Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,881

1 members and 2,880 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Question on the whole quarantine

Ive had my baby ball python for less then 2 months. i just got my new 2 year old+ friday. I only own the 2. I know its probably not the best idea but since i only have the 2 i decided i would put them both in my room. I couldnt heat 2 rooms to a temp that was above 70 degrees. I know when doing quarantine the timer restarts. So because i only have the 2 i figured why not just put them in the same room considering ive only had the 1 for less then quarantine time. I check them daily to every couple days to make sure there doing okay. Was this a bad idea?. I am not getting anymore the 2 is all i need. Also what do i keep an eye out for?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Question on the whole quarantine

Better to ask forgiveness than ask for permission?

You've already done it, so the answer is somewhat arbitrary at this point.

To answer your question. Proper quarantine means different rooms.

How long you have had the first snake is not the major issue either. It's how long you've had the new one.

If they must be in the same room, proper quarantine is as follows:

1. Keep the them as far apart as possible - not touching tanks, or close together, etc.

2. Handle, feed, clean, water, etc. the new snake last. Do not then handle the original snake again the same day unless you've fully cleaned yourself and changed clothes.

3. Quarantine for the new snake should last 90 days.

4. Do not share tools. Each snake needs its own tongs, hooks, hides, water bowls, etc. No cross mingling. NONE.

If you follow this above steps, and barring anything horribly wrong with the new snake, you should be okay, although, and again, it's not recommended that they be in the same room.

If you've already failed to follow one of the above steps, it's, again, somewhat arbitrary, but I would still follow them for the next 90 days and hope for the best.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-08-2018),dr del (11-08-2018),JRLongton (11-08-2018),RickyNY (11-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Better to ask forgiveness than ask for permission?

You've already done it, so the answer is somewhat arbitrary at this point.

To answer your question. Proper quarantine means different rooms.

How long you have had the first snake is not the major issue either. It's how long you've had the new one.

If they must be in the same room, proper quarantine is as follows:

1. Keep the them as far apart as possible - not touching tanks, or close together, etc.

2. Handle, feed, clean, water, etc. the new snake last. Do not then handle the original snake again the same day unless you've fully cleaned yourself and changed clothes.

3. Quarantine for the new snake should last 90 days.

4. Do not share tools. Each snake needs its own tongs, hooks, hides, water bowls, etc. No cross mingling. NONE.

If you follow this above steps, and barring anything horribly wrong with the new snake, you should be okay, although, and again, it's not recommended that they be in the same room.

If you've already failed to follow one of the above steps, it's, again, somewhat arbitrary, but I would still follow them for the next 90 days and hope for the best.
    I would reword #3 as "Quarantine for BOTH snakes should last 90 days." Otherwise this advice is spot on.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-08-2018),dakski (11-08-2018),dr del (11-08-2018),JRLongton (11-08-2018)

Thanks
    With only two snakes quarantine should be simple. In addition to dakski's spot on recommendations, I'd just suggest that you do the snake keeping for each snake on different days.

You shouldn't be handling everyday anyhow. So just alternate days. Handle and change water for the snakelet on (say) Monday. Tuesday do the same for the 2+ year old. Wednesday, the snakelet again, Thursday the 2+. Just keep changing it up like that for a few months.

That schedule is just for the purpose of an example. Many snakes get stressed at being handled even every other day. But you get what I mean.

The only issue is cleaning poop. If you need to clean poop, don't go near the other snake the same day you clean the one's mess. The worst nastiness is transmitted in feces.

It's nigh impossible to resist getting more snakes, but good hygiene and proper quarantine is essential. You really don't want to learn these things the hard way.
    Last edited by JRLongton; 11-08-2018 at 10:25 AM.
    \m/

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JRLongton For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (11-08-2018),Bogertophis (11-08-2018),dakski (11-08-2018)

Thanks

Thanks everyone. I didn't see the point in putting one in a different room that I'd have to heat up when I only have the two. I just figured put them in the same room I only have the two. I always wash my hands before handling between the two. I won't handle them in the same day as suggested. I was only making sure I didn't make a horrible choice. I know a lot of people have big snake collections which is necessary for quarantine a different room. But I'm not getting any more it's only going to be the two. I also don't want either one getting sick. I've only had the one for not even 2 months so I figured it was okay to put the other one in the same room because from what I'm aware of you don't start seeing signs I've been in kind of illness for months anyhow I could be wrong I'm new to owning snakes myself ball pythons specifically

Thanks

Sounds good Dylan_.

Even though most of my collection is established. When I go from one animal to another, I use hand sanitizer and/or wash my hands (I do both if I cleaned up waste).

It might be overkill if there was no waste and I just touched an animal, but it's better safe than sorry.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

dr del (11-08-2018),Dylan_ (11-08-2018),JRLongton (11-08-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Sounds good Dylan_.

Even though most of my collection is established. When I go from one animal to another, I use hand sanitizer and/or wash my hands (I do both if I cleaned up waste).

It might be overkill if there was no waste and I just touched an animal, but it's better safe than sorry.
    Yeah. Im always paranoid on stuff. So i try to go over board with alot of stuff lol

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dylan_ For This Useful Post:

dakski (11-08-2018),JRLongton (11-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Good old hand washing with soap & water for at least 30 seconds does the MOST...hand sanitizers are thought to increase the # of resistant germs.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (11-08-2018),JRLongton (11-08-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Good old hand washing with soap & water for at least 30 seconds does the MOST...hand sanitizers are thought to increase the # of resistant germs.
    Sounds good, thank you.

I do wash with antibacterial soap when finished with all the reptiles duties for the day. I am encouraged to do this by my doctors. I am a kidney transplant recipient and have a reduced immune system to prevent rejection. They want me to that for my protection.

However, for others', as well as between reptiles, good to know to use plain old soap.