Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,801

0 members and 2,801 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Question Humidity Question

We have had our girl for about a month now (hatch date 7/21/18) and have had trouble with getting her humidity up to adequate percentage. We have a glass habitat with a screen top. At first, the humidity seemed very low and Dembe had a bad first shed so we moved her water bowl closer to undertank heat pad (since she NEVER goes to warm side) and got a hygrometer. The hygrometer confirmed our suspicions that humidity was low (45%) so we put clear plastic over most of the top and it raised the humidity to 67%.

My question is....What humidity level does everyone keep their tanks at? What is too humid? What is too low? I read that it is good to raise humidity right before shedding but doesnt higher humidity levels bring concern for respiratory issues?

I am a new snake owner but I love my girl and I want to the best for her.

Thanks

DumerilDembe
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Dembe)
    1.0 Chiweenie (Dexter)
    1.0 ChiPin (Milo)

Thanks

Re: Humidity Question

I am adding something. So Dembe ended up climbing up to plastic and used it as a hammock last night. We went to remove her from it for her safety and she striked at my daughter. This is very uncharacteristic of her but I figure she felt cornered and was being defensive.

We ended up taking down the plastic (again for her safety) and now humidity is 52%. Is this ok? Any suggestions?
    1.0 Chiweenie (Dexter)
    1.0 ChiPin (Milo)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I am assuming this post is for your dumeril boa. I have one of my own as well.

Dums care is similar to a ball python but they are considerate a step up (intermediate level) of bp. Meaning they require at least 60% humidity at all times. Unlike the bp, imo not a beginner level either but easier than dums, dums are shy, picky little dudes especially when it comes to feeding so getting everything right at all times is a priority. Hence, they do best starting out in tubs or even staying in them because tubs maintain, without work, a level of at least 60% humidity. Glass tanks are notoriously difficult to keep at that level.

If you wish to keep using your glass tank, use eco earth coco fiber (The bag ones) or jungle mix substrate mixed with sphagnum moss helps with humidity. Substrate should be at least 3-4 inches high as dums are ambush predators and feels most at home hiding deep within the substrate. You can also add 2 hides, one on the hot side and the other on the cool side. More than likely, it will not use them if it has enough substrate to dig. If you decide to go tub, I would recommend aspen instead.

Cover half the mesh lid with a towel, preferably wet towel.

If you must use CHE or lights for heat, you will need to cover half the lid with plexiglass.

If you maintain 60% humidity, you can upp it by misting the tank during shedding. Most likely, if your humidity is good, he should shed in one piece on his own.

Your hot temps should be about 83-85F. Your heat source should be controlled but a t-stat. In contrast to what many may say, dums prefer cooler temps.

Dums may come from an area that receives little rain but keep in mind, in the wild, they dig themselves into the soil, leaves etc... Waiting for prey. In that soil, it is much cooler and damp (Hence the humidity requirement).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cheesenugget For This Useful Post:

DumerilDembe (11-02-2018)

Thanks

Re: Humidity Question

UPDATE

Dembe was in the blue last week and so we increased her humidity by misting and her shed was perfect!!! It appears we have a swimmer too. She loves her water bowl and will sit in it preshed or after shed I am going to stop stressing over it because it just appears that she likes the water.
    1.0 Chiweenie (Dexter)
    1.0 ChiPin (Milo)