Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,049

1 members and 1,048 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation Really sick ball python “URGENT”

I want to preface this by saying I’m new into the reptile business and although I understand the basics of np care I don’t understand advanced situations.

Anyways my friend and I recently went to an expo and she bought her first bp. Based on his sized id say he is roughly 2-3 months old give or take. This was 4 days ago and he’s been acting fine until now and I don’t know how to handle the situation at hand. Starting off when we walked into her house yesterday her bp had a mouthful of it’s substrate it is aspen chips I believe it’s what my local snake store recommended as it’s what their favorite substrate is. (Will post exact brand once home) we came in and he was pearched against the wall of his tank with his head cocked back and again to make it clear his mouth was completely full of the shavings all the way down into his throat aswell. We cleaned him out as gently as possible and though it was worrying is we assumed maybe it was a freak accident. We took him out of his own into a separate container to get him away from the substrate. We went to the store to let him calm down considering we had to remove shavings he was not happy. Anyways we got back and he seemed fine acting normal so we put him in his pen again but removed the shavings and put paper towels in with him to suffice until we figured out what was up. We started to put groceries away and heard a noise so we turned around and he was thrashing and I mean thrashing kind of like he was having a seizure. He started doing death rolls and eventually made it to his water bowl where he stuck his head under and began to strike underwater. I pulled him out and he bag to strike at me which was uncommon for this snake because he was a huge sweetheart. He kept pulling his head back aswell like up to the point it was touching his back. At this point he’s still alive but seems to not be able to move. I reviewed several sites and haven’t found anything to this extent if anyone can help please do. My personal opinion is either ibd if balls can even contract it or severe neurological damage which I have no clue where he would’ve got it from.

Thanks
    Vets is all I can say asap.
    1.0 75% SD retic .... 6ft Hector cb17 1.1kg
    0.1 coastal X ij carpet... Hielo cb15 8kg

1.1 crested gecko Vinnie + Mable

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin83 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-02-2018),pbenner (11-02-2018)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    This snake needs to get to a Vet, TODAY. That's 110% your best bet.

Paul

5. The Following User Says Thank You to pbenner For This Useful Post:

Jasmijn (11-02-2018)

Thanks
    good that you took the substrate out, they can get constipation from it.. double check your temperatures and humidity, and provide a hide so he can feel safe if you don't have that already. I was going to say he might just be extremely hungry since hes eating the substrate but then i read that he was thrashing around and now unable to move so i dont know if it would be safe to feed the snake right now.. maybe he has a neurological problem but without seeing the snake in person noone in the forum will be able to tell you for 100% sure what he has so i would take him to an exotic vet ASAP!!!

Thanks
    let us know what the vet says, hope your snake gets better soon!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts

Re: Really sick ball python “URGENT”

Quote Originally Posted by Justin83 View Post
    Vets is all I can say asap.
    Absolutely this ^ ^ ^ ^ ^. Seriously ill (NOT a "do it yourself issue"), I hope he makes it. Do let us know what vet says?
    What Expo was he purchased from? (where?) thanks
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-02-2018 at 02:34 PM.

Thanks

Re: Really sick ball python “URGENT”

Do not delay. If you can, find a vet skilled in reptile care. But if you can't, any vet will have to do. It may be something simple and easily fixed. It may not.

Your snake can't help himself. It's up to you.

Good luck!!!

<><Peace
    5.1 "chitlins"
    0.0.2 Royal Pythons
    0.1 German Shepherds
    6.0 black short-haired cats
    1.0 long-haired grey tabby cat
    1.1 grey short-haired "ding-bat" kittens
    0.2 black long-haired cats

Thanks
    How are your temps? Are your heat sources regulated? I’ve seen snakes exhibit sudden behaviours like this when the temps are way too high.
    Last edited by silverbill; 11-02-2018 at 04:46 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    No one here can truly help you with this, I'm afraid. Its all a wild guessing game.

With symptoms that severe, most likely there is great damage going on. Its true, being subjected to high temperatures can cause neurological damage. But usually the entire enclosure would have to be very hot.
    This heat neuro damage usually happens during shipping with to many heat packs, or left in a small container in a hot car, the sun, etc etc.

Being around a toxin can also cause these severe issues. Have you sprayed some kind of bug spray ? Carpet cleaner ? Some other chemical odors from renovations, etc ?

It seems odd that he went from apparently fine to so severe. Even the mouth full of Aspen is weird. They usually do not just up and swallow it. They may get some in their mouth during feeding or a feeding strike error, but not just "because". Seems like he already had some kind of seizures that made him thrash open mouthed and that is how he got the substrate in his mouth.

The thrashing afterward could be another seizure of some sort, or perhaps some damage from the Aspen, a piece lodged in the breathing aparatus, or puncturing somewhere internally.

Its bad, though, real bad.

Make sure there are NO chemicals of any kind in the air, not from anything. If so, remove the snake asap. Make sure there are no bug / mite treatments in the cage, or on the snake. If so, gently wash him off, then put him somewhere dark on clean paper towels. Keep him super quiet and dark.

All this should be done while waiting on to go to the Vet, which should be done ASAP.

Doesn't sound very hopeful, though, but then again, hope dies last.

Let us know how the poor little thing does..
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (11-02-2018),dadofsix (11-02-2018),Jakethesnake69 (11-02-2018),MissterDog (11-02-2018)

Thanks

Unhappy Re: Really sick ball python “URGENT”

It is with a heavy heart that I must tell you all he passed away. We could not get him to a vet in time due to no one accepting reptiles that we could find. I plan to answer a few questions asked in the comments.

First questions about heat, humidity they were perfec I monitor my bp’s tiger and Lilly very closely and advised my friend to do the same. That’s the first thing I did when I got to her house and they were perfect to the care sheet on this site.

Second toxicity, nothing was used in the immediate or near vicinity to the bp

Third we acquired the snake from the tristate exotic animal expo in Saint Albans, WV on this most recent Sunday as for which/who the vender was we’re not sure.

Fourth the exact brand brand was “zoomed reptichips aspen shavings” which I have my two bps on.

Lastly I want to state that he was a normal and as far as I know they don’t gentically carry nuero issues.

I disinfected the area area around where he was (after he passed) and have since done that with my two in the chance that it was a viral bacterial cause using dawn dish soap I’m very minimal amounts to avoid hurting my bp’s. You guys will see my two here and there on the site because they’re big cuddle bugs.

Thanks to all that replied and if and if anyone finds out anything please post her so that if anyone else encounters this issue they will know what to be expecting and I shall do the same. Thanks again guys you all are a great community glad to be here even in these dark times....

Kyle.
    Last edited by TotalTacktive; 11-02-2018 at 05:41 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TotalTacktive For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-02-2018),Craiga 01453 (11-02-2018)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast