Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,648

2 members and 2,646 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 7 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Feliz - Venezuelan "Dwarf" BCC

Quote Originally Posted by caravaggiooo View Post
    ^ You're welcome! Honestly, if I'd known about these boas beforehand (and if they're even attainable in my country), I would've had a hard time settling on another snake. BCCs are so cool but they're way out of my size range, so I would've jumped at a dwarf variety! It's a pity they're so uncommon, but that makes them all the more special too.

The Complete Boa Constrictor is on my wishlist but I haven't been able to find one for a decent price here, I don't know if I ever will! If I owned it I would've known about Venezuelan BCCs already

Anyways I can't wait to see more progress pics of Feliz! If he's supposed to be looking dull now...
    Yeah, dull? Well, we will see as time goes on. If he stay anything close to this, I will be ecstatic. As mentioned, he was a hold back for coloration, so he should continue to look pretty good through adulthood.

The Complete Boa Constrictor is a great book. I saw it for $60 when it went out of print, but paid $100 shipped for it 2 weeks ago. I think prices keep going up. I actually talked to Vin Russo, the author, and he said it will probably only come back into print if he does a major update. It wasn't clear if there were plans for that.

Great book for breeding and for info on virtually every species out there.

I cannot give the book credit for finding Feliz. My buddy and fellow BP.net member, Phillydubs, had done a lot of research on Dwarf Boas and sent me Tommy and TC Reptile's info. Tommy brought up the Venezuelan True Red Tail BCC's to me and said he had two on holdback but was willing to sell one. He recommended Feliz and the Line/Locale to me when I said I wanted puppy dog tame and a personality similar to Behira, my BCI. He said this was the snake for me. When I saw how beautiful Feliz was and how rare, I couldn't resist. The book did back up what Tommy said about being hardy, thicker bodied, etc. Vin specifically mentions that like BCI's, these BCC's tend not to have regurgitation issues like many locale BCC's can. Tommy said humidity is also less of an issue for them. They are not as sensitive to having issues if humidity is a little low for a bit (if I am away for a few days in the winter and cannot spray to get it over 50-55% in tank). He said they shed great as well.

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    Feliz looks GREAT Dave! Nice unboxing video too sir. Looking forward to lots of pictures of this guy.
    Thank you EL-Ziggy. As stated earlier, pictures and descriptions do not do him justice.

Cool customer and handsome guy. What more could I want?

Thank you on the unboxing video. It was my first one. Glad it came out okay! Thank you for watching!

Dude, seriously? You need to encourage me to post pictures of him? Have you seen any of my other threads?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

caravaggiooo (11-06-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Love red tail boas. They are awesome and yours is not exception. In general they seam easy to work with. I think easier to care for than a BP. Just MO. Keep up the good work.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

dakski (11-07-2018)

BPnet Senior Member richardhind1972's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,173 Times in 3,204 Posts

Really loved the unboxing video,only just had chance to watch it, he is nice and toned , the bcc are a nice deep bodied boat, and his colour is great, like how chilled he was saying you just unboxed him
    Glad the Mrs to be liked him.
    Pure locality boas are pretty cool and have there own natural beauty, some like a bcc are better than a lot of morphs available

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by richardhind1972; 11-07-2018 at 04:10 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richardhind1972 View Post
    Really loved the unboxing video,only just had chance to watch it, he is nice and toned , the bcc are a nice deep bodied boat, and his colour is great, like how chilled he was saying you just unboxed him
    Glad the Mrs to be liked him.
    Pure locality boas are pretty cool and have there own natural beauty, some like a bcc are better than a lot of morphs available

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk
    Rich,

Thank you for watching the video. Relieved, but not surprised, Katie digs the little guy. She was surprised how small he is. Behira was a similar age but was over 400G and eating weaned rats, not mouse hoppers!

I still cannot get over the contrast and color! I lifted the warm hide to check temps today and hew as in there. Took a quick reading and covered him again and left him alone. Had to say, "WOW!" though when I saw him again.

He's incredibly chill - more on that in a post coming in a few minutes. However, he was more active later when Katie held him. Chill and docile, especially since he has not been handled much (comparatively, Behira had been handled often as that breeder spent a lot of time with each animal and she was a holdback as well, so he spent even more time with her).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (11-08-2018)

Thanks

Okay, so I think I did something stupid, twice, and was reluctant to share, especially since I had an inkling and ignored it. However, in thinking about it, and being dedicated to documenting important things with my animals here, and for the benefit of others' to learn from my mistakes, I feel compelled to share.

Last night, when Katie got home, she wanted to meet Feliz, and he had unloaded a big dump that needed cleaning. Since I had to clean his tank, I said she could hold him while I cleaned and should could meet him.

We open the tank (a small vision tank - V111 - 24"X12"X16") and pick up the warm hide. No Feliz. Okay, we pick up the cool hide. No Feliz. Okay, he must be under the paper. NO FELIZ! We both panic! Now, I know, there is no way he got out of that tank. It's not quite Boaphile escape proof, but it's 99% of the way there - conceivably a very strong animal could mess up the sliding glass doors or somehow dislodge the small screen vent in the back, etc.

There is small ledge on the top front of the tank, above the sliding doors, so I figure he climbed up on that. I was sort of right. I feel up there, but NO FELIZ.

I stick my head in the tank and look back at the front and I see him, barely, on that ledge, behind the darn RHP! He's got the front of his body over the back and he as in there as tight as can be. DARNIT!

I use the hook to try to gently persuade him to come out. What do I get? Hisses! Lots of hisses!

I realized quickly I had no choice but to remove the RHP. The RHP I had, and was a small unit that fit, seemingly perfectly in this tank. I thought there was no way he could get on the ledge on the side of it. I had drilled holes in the top of the tank and secured it with screws and nuts. I took out the screws, dropped the RHP gently, and gently got Feliz down. He's all bluff by the way. Once I had the RHP down he was more curious than angry. He let me get him off the ledge, although he did grab onto it a few times in the process with various parts of his body.

Before I put the RHP back, I stuffed the ledge with printless newspaper. I stuffed the hole between the ledge and RHP really tight as well as the entire ledge itself. No way he's getting in there now.

Okay, problem solved. I put the RHP back, clean his tank, he's no worse for the wear, Katie got to meet him and liked him a lot, and he goes back in to get some rest and stop causing trouble.

Flash forward to an hour later. I peek over to the tank to see if he's exploring as the light has gone out, and I see his head in the middle of the tank, coming down from the top of the tank! WHAT! Are you kidding me! WHAT ARE YOU EVEN HOLDING ONTO DUDE? I walk over to the tank, and the little munchkin has now managed to get behind the RHP on the other side! ARE YOU KIDDING ME! There was enough room on the other side for the power cable to squeeze out and the little red light that shows if the RHP is getting power! That's it!

It's so tight there, that if I try to take off the RHP, I am afraid I could crush him and hurt him or worse! Literally a centimeter or so of movement could be really bad.

So, I spend the next 20 minutes, gently, with my fingers, and the snake hook, coaxing him out (thank G-D he came out). No hissing this time. I think he was too proud of himself . Little PITA! Got him out and he's looking at me like, "Hey, new Dad! How do you like my climbing abilities? This tank is cool! I've lived in a tub my whole life! Boy, adventures are fun!"

So, I stuffed the back of the RHP with printless newspaper as well. LONG NIGHT! I of course stayed up for another hour (it was late by now) and watched him try to get up to those two spots. The best he could do was get his neck on the very corner of the ledge, pull himself up, and try to squeeze in, but to no avail. I was watching him and was thinking, "Dude, you have no leverage, and are barely hanging on, you are going to fall." 10 seconds later, THUMP! It only took one thump and he decided it wasn't worth it.

I was thrilled this morning when I checked temps and he was happily in his warm hide!

Now, I tried to be a little tongue and cheek when I wrote this. However, this could have been a bad situation. I've had molded tanks before and stuffed them with printless newspaper as well on virtually the same ledge. However, those tanks were much bigger, and the snake much smaller relative to the tank at the time. I was able to stay calm and put Feliz's safety first, and my anxiety, and displeasure with myself, second.

VERY IMPORTANT: IF YOU HAVE A MOLDED TANK, AND ARE PUTTING A SNAKE IN IT, EVEN IF IT LOOKS LIKE THEY CANNOT FIT INTO A TIGHT SPACE - BLOCK IT!

I knew this and thought I knew better. Nope, Feliz knew better. I was a fool in this situation. Do not make the mistake I made and put your snake at risk. Or, for that matter, yourself. I had a cool and calm customer, despite just arriving and being young. Have fun with a nippy sucker.

Again, if you have a molded tank, fill in the gaps and open spaces, even if they seem too tight!

Alternatively, get a better tank to start with (this is just a temporary quarantine tank I borrowed from a breeder friend). Luckily, his 4'X2'X1' Boaphile is on order and will be here soon. The RHP is flush with the side and back walls and there is literally nowhere to hide or squeeze in those tanks. Jeff Ronne is smarter than I am, or, at least, has more experience, if not both!

​Feliz Behind the RHP! Do you see much room?

[IMG][/IMG]

The gaps filled tight with crumbled up printless newspaper.

Back, as in previous picture.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Front, where the ledge is.

[IMG][/IMG]

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

richardhind1972 (11-08-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts
    Felicidades (You see what I did there? )
    1.0 Freddy -Python Regius
    Darby -Boa Imperator
    Kenny -Morelia Bredli
    La Reina -Lampropeltis Californiae
    1.0 Luciano -Drymarchon Melanurus Unicolor
    0.1 Macarena -Heterodon Nasicus Nasicus
    1.0 Hugo -Morelia Spilota Mcdowelli

Morelia Mafia For Life

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RickyNY For This Useful Post:

dakski (11-07-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 907 Posts

I feel your pain, Dave. Belle (lemon blast), Piper (pied), and Button (BEL) did essentially the same thing to me. I have Monster Cages, nice and square, no ledges. There is roughly an inch of space between my rhp and the back wall of the cage, which was left intentionally when I installed the rhp. The cord for the rhp goes straight out the back of the cage about 1/4 inch from the ceiling. In three years, none of my other snakes ever explored that gap or tried to get between the cord and the ceiling....including my corns which are known for being nosy. These three little monkeys have wedged themselves between the cord and the ceiling in each of their cages. My solution was to push more of the cord into the cage, creating a loop. Since there’s nothing to wedge against now, they don’t bother it as much, though all three occasionally take a turn climbing through the loop. There is nothing quite like the panic a keeper feels when you can’t find your snake in the enclosure where it ‘should’ be.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dianne For This Useful Post:

dakski (11-07-2018),richardhind1972 (11-08-2018)

Thanks

"Good morning world! I spent the past 24 hours in my warm hide. The lights came on this morning and I decided it's time to be brave and learn how to Boa. I stuck my head out of the hide to see what the world has to offer me today. Dad came over to look and I put my head back in my hide a little bit, but I stood my ground. He's not too scary. Besides, I am a Boa after all!"

[IMG][/IMG]

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (11-08-2018),Dianne (11-08-2018),richardhind1972 (11-08-2018),RickyNY (11-08-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    "Good morning world! I spent the past 24 hours in my warm hide. The lights came on this morning and I decided it's time to be brave and learn how to Boa. I stuck my head out of the hide to see what the world has to offer me today. Dad came over to look and I put my head back in my hide a little bit, but I stood my ground. He's not too scary. Besides, I am a Boa after all!"

[IMG][/IMG]
    What a beautiful pickup Dave!!! I never knew dwarf BCCs existed. I guess I skipped over that chapter in Russo's book

Your picture above is so 'BOA'..... my guy loves to just hang his head out of his hide unlike my BP who's rarely ever seen. I'm curious if BOAs need a tight fit hide like BPs or if I can get away with a combination of small and large hides. Congrats!! You have quite the collection my friend!
    Last edited by ckuhn003; 11-08-2018 at 11:40 AM.
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

dakski (11-08-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    What a beautiful pickup Dave!!! I never knew dwarf BCCs existed. I guess I skipped over that chapter in Russo's book

Your picture above is so 'BOA'..... my guy loves to just hang his head out of his hide unlike my BP who's rarely ever seen. I'm curious if BOAs need a tight fit hide like BPs or if I can get away with a combination of small and large hides. Congrats!! You have quite the collection my friend!
    Thanks ckuhn003. Yeah, he's gorgeous. I didn't know about dwarf BCC's until Tommy at TC Reptile told me. Then I looked in Vin's book, and sure enough, no chapter, but about 1 page on them. Page 263 in The Complete Boa Constrictor.

I have 3 good fit hides and one larger hide for Behira. She uses all of them. However, as you said, usually with her head, or more of her body, sticking out. Her bigger hide is not filled with paper towels as Shayna's (my BP) bigger hide is. She does not seem to mind. I'd hardly call that definitive scientific evidence, but it's at least one observation.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (11-08-2018),richardhind1972 (11-08-2018)

Page 7 of 52 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast