Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,913

1 members and 2,912 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

So I was looking at Morph Market....Anthill pythons

And ran across these Anthill pythons from a local breeder (link below). I’ve looked at Children’s and Spotted pythons in the past, but never heard of these. Anyone keep these? Not looking to add anything in the near future, but when/if I decide to add more snakes I’d like them to be on the smaller side.

https://www.morphmarket.com/us/c/rep...-python/141192

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

zina10 (11-07-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: So I was looking at Morph Market....Anthill pythons

Don’t know anything about them but it looks super cool!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dxw425 View Post
    Don’t know anything about them but it looks super cool!
    That’s what I think will get me in trouble. I’ve done a bit of preliminary research into care requirements, and they appear to be pretty straight forward...hot spot just a bit above bp’s from what I’ve found so far. I’m particularly interested because they aren’t real common and will never require a large enclosure. Hmmmmm.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    I vaguely remember reading about these when I researched my spotted python, & by the way, she's only about a foot longer than the 28" Anthill pythons,
    and they look very similar. (my "Spotted" is a granite phase) I checked out the link you posted, I can't imagine keeping a 28" snake in a 10 gal. for life, but
    maybe a 20 gal.? My Spotted (10 years old, so she's fully grown) is quite comfortable in a 30 gal. tank. The Anthills are pretty tiny as hatchlings & even the
    Spotteds can be tricky to start off (their first food in the wild is lizards, then as they grow they get bold enough to take small rodents) so you might want to
    make sure you get a well-started one, if you go ahead.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I vaguely remember reading about these when I researched my spotted python, & by the way, she's only about a foot longer than the 28" Anthill pythons,
    and they look very similar. (my "Spotted" is a granite phase) I checked out the link you posted, I can't imagine keeping a 28" snake in a 10 gal. for life, but
    maybe a 20 gal.? My Spotted (10 years old, so she's fully grown) is quite comfortable in a 30 gal. tank. The Anthills are pretty tiny as hatchlings & even the
    Spotteds can be tricky to start off (their first food in the wild is lizards, then as they grow they get bold enough to take small rodents) so you might want to
    make sure you get a well-started one, if you go ahead.
    I agree that a 10 gal. isn’t adequate...never been one to skimp on cage size if I can help it. I’d be looking at 3’x2’x12” or 4’x2’x12” to fit my other planned stacks...hoping to revamp my cage setup next year. I’ve also looked at Children’s and Spotted pythons in the past, and again more recently along with some other smaller species of boa and python. I agree on finding ones that are well started if I go with juveniles, but was thinking on older animals, if I move forward with the idea. Mostly just bouncing the idea around right now.

I don’t actually NEED anything else, but ran across these when looking at this breeder’s bp offerings. Currently I have my 7’ Bci (who is 26). I’m fine handling her on my own, but I’m not getting any younger. I’m looking at both my ability to provide lifetime care, as well as personal safety without a second person on hand to help since losing my other half in April. The majority of my collection is made up of bp’s (7 of 12), with my Bci, 2 corns, a Solomon Island ground boa, and a Colombian rainbow to round it out. This may be where my collection stops, but it’s always fun to window shop.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

zina10 (11-07-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    ....I don’t actually NEED anything else, but ran across these when looking at this breeder’s bp offerings. Currently I have my 7’ Bci
    (who is 26). I’m fine handling her on my own, but I’m not getting any younger. I’m looking at both my ability to provide lifetime care, as well as personal safety
    without a second person on hand to help since losing my other half in April. The majority of my collection is made up of bp’s (7 of 12), with my Bci, 2 corns, a
    Solomon Island ground boa, and a Colombian rainbow to round it out. This may be where my collection stops, but it’s always fun to window shop.
    I understand completely: Many years ago I took in a bitey-yearling BCI that NO one wanted (she changed hands multiple times in her first year) & I had never
    intended to have a large boa, so I figured I might re-home her once I calmed her down, but I hoped she'd be one that just stayed smaller. For a number of years
    she didn't seem to be growing fast, but eventually her growth took off. At age 13 years she was 7 1/2', and at that point I finally managed to find ONE person
    (a vet tech & her husband) that was into larger boids and that I felt OK re-homing her with. I wanted to keep her, but my size versus hers...and like you, I am
    "not getting any younger" either: I've had snakes live into mid-20's so I figured with "my luck", it was the right time to place her with others. Turned out she
    only lived until this year (age 18) but no way to have known that. It didn't take me very long to calm her down, she never bit me even once in our 12 years,
    but getting her back in her cage after handling became a rodeo... So like you, I really appreciate small & medium size serpents, they're just a better fit for
    me too. I used to have 4 big dogs, some years ago- 2 Dobermans & 2 shepherd mixes, but now I have one medium (46 lbs) & one small (20 lbs); the size issue
    became obvious when I had to pick up my 'late' 87 lb. Doberman to get him to the vet when his health failed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I understand completely: Many years ago I took in a bitey-yearling BCI that NO one wanted (she changed hands multiple times in her first year) & I had never
    intended to have a large boa, so I figured I might re-home her once I calmed her down, but I hoped she'd be one that just stayed smaller. For a number of years
    she didn't seem to be growing fast, but eventually her growth took off. At age 13 years she was 7 1/2', and at that point I finally managed to find ONE person
    (a vet tech & her husband) that was into larger boids and that I felt OK re-homing her with. I wanted to keep her, but my size versus hers...and like you, I am
    "not getting any younger" either: I've had snakes live into mid-20's so I figured with "my luck", it was the right time to place her with others. Turned out she
    only lived until this year (age 18) but no way to have known that. It didn't take me very long to calm her down, she never bit me even once in our 12 years,
    but getting her back in her cage after handling became a rodeo... So like you, I really appreciate small & medium size serpents, they're just a better fit for
    me too. I used to have 4 big dogs, some years ago- 2 Dobermans & 2 shepherd mixes, but now I have one medium (46 lbs) & one small (20 lbs); the size issue
    became obvious when I had to pick up my 'late' 87 lb. Doberman to get him to the vet when his health failed.
    I figure I don’t have many more years, if years at all, with my Bci. My male passed last year when he was 26, so I figure any additional time I have with her is a bonus. She’s good about going back in her cage, it’s convincing her to come out that’s the problem. As for aging reptiles, I seem to be good at that since 5 of my crew are seniors: Bci 26, Colombian rainbow 30, normal bp 28, Solomon Island ground boa 18 +/-, and the corns are 16. The rest are 3 years of age or less, so I have a lot of years to plan for. I had tinkered with getting into carpets again, and there are some smaller varieties, but ultimately I decided I didn’t want anything over 4’-5’ maximum. That’s a comfortable size to handle solo, and easily housed as well.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

zina10 (11-18-2018)