Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,796

3 members and 1,793 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Out of Quarantine and Into General Population

Hey Guys & Gals.....

End of quarantine will be here in the next couple of days for Phantom (my Super Ghost BCI) and I need a few recommendations

He's currently in a 32 quart tub w/ a UTH on each side to control surface temps. It's getting a little chilly in the house causing the ambients to drop to the 73-75 range so it's probably a good thing that I can finally move him to a warmer room.

Housing: Should I keep him in this tub or move him to his forever home which is an AP-10? The AP-10 will be heated by an RHP which will 'probably' provide better ambients but it also is a much bigger space for a growing BOA that's under a year old. Also, the new enclosure will have a new substrate (reptichip vs. scott towels) and several hides for clutter.

Lighting: My current quarantine room is upstairs with a window so the room sees both daylight and darkness. The reptile room (only a BP exists) is in a finished basement w/ minimal light (small transom window). Will this be ok for the BOA or it is better if I put a light on a timer? I don't think they need light but thought it might help w/ feeding since I try to feed only during the night. Please note that I've been incorporating Tap Training from the start to help differentiate between feeding time and handling.

If and when I decide to switch him to a new enclosure, is it recommended not to hold him until he's eaten 3 times?

Thanks!

Chris
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I don't see any reason not to put him in the T10 if he's had a decent feeding response up to now. Usually once baby boas start eating they're little garbage disposals until they get into breeding mode, and even then many never go off food. I would try to minimize handling for a bit after the move to give him time to settle into his new home.

For the light on the timer were you thinking of putting one in the enclosure, or doing a lamp outside the enclosure to light up that part of the basement? I would probably do the latter, maybe some efficient LED lighting in the area where you keep your snakes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (11-05-2018)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts

Re: Out of Quarantine and Into General Population

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Housing: Should I keep him in this tub or move him to his forever home which is an AP-10? The AP-10 will be heated by an RHP which will 'probably' provide better ambients but it also is a much bigger space for a growing BOA that's under a year old. Also, the new enclosure will have a new substrate (reptichip vs. scott towels) and several hides for clutter.
    Either or is fine. If you want to keep him in the tub, go for it. If you'd rather move him into the bigger enclosure, go for it. Boas are usually not that picky. Especially if you're providing hides and clutter. If you do move to a new enclosure, I'd probably give him a week to adjust before feeding but again, not totally necessary, he may eat right away. I've moved mine from tubs to pvcs and offered that same week and they do fine.

Lighting: My current quarantine room is upstairs with a window so the room sees both daylight and darkness. The reptile room (only a BP exists) is in a finished basement w/ minimal light (small transom window). Will this be ok for the BOA or it is better if I put a light on a timer? I don't think they need light but thought it might help w/ feeding since I try to feed only during the night. Please note that I've been incorporating Tap Training from the start to help differentiate between feeding time and handling.
    Minimal light is fine. At my old place, I kept my windows blacked out and the only time my snakes got light was when I was in the room with the light turned on at various times day/night. It shouldn't bother a boa.

If and when I decide to switch him to a new enclosure, is it recommended not to hold him until he's eaten 3 times?
    As long as he's eaten in the new enclosure, shouldn't be an issue.

Hope that helps!
    For the Horde!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (11-05-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I don't see any reason not to put him in the T10 if he's had a decent feeding response up to now. Usually once baby boas start eating they're little garbage disposals until they get into breeding mode, and even then many never go off food. I would try to minimize handling for a bit after the move to give him time to settle into his new home.

For the light on the timer were you thinking of putting one in the enclosure, or doing a lamp outside the enclosure to light up that part of the basement? I would probably do the latter, maybe some efficient LED lighting in the area where you keep your snakes.
    Thank you! He’s had a great feeding response ever since I got him. Dually noted on the handling suggestion.
    The T10 already has LED lighting installed. For the record, I only ever use the LED lights on my BP enclosure when I’m cleaning the cage or when I’m getting him out. My inquiry was more about training him to recognize day time as a time when he’s not going to get fed and vice versa. But maybe that’s achieved by my Tap training.
    Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    Minimal light is fine. At my old place, I kept my windows blacked out and the only time my snakes got light was when I was in the room with the light turned on at various times day/night. It shouldn't bother a boa.

As long as he's eaten in the new enclosure, shouldn't be an issue.

Hope that helps!
    This helps a lot April! Did you ever feel like there was an issue with your BOA differentiating between feeding and handling time based on the lighting or is that a bit of misconception?

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Personally my boas will eat day or night, in the dark or in the light, they don't care just so long as they get food. haha
    I don't handle snakes on feeding day and I do hook train my boas for handling/cleaning. I will also handle them at various times, night/day and never really noticed any difference in their attitude just so long as they understand 'i'm getting picked up'.
    For the Horde!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (11-06-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    Personally my boas will eat day or night, in the dark or in the light, they don't care just so long as they get food. haha
    I don't handle snakes on feeding day and I do hook train my boas for handling/cleaning. I will also handle them at various times, night/day and never really noticed any difference in their attitude just so long as they understand 'i'm getting picked up'.
    I get the impression that my boa will eat whenever offered which is a far cry from my BP. I'll continue to hook train as a means to let him know it's time to be handled. Thanks again April!

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

dakski (11-05-2018),richardhind1972 (11-06-2018)