Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,967

1 members and 2,966 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Temp help

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Could you compromise with your set up? For example, if you traded from what you have (not sure if he's in a tank or tub...) to a flatter tub, you could use 2 heat mats on a thermostat to maybe achieve more sustainable heat. Also, even the larger-sized under tank heaters seem to list a 24 watt use out of the box, and you would have to use a thermostat to regulate them which would mean less than 24 watt consumption. The tub would hold your ambient better even before insulating measures and if you had over-sized regulated heat pads covering the majority of the floor of the tub you can get pretty exact with the temps you want throughout your enclosure and still come up using less than the 75 watt bulb that's not quite cutting it.

Thanks

Re: Temp help

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Can you unplug something else? It's not fair to keep a pet if you can't keep it properly.
    Also a great reason to have equipment up and running and dialed in before bringing an animal home.

I own an old house with crappy electrical as well, so I get it... yet I make it work with 4 snakes in my snake room.
    Mate, I know, I'm trying. But I live in the city, so the electricity limit is pretty limited- and if ball pythons do fine with just heat lamps, as I've seen many times before, that's what I'm working with. I already fixed the cool side temperature. And the only things I do have plugged in is his lamp and Christmas lights for probably around 7-10 hours.
    Ive spent over 4 pay checks on him already for everything I needed to fix and I hardly had even enough money to spend on my own self. I know I seem like a bad owner, but jesus, I'm doing what I bloody can. But everything seems fixed now, ever since I got his moss for his humidity.

And listen, I'm sorry it seems like I went off. I'm just dealing with a lot right now and I'm recovering from a recent loss. I know you're trying to help and explain, but I apologize if I sound like a jerk right now
    My best friend is a cat.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Traceur For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (11-07-2018),turning_left (11-07-2018)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Traceur View Post
    Mate, I know, I'm trying. But I live in the city, so the electricity limit is pretty limited- and if ball pythons do fine with just heat lamps, as I've seen many times before, that's what I'm working with. I already fixed the cool side temperature. And the only things I do have plugged in is his lamp and Christmas lights for probably around 7-10 hours.
    Ive spent over 4 pay checks on him already for everything I needed to fix and I hardly had even enough money to spend on my own self. I know I seem like a bad owner, but jesus, I'm doing what I bloody can. But everything seems fixed now, ever since I got his moss for his humidity.

And listen, I'm sorry it seems like I went off. I'm just dealing with a lot right now and I'm recovering from a recent loss. I know you're trying to help and explain, but I apologize if I sound like a jerk right now
    No worries. I get it. I live on a tight budget too.

And I'm just trying to help, like you said. But if it were me, my snake would come before Xmas lights. A sick snake will put a serious dent in your budget.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    No worries. I get it. I live on a tight budget too.

And I'm just trying to help, like you said. But if it were me, my snake would come before Xmas lights. A sick snake will put a serious dent in your budget.
    The lights aren't for me, they are for him. I know they rely on day/night schedules and since I don't have the option to get him those day/night cycle lamps, I'm using outer sources for his light. Those Christmas lights are his day time light and I have battery controlled dim lights that barely give off any light as his night lights. It seems stupid I know, but he seems to somewhat go along with it.

Hes not really active as much as he used to be. He was always active and trying to escape, but I covered up his walls and got him another identical hide and now I don't really see him often.
    My best friend is a cat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Traceur View Post
    It's really easy to blow a circuit in the room he's in. I can't have him anywhere else because it's way too cold and open for the terrarium. But if I start plugging in things with all these watts, the power will literally go out in his room. So I have to work with what I have. Hence why I'm doing what I can to fulfill his needs with having a bulb
    Not related to helping with the BP but... you shouldn't be able to trip a breaker that easy. Minimum should be 10 amp breakers but usually there's 15 amp breakers. If there's something causing the breaker to trip it could be dangerous and start a fire. Might be worth testing things or having an electrician check things out.

Just trying to make sure you're safe so don't take this the wrong way. Hope you get the temps set up correctly. Be careful/ safe with the electrical side of things.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SquirmyPug For This Useful Post:

cfd701 (11-07-2018)

Account Disabled
    Thanks
    Just curious here, not throwing stones, but how dark is the room during the day? I don’t see the need for the Christmas lights if your getting daylight anyways. Other than an indication of day and night they don’t need much else. I just think having a light during the day gets played on a little to heavily. My snakes have led lights but I only use them when their tank is dark usually in the evening. I may need to see in the tank at those times hence the lights. Otherwise the daylight in the room is sufficient.
    My thought is the heat would be my primary concern and then the light if that indeed is an issue. I realize your giving your all and I don’t want to squash your spirits but maybe the lights are not as important here as the temperatures. My snakes generally hide all day when it’s light out so just a thought.
    BP’s get the vitamins they need from prey other than sunlight like other snakes that do require specific lights. Breeders keep them in tubs that most likely only get a glimpse of light through a crack on top of their bin.
    Last edited by Jakethesnake69; 11-07-2018 at 02:01 PM. Reason: another thought

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jakethesnake69 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (11-07-2018),Traceur (11-07-2018)

Thanks
    I keep mine in my room which is downstairs and it gets pretty chilly as I'm in Utah. I had to use a CHE, and a UTH. I had a heat lamp that I got from the previous owner but it didn't put out quite enough heat. I've also started to run a small space heater at night to bump it up the last few needed degrees now that night temps are so cold. For light I just open the blinds while I'm at work for the day. Ambient light from a window should be plenty. Your breaker shouldn't be tripping that easily though. You may have to move the tank or run an extension cord from a plug on a different circuit. Not ideal but will work. I agree with Jake though about getting the temps straightened out first. As said by the others you'll definitely want to make sure all heat sources are regulated. I left my UTH plugged in straight to the wall to see how hot it would get out of curiosity. It was at 107 degrees and rising when I shut it off.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Helonwheelz383 For This Useful Post:

cfd701 (11-07-2018),Traceur (11-07-2018)

Thanks

An easy way to calculate how many amps your using is 1 amp for every 100 Watts. You most likely have a 15 amp circuit so you could literally plug 15 100 watt lightbulbs in and still be good. Its really .833333 amps for every 100 watts but if you use the 1 to 100 you can't go wrong.
    Last edited by cfd701; 11-07-2018 at 05:03 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cfd701 For This Useful Post:

Traceur (11-07-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts
    I agree with Jakethesnake. My snakes don't have lights, only natural light from a window. Now, if you have them in a dark room with no window then that's another story. Good luck, dialing in this things are a pain but you'll get the hang of it.
    1.0 Freddy -Python Regius
    Darby -Boa Imperator
    Kenny -Morelia Bredli
    La Reina -Lampropeltis Californiae
    1.0 Luciano -Drymarchon Melanurus Unicolor
    0.1 Macarena -Heterodon Nasicus Nasicus
    1.0 Hugo -Morelia Spilota Mcdowelli

Morelia Mafia For Life

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RickyNY For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (11-07-2018),Traceur (11-07-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jakethesnake69 View Post
    Just curious here, not throwing stones, but how dark is the room during the day? I don’t see the need for the Christmas lights if your getting daylight anyways. Other than an indication of day and night they don’t need much else. I just think having a light during the day gets played on a little to heavily. My snakes have led lights but I only use them when their tank is dark usually in the evening. I may need to see in the tank at those times hence the lights. Otherwise the daylight in the room is sufficient.
    My thought is the heat would be my primary concern and then the light if that indeed is an issue. I realize your giving your all and I don’t want to squash your spirits but maybe the lights are not as important here as the temperatures. My snakes generally hide all day when it’s light out so just a thought.
    BP’s get the vitamins they need from prey other than sunlight like other snakes that do require specific lights. Breeders keep them in tubs that most likely only get a glimpse of light through a crack on top of their bin.
    Its basically my room. So it's always dark. If you woke up, you probably wouldn't know if it was night or evening unless you checked the time. Sunlight never really reaches my room- before I got him, I had my room decorated with a lantern and Christmas lights (it looked like a tumblr room), but I rearranged it so it didn't require a lot of electricity- so it was best on my bill and the wattage limit in my room. So he has a strand setup near his terrarium, and of course he has his battery controlled lights. The lighting in my room basically relies on his cycle if anything
    My best friend is a cat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12