Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,855

2 members and 2,853 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Breeding in vivariums instead of racks

Hi all.

Firstly, I want to say I have never bred my snakes before. I am looking to breed my 5 year old male bumblebee (1200 grams) with my 3.5 year old female lesser (2100 grams).
    Currently, my snakes are in vivariums, have been for over 3 years. My female is an excellent feeder and has NEVER missed a feed (she's an Angel!). The male is a picky feeder but still eats.

I have previously seen copulating behaviour between the two when the snakes have been outside of the vivariums (exploring the room). Female has wagged her tail at him but I have separated them as I was not ready to breed.

I have just started to introduce the male to the female in the vivarium. But I have so far seen no copulating behaviour, in fact the female seems completely disinterested. Husbandry is fine, and the vivariums are largely decorated with plants, hides etc.

My question is, has anyone had any experience breeding in wooden vivariums instead of tubs? Is it possible that there are too many distractions in the vivarium? Or that they feel too exposed with the glass front? At the moment the male is trying to get into her hide but she is not having any of it.

I would really appreciate any advice. I am also feeling nervous about leaving them on their own, either when I am out of the house or over night. Does anyone have any advice to get over these newbie breeder insecurities?

Thanks

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Breeding in vivariums instead of racks

I have some males/females that will only mate in the winter.
    I have some males/females that will only mate in a thunderstorm.
    I have some males/females that will only lock for 15 minutes at a time---at night.
    I have some males that will only mate if I pair 2 males together and let them measure each other up for an hour or two (supervised of course).
    I have some males that will only mate if I take the shed skins from other males and throw them in the females enclosure.

I don't think a well decorated Wooden Vivarium is very high on the list of reasons why they would not mate.

I usually pair male/female up for 3 days at a time (unless I see a lock). Sometimes there is a squabble, but, they usually mellow out in a few hours.
    If you made the mistake of leaving 2 males paired up overnight: you could have some issues...otherwise no worries.
    *.* TNTC

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

distaff (11-01-2018)