, and I've got plenty of time before the animals I'm picking up will be anywhere near breeding size.

With that said, I am picking animals for an eventual run at a breeding project. My present thought is to have selected 2 or 3 females with a similar gene grouping to benefit from a single male stud. Then to have selected a second trio or quad of animals with a complementary gene grouping in order to have unrelated hold backs on both sides for a next generation. This would be me looking to go from 1.2 animals to 1.5 or 1.6 animals in short order. I've got plenty of space for hatchlings now and have a second rack on order for when they get closer to sub-adult size.

Food and Husbandry aren't an issue, that's all fine. I've got plenty of time to keep animals healthy and hale. I'm a single guy and I live in my sister's basement suite. Animals are in a back corner of my bedroom away from traffic. I have plans on purchasing a commercial incubator at least 6 months in advance of pairing animals. Not a problem there.

Does anyone else plan breeding projects like this, or does someone have a better plan. I know the genes I want to work with, and I don't have a problem getting going with what I need. I know there is a chance that someone doesn't want to breed, or that mishaps can happen. Those things aside, how do you pick out your (future) breeders?

Thanks in advance!

Paul
    The only advice that I can give you this when you're picking out breeders is to get the best animal that you can afford set a price range that you feel the animals worth and pick the best example with in that price range don't cheap out quality breeds true

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 952 Posts

Re: Choosing animals for Breeding Projects

Always go with quality animals. Say you want to make a Bumblebee. Don't just grab the cheapest Pastel and Spider you can find. Look for ones that really stand out. Ask to see the animals that were paired to produce the one you are looking at. Is the adult Pastel browned out etc? Don't be put off by a higher price on an animal that is far superior in quality to others of the same gene.
    - Greg

Visit our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/412Balls/

or our website: http://412balls.weebly.com/

Thanks
    i try and see if the breeder has pics of the parents. Don’t cheap out or u will have a cheap outcome.

Thanks
    I also have a breeder that’s a friend of mine and I ask her what she thinks before I purchase if she is available. I try and stay local too. I live in Houston and I’m thinking of taking my daughter for a vacation to bhb to meet Brian and buy a few Bp from him in 2019.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I appreciate the advice. I'm already doing most of it. Being careful about making sure I'm buying attractive animals with attractive parents that only have Genes that I want to work with. So far the snakes I have are beautiful animals with awesome temperaments.

The two waiting to be shipped here are also beautiful specimens. I'll take pictures when they are here and settled.

Just down to picking a few more to be raising up I guess.

Thanks again!

Paul