Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,851

0 members and 2,851 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

View Poll Results: Do you use a humid hide/humidity box? If so, how often?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO, I do not use them, and have not used them before.

23 43.40%
  • NO, I do not use them now, but have used them before. I stopped using them for X reason. (Please explain)

5 9.43%
  • YES, I use them, but ONLY have them in the enclosure during shedding.

11 20.75%
  • YES, I use them, and have them in the enclosure at all times.

13 24.53%
  • Other. (Please explain)

1 1.89%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Re: Do you use a humid hide/humidity box? If so, how often?

I've never used one with a ball python, but would definitely give it a try if I started having poor sheds. PVC + reptile prime + one thorough mist when I see them go blue has worked like a champ so far in north TX. My house is fairly humid for the area due to my husbands aquariums, so we have ambient humidity between 45 and 55% depending on season, so there isn't a huge gap to overcome for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts
    The only time I regularly provided humid hides was when I kept a Brazilian and a Colombian rainbow boa. It was back in 1994. It was probably unnecessary with the cages I was using, but I didn’t want to take any chances. They both made good use out of them. Some where around that time I decided that it was just in my best interest as a keeper to just start using a big humidifier. I consider a humidifier part of my husbandry game. I also like to add moss to the tank when I see my snakes go into blue. In Chicago where I live, the winters are brutally dry with the furnace running. I look at it as a benefit for my health also.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

Thanks

I use them for a few months in winter when my house humidity is a bit low for their needs. But I use open containers of damp sphagnum. It increases the enclosure ambient humidity enough, and isn't short lived like misting. Once in a while they will burrow in the moss if they're in shed.

I have a corn snake, a rosy boa and a hognose, so I don't need to keep their entire environment high humidity, or to worry about it most of the year.

I tried offering humid hides in the summer when they were in shed and they never used them and have perfect sheds when I don't offer them.

Thanks

It's silly to me to provide so many different hides for the snake. That would take up too much room. I do put moist moss in the hide I created for my snakes and most use them daily. I'ts not a necessity but since my snakes do enjoy it I provde that option. My tank struggles with humidity as it is (At least my big tank does) So I keep the water bowl on one side and the hide with moss on the other to keep humidity up on both sides. My snake also has the option to bask on top of her hide to get extra warmth. So IMO one hide is necessary. And only use them if your snake is having trouble shedding and or your tanks humidity is not up to par. Or if your snakes just enjoy it. It doesn't hurt to set one up and observe how often they use it.

Thanks

I offer one to mine when she is in shed. Even if she doesn't use it, it still helps maintain a more constant humidity level in the entire enclosure. I live in a very dry climate, so it keeps me from having to mist 2-3 times daily so I can give her a little more peace during shed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Registered User Bumblebee my snake's Avatar
    Thanks
    i have used them, but id recommend if you do, to make sure the sides are dark or they might not use it.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

I just spray daily then when they’re in shed mode I up the spraying to two it three times daily

Perfect sheds 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Registered User Titantheballpython's Avatar
    Thanks

I wanted to have a extra humid spot for my python but he is quite large so just has a big bowl of water in his enclosure. I also live in a very humid state so the humidity is very high in my house and in the tanks. Which isnt so great for my bearded dragons who need low humidity. Its ususally in 50s or 60s in my pythons tank.

Thanks

I live in the high desert. Ambient humidity is usually 20% or lower outside, but with my water bowls and coconut fiber substrate, I get the proper humidity levels in my enclosures. Still, I always offer humid hides for my ball pythons, Nelson’s milksnake, and western hognose. All of my snakes use them as needed and none of them overuse them. I don’t think they’re necessary by any means, but they’re little to no inconvenience to me with the size of my collection, my snakes seem to like them, and their skin looks great, so I’ll keep offering them.

Thanks
    I just put some sphagnum moss inside his favorite hide whenever I see the first signs of shed (pink belly) works perfectly for us and he loves it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast