Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 250

7 members and 243 guests
Most users ever online was 3,642, 05-08-2016 at 09:50 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 62,492
Threads: 235,563
Posts: 2,440,055
Top Poster: JLC (31,652)
Welcome to our newest member, squid13
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36
  1. #1
    Registered User HeathBish's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-26-2018
    Posts
    93
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked 37 Times in 25 Posts

    2 mice and striking at Moss then eating it.

    For those of you who don't know... I got a 4yr old (almost 5) Normal BP a little over 2 weeks ago. He was eating live. Long story short, I was told he had not eaten in almost two months when I got him. I left him alone for a week. Offered f/t. Refused. Left him alone. 2 days later he was in shed. Finished yesterday. I read up on how to encourage feeding. Left it to thaw on top of his cage and thought if he is interested he will come out. We'll, he did. And I fed him. He missed and I think it's because he is used to live and not dangling. So I dropped it right after he missed in front of him and he got it. Ate it. I had another ready incase he wanted it. He was looking and I gave it to him by dropping it. He took it in his hide and I'm guessing ate it. I then saw him with his head sticking out, struck at a pile of moss and then took it in the hide. I'm like 99.9% sure he ate that, too. I'm confused. What the heck is that and should I be worried? I need reassurance.

    Sent using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Registered User HeathBish's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-26-2018
    Posts
    93
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked 37 Times in 25 Posts

    Re: 2 mice and striking at Moss then eating it.

    I wonder if he's "special"

    Sent using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Registered User HeathBish's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-26-2018
    Posts
    93
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked 37 Times in 25 Posts

    Re: 2 mice and striking at Moss then eating it.

    Ok! He's sticking his head out again! I'm worried he's gonna eat moss for a second time. The MFer that had him before would put like 5 mice in with him at the same time. And I think he thinks there's more in there and smells the mouse on his substrate

    Sent using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-05-2018
    Posts
    226
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 39 Times in 33 Posts

    Re: 2 mice and striking at Moss then eating it.

    Quote Originally Posted by HeathBish View Post
    For those of you who don't know... I got a 4yr old (almost 5) Normal BP a little over 2 weeks ago. He was eating live. Long story short, I was told he had not eaten in almost two months when I got him. I left him alone for a week. Offered f/t. Refused. Left him alone. 2 days later he was in shed. Finished yesterday. I read up on how to encourage feeding. Left it to thaw on top of his cage and thought if he is interested he will come out. We'll, he did. And I fed him. He missed and I think it's because he is used to live and not dangling. So I dropped it right after he missed in front of him and he got it. Ate it. I had another ready incase he wanted it. He was looking and I gave it to him by dropping it. He took it in his hide and I'm guessing ate it. I then saw him with his head sticking out, struck at a pile of moss and then took it in the hide. I'm like 99.9% sure he ate that, too. I'm confused. What the heck is that and should I be worried? I need reassurance.

    Sent using Tapatalk
    Ive never seen mine strick at substrate before. Ive had mine eat some substrate. I use eco earth. I started to move half of her substrate away when feeding to get as little as possible on the rat because she has a tendacy of dragging it all over the place lol. You could also make a tub for feeding only if your really worried. Or maybe take substrate out a day before feed and put like paper towel down untill after feed just a suggestion. Ive had mine eat like a mouth full of substrate before. I wouldnt be to concerned. Just keep an eye on it and make sure there isnt anything lodged in the mouth etc. Usually when they get substrate in there mouth they "spit it out for say". Ive watched mine remove the substrate on its own before.

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dylan_ For This Useful Post:

    HeathBish (11-07-2018)

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-05-2018
    Posts
    226
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked 39 Times in 33 Posts

    Re: 2 mice and striking at Moss then eating it.

    Personally i wont do the whole feeding in seperate enclosure. i feed mine in enclosure lets stress. But im actually thinking of removing all substrate the day before feed. so mine stops getting substrate on her food as well. But maybe someone else has better oppinion or options for you. Im a new ball python owner. ive owned my baby ball whos like 7 months old for 2 months now. and my new adoption which ive had since friday so havent seen her feed yet and shes 2+ years old.

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dylan_ For This Useful Post:

    HeathBish (11-07-2018)

  8. #6
    BPnet Lifer zina10's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-09-2010
    Location
    southeast
    Posts
    4,034
    Thanks
    4,743
    Thanked 5,087 Times in 2,201 Posts
    I'm pretty sure he didn't actually eat the moss. Even if it smelled of rodent, it gives of no heat signature.

    He is just HUNGRY and still in feed mode. Not the time you want to mess with him to check what he ate. If his head is sticking out of his hide and his face / mouth looks fine, he is just fine.

    He is still looking for food. Are you feeding with long tongs or dangle the mice by the tail with your hands? I highly recommend you get long hemostats and use those for feeding. You can then hold the rat/mouse behind the head and present to the snake without dangling it. Either way, you won't have to drop it.

    Or just lay them down in front of the hide.

    I bet your boy is just fine, he was just hungry still. Lift the hide tomorrow and check on him, and let us know
    Zina

    0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Pastel Yellowbelly Ball Python "Jag"

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-Exup╚ry

  9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (11-07-2018),cfd701 (11-07-2018),craigafrechette (11-07-2018),Dylan_ (11-07-2018),Sonny1318 (11-08-2018)

  10. #7
    Registered User HeathBish's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-26-2018
    Posts
    93
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked 37 Times in 25 Posts

    Re: 2 mice and striking at Moss then eating it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan_ View Post
    Personally i wont do the whole feeding in seperate enclosure. i feed mine in enclosure lets stress. But im actually thinking of removing all substrate the day before feed. so mine stops getting substrate on her food as well. But maybe someone else has better oppinion or options for you. Im a new ball python owner. ive owned my baby ball whos like 7 months old for 2 months now. and my new adoption which ive had since friday so havent seen her feed yet and shes 2+ years old.

    Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    I prefer to feed him in his enclosure as well. Thank you and congrats on your adoption

    Sent using Tapatalk

  11. #8
    Registered User HeathBish's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-26-2018
    Posts
    93
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked 37 Times in 25 Posts

    Re: 2 mice and striking at Moss then eating it.

    Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    I'm pretty sure he didn't actually eat the moss. Even if it smelled of rodent, it gives of no heat signature.

    He is just HUNGRY and still in feed mode. Not the time you want to mess with him to check what he ate. If his head is sticking out of his hide and his face / mouth looks fine, he is just fine.

    He is still looking for food. Are you feeding with long tongs or dangle the mice by the tail with your hands? I highly recommend you get long hemostats and use those for feeding. You can then hold the rat/mouse behind the head and present to the snake without dangling it. Either way, you won't have to drop it.

    Or just lay them down in front of the hide.

    I bet your boy is just fine, he was just hungry still. Lift the hide tomorrow and check on him, and let us know
    I use the long feeding tongs. When I prevented it the first time and he missed I totally freaked and pulled back because he's a big boy and I was scared for my hand lol. He completely missed it though and seemed to go for my hand. I make sure the mice are really warm so I can't see him mistaken it for my hand. It's new to him so maybe that's why? I know I shouldn't have pulled back have but it just happened. I had adult mice that are too big for my little one so I just wanted to see if he would eat. Next week I will get him a rat. That should fill him up.

    This is a sign he's doing really well now right? Health wise, I mean.

    Sent using Tapatalk

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to HeathBish For This Useful Post:

    zina10 (11-07-2018)

  13. #9
    Registered User craigafrechette's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-27-2017
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    6,652
    Thanks
    8,204
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 2,956 Posts

    Re: 2 mice and striking at Moss then eating it.

    Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    I'm pretty sure he didn't actually eat the moss. Even if it smelled of rodent, it gives of no heat signature.

    He is just HUNGRY and still in feed mode. Not the time you want to mess with him to check what he ate. If his head is sticking out of his hide and his face / mouth looks fine, he is just fine.

    He is still looking for food. Are you feeding with long tongs or dangle the mice by the tail with your hands? I highly recommend you get long hemostats and use those for feeding. You can then hold the rat/mouse behind the head and present to the snake without dangling it. Either way, you won't have to drop it.

    Or just lay them down in front of the hide.

    I bet your boy is just fine, he was just hungry still. Lift the hide tomorrow and check on him, and let us know
    ^^^ All of this. ^^^

    There is no need to remove all the substrate. Nobody removes substrate for them in the wild. They have been swallowing substrate since the dawn of time and have survived for thousands of years.

    Not to mention, a change like that, although subtle to us, is a big deal to a snake, especially a finicky BP. And for snakes, change = stress. Stressed snakes often refuse food.

    If anything, put down a paper plate or piece of cardboard if it helps you relax, but they typically drag the prey into their hides or wherever they want anyway.

    Also, a seperate feeding tub is a bad idea, stick to feeding in the enclosure. Ok
    Last edited by craigafrechette; 11-07-2018 at 09:13 AM.
    ...life is beautiful...

    "Every man dies, not every man really lives"
    - Braveheart

    "If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead"
    - Layne Staley, Alice In Chains

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to craigafrechette For This Useful Post:

    cfd701 (11-07-2018),HeathBish (11-07-2018),Kira (11-08-2018)

  15. #10
    Registered User HeathBish's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-26-2018
    Posts
    93
    Thanks
    87
    Thanked 37 Times in 25 Posts

    Re: 2 mice and striking at Moss then eating it.

    Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    ^^^ All of this. ^^^

    There is no need to remove all the substrate. Nobody removes substrate for them in the wild. They have been swallowing substrate since the dawn of time and have survived for thousands of years.

    Not to mention, a change like that, although subtle to us, is a big deal to a snake, especially a finicky BP. And for snakes, change = stress. Stressed snakes often refuse food.

    If anything, put down a paper plate or piece of cardboard if it helps you relax, but they typically drag the prey into their hides or wherever they want anyway.

    Also, a seperate feeding tub is a bad idea, stick to feeding in the enclosure. Ok
    As long as I'm being told he won't get sick I'll be fine lol. I assumed but it's good to hear as well. Thank you.

    Sent using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1