Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,297

1 members and 3,296 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Creative items for ball python terrarium?

Hey all. So I’m actually basically brand new to snakes! And I just got my first one a couple months ago he is a mojave. Now tomorrow I am getting another one that’s about 5 months old! A BEL. Im so excited. This post is basically for me to ask, is there anything that ball pythons like to use/have in their tank not including the obvious items that come with starter kit? I have the 2 hides, leaves all over, small wooden cave, water dish and bedding. I want to add things to embelish their tanks and I don’t want to overdo it with leaves because I don’t know what else to use! Help! Lol even a decorative idea. I was thinking maybe a big decorative branch like you see in some tanks but I know my ball python doesn’t quite AT ALL climb in his branches like my boa does so I’m seeing if theres any better ideas first. Any suggestions would be great thanks!

Thanks
    Decorating an enclosure is more for you, however some things I know some balls in the past took an interest in:

Sticks, fat, skinny at the top, secure ones that won't fall if they climb onto them
    Logs for hiding and rubbing (not to be used as their main hides)
    Moss
    Plants, leafy coverage

They are really curious snakes tbh, anything you put in there they will check out and try to get into it, juts be sure it;s safe for them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Highyeena For This Useful Post:

jazchanlev (11-02-2018)

Thanks

Re: Creative items for ball python terrarium?

That’s actually another question I had is if a python would climb a branch if I put one in that was thick enough to hold his weight? I think that’s what I will try

Thanks

Just be careful, nothing too long or flimsy. A nice fat one with some places to rest their head is plenty, plus they don't climb, balls stick to the ground.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Highyeena For This Useful Post:

jazchanlev (11-03-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 602 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jazchanlev View Post
    That’s actually another question I had is if a python would climb a branch if I put one in that was thick enough to hold his weight? I think that’s what I will try
    Some images of my BP climbing:

She's got a coil flung over a branch in her enclosure right now, so she's not stopping anytime soon.
    0.1 Red Axanthic P. regius | Mazikeen
    E. climacophora | Lan Fan
    C. paulsoni | Inej

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Starscream For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-03-2018),Dianne (11-02-2018),jazchanlev (11-03-2018),Luvyna (02-23-2019),MissterDog (11-02-2018),octo_owl (02-24-2019)

Thanks
    Let me retract my statement, my apologies, they do 'climb', males in the wild are known for climbing to catch birds. However depending on your set up being careful is best, as they get older and develop they can be quite the climbers, but always remember to keep an eye on them.

I didn't mean to come off as "No, no climbing at all, they get only hides and a water dish and should be grateful!" I am 100% supportive of giving great stimulation in enclosures. What I meant to say was, "Just don't pick any old stick off the ground and toss it in there, something thick and good for holding onto would do wonders."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Highyeena For This Useful Post:

Dianne (02-23-2019)

Thanks
    My bp really likes to dig (like alot hahah) and mine likes to soak and he likes going thu my har so i would think they like to go thru plants as well

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jasmijn For This Useful Post:

jazchanlev (11-03-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmijn View Post
    My bp really likes to dig (like alot hahah) and mine likes to soak and he likes going thu my har so i would think they like to go thru plants as well
    He would enjoy a "humid hide" filled with damp sphagnum moss, & it will help keep the humidity up so he sheds well too. The earthy scent of moist moss is clearly
    enticing to many snakes, not just BPs. For a humid hide, you can buy large enough food storage container, or even modify a clean plastic gallon jug (as long as it's
    only held something harmless like white vinegar, never re-use a bleach or detergent bottle...never!); either way, cut a big enough doorway into the plastic, & install
    the moss...fill with water & let soak, then pore off all the excess water (on your plants outside).

As far as adding creative things to snake enclosures, always think SAFETY first: never use anything with a hole big enough for a snake to get stuck in, because they
    will. (In the wild they get stuck & die from bird netting/chicken wire used in gardens, because they think they can go thru & try, but get stuck midway & with directional
    scales, cannot back out.) Don't use those molded decor (castles & such) sold for aquarium/fish use, as they often have very sharp projections left inside that don't
    bother fish but will cut up your snake that tries to snuggle inside. Cholla logs (often sold in pet stores) are also dangerous & not suitable.

I'm a fan of using branches also, diagonally from corner to corner, so they don't slip. They are easily zip-tied or wired together as needed too.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-03-2018 at 12:40 PM.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

distaff (11-03-2018),gunkle (03-18-2019),Jasmijn (02-23-2019),jazchanlev (11-03-2018),Luvyna (02-23-2019)

Thanks
    Nice ideas! my snake does have a humid hide with spagnum moss, his humidity is always good so I don’t know why he likes soaking/swimming so much. I wonder if it’s bad if i put him in a larger tub every so often with a bit of warmish water he can swim in? Maybe he thinks he’s a water snake who knows i have (ofcourse safe) sticks in my terrarium too now which he uses alot

Thanks
    I've been wondering about this too, great thread and suggestions above! I really want to get my BP something to climb because I have seen him climb before and it seems like he is great at it. I've been on the hunt for some good branches but it's tough since most seem to be too unstable for climbing. I do like the look of the pipes and ladder that Starscream posted though! Might just have to try that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast