Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,972

2 members and 1,970 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Question about rack system/bins/ totes

So heres my questions. Im looking tk transfer my ball python from its massive glass enclosure due to temps and humidity levels constantly being messed with. Im thinking of getting a container from lets say walmart. Now would i be able to just use heat cable or heating pad underneath the container and ditch the lights?. Im also considering adopting a ball python from a reptile store. I know I'd have to quarantine it in a different room from the other one. Also if i got a container can they spend the rest of there lives in there i would want to get one that it cpuld spend the rest of its life in. So what size would i need?. Any advice at all would be appreciated

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    A rack designed for 41 quart under-bed storage tubs works nicely for housing adult ball pythons once they've cleared quarantine.

For quarantining single snakes, the Sterilite-style "latch box" tubs work well since they have secure lids. You would just have to get one appropriately-sized for the new arrival.

Heat is provided with an under-tank heater that is regulated by a thermostat. If your room is particularly cold you can use two UTH's, one set for 90-92*F, the other at 80-82*F.
    Last edited by bcr229; 11-02-2018 at 01:52 PM.

Thanks
    if you have a big tub they can live in there for the rest of their lives however my opinion would be to just fix the temperature and humidity in your (likely bigger then a plastic tub) glass tank. you can increase humidity with using spagnum moss and reptibark bedding and/or misting. for temperature you can get an extra heat source (uth or lamp) if you do decide to use plastic tubs however you can ditch the lights but make sure they are not constantly in the complete darkness so they can have somewhat of a day/night scedule

Thanks

Re: Question about rack system/bins/ totes

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    A rack designed for 41 quart under-bed storage tubs works nicely for housing adult ball pythons once they've cleared quarantine.

For quarantining single snakes, the Sterilite-style "latch box" tubs work well since they have secure lids. You would just have to get one appropriately-sized for the new arrival.

Heat is provided with an under-tank heater that is regulated by a thermostat. If your room is particularly cold you can use two UTH's, one set for 90-92*F, the other at 80-82*F.
    Thank you. I ended up getting 2 50qt sterlite containers that latch with lid i will eventually build a lid. Im only going to have the 2 and the others seemed to tall or too small. This one measures 32 1/8L" 19 1/8" wide and 7" H. Going to set them up tonight

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jasmijn View Post
    if you have a big tub they can live in there for the rest of their lives however my opinion would be to just fix the temperature and humidity in your (likely bigger then a plastic tub) glass tank. you can increase humidity with using spagnum moss and reptibark bedding and/or misting. for temperature you can get an extra heat source (uth or lamp) if you do decide to use plastic tubs however you can ditch the lights but make sure they are not constantly in the complete darkness so they can have somewhat of a day/night scedule
    The tank i have already runs with 2 lights the problem is its 25" high 22" wide 54" long its massive and takes alot of crap to take care of and its a pain to clean too

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan_ View Post
    Thank you. I ended up getting 2 50qt sterlite containers that latch with lid i will eventually build a lid. Im only going to have the 2 and the others seemed to tall or too small. This one measures 32 1/8L" 19 1/8" wide and 7" H. Going to set them up tonight

Are these big enough for there entire lives?. Or do adults need bigger?

Thanks

The tank i have already runs with 2 lights the problem is its 25" high 22" wide 54" long its massive and takes alot of crap to take care of and its a pain to clean too

makes sense then that's really big

Thanks

Are these big enough for there entire lives?. Or do adults need bigger?

I meant eventually build a rack not lid. Lol

Thanks

Wow i keep messing up today on my post sorry.

Thanks

Anyways i just need to know if 32 1/8"L 19 1/8W 7"H is big enough to last there life?