Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,825

0 members and 1,825 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Boa Cloaca - Normal or Something Going On

I’ve noticed this white object/coloration near my Boa’s Cloaca. I don’t know how long it’s been present but it’s been there as far as I can remember. Is this normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

Homebody (08-23-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    It would help if it wasn't blurry in the photos. Is there any lump or is it flat? Is her cloaca actually open? (very hard to tell in blurry photos, & the skin "inside" is going to be light like this.) White on a black boa is very noticeable & you said it's always been there, so I'm thinking it's most likely normal-

I've never had a black boa, but I used to have some MBKs (Mexican Black King snakes) & they had some minor imperfections as far as coloration (not on their cloaca but on their ventral side)- I'm guessing that's all this is on your snake. If there's any symptoms connected with this though (swelling, bleeding, abnormal behavior, bad odor, etc.) then ask your vet. (Do you have contact with the source-breeder of this snake? Ask them- it could easily be a genetic thing.)

That's a drop-dead beautiful snake, by the way.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-22-2023 at 07:13 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Boa Cloaca - Normal or Something Going On

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    It would help if it wasn't blurry in the photos. Is there any lump or is it flat? Is her cloaca actually open? (very hard to tell in blurry photos, & the skin "inside" is going to be light like this.) White on a black boa is very noticeable & you said it's always been there, so I'm thinking it's most likely normal-

I've never had a black boa, but I used to have some MBKs (Mexican Black King snakes) & they had some minor imperfections as far as coloration (not on their cloaca but on their ventral side)- I'm guessing that's all this is on your snake. If there's any symptoms connected with this though (swelling, bleeding, abnormal behavior, bad odor, etc.) then ask your vet. (Do you have contact with the source-breeder of this snake? Ask them- it could easily be a genetic thing.)

That's a drop-dead beautiful snake, by the way.
    Apologies for the blurriness. I'm not the best photo taker; especially when it comes to a moving snake There's definitely no lump. In fact, running your fingers down the area, you can't even tell it's there. It just looks odd since it bright white and looks like it's coming out of the cloaca area.

Good idea about reaching out to the breeder. I'll try and grab a better picture before that though. Thank you again for the response(s).
    1.0 Motley IMG BCI - (Venom)

1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

1.0 Boxer - (Knox)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    I think you'd have noticed this at the beginning, when you first got the snake, if it was there? I assume the scales themselves are normal (not missing)? So maybe this is like some of the other snakes that just have places that fade out (lose pigment) after a while? But I'd ask the breeder if at all possible- I'm betting it's normal (for this snake).
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-22-2023 at 07:51 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

BPnet Senior Member CloudtheBoa's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 620 Posts

Re: Boa Cloaca - Normal or Something Going On

Hopefully I’m not wrong…but just looks like a normal cloaca? The scale covering it can be a different color than the rest of the belly/tail. My normal’s cloaca scale was a salmon color as a baby. Idk about now. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    8.3 Boa imperator ('15 sunglow "Nymeria," '11 normal "Cloud," '16 anery motley "Crona," '10 ghost "Howl," '08 jungle "Dominika," '22 RC pastel hypo jungle "Aleister," '22 pastel normal "Gengar," '22 orangasm hypo "Daemon," '22 poss jungle "Jinzo," '22 poss jungle "Calcifer," '22 motley "Guin")
    1.4 Boa imperator; unnamed '22 hbs
    3.3 Plains garter snakes
    1.2 checkered garter snakes (unnamed)

~RIP~
    2.2 Brazilian rainbow boa ('15 Picasso stripe BRBs "Guin" and "Morzan, and '15 hypo "Homura", '14 normal "Sanji")
    1.0 garter snake ('13 albino checkered "Draco")
    1.0 eastern garter ('13 "Demigod)
    0.0.1 ball python ('06 "Bud")

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CloudtheBoa For This Useful Post:

ckuhn003 (08-23-2023),Homebody (08-23-2023)