Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,330

2 members and 3,328 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: New Habits?

Thanks

New Habits?

I recently upgraded my three year old male from a 20long to a 40 breeder. (Though the Breeder I got him from said the 20long would be fine and was a bigger space than he had him in.) I decided that worst case scenario, if he doesn't like it, I'd move Loki back to the 20 and turn the 40 into a fish tank. I found the 40B for sale for $20 so I really didn't have anything to lose regardless.
    Now at first he was not happy about it, he spent a solid 48 hours hiding in one of his hides. Not moving. I did let him settle for a week, just unsure if he would need the time to resettle. Loki has always been a calmer snake, not really active more than happy to just hang out with you. Very slow moving, until he's hungry. Then he'd slither laps around his tank and nudge the lid.
    NOW, since he's in the larger tank he is definitely more active. He seems to want to play more and seems to like exploring more. He isn't as shy about his space, used to be he'd only come out if the light was off. Now he doesn't care if my light is on or if I'm watching or movie. He's happily out.
    Is this normal for behavior to change? Was I somehow stifling him before? Other than when I first moved him, he's shown no signs of stress. He didn't skip his meal the week he was moved or anything. I just kind of feel like I was somehow neglecting him. I got Loki at the end of July and I upgraded him on Oct 22nd. I'm a first time Ball Python owner and I'm constantly worrying.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts
    If he didn't skip his meal AND he's out exploring, I'd say he's liking his new castle...

Perhaps BPs are "pet rocks" because they don't have a choice and when they don't have space to explore?

It would be nice if snakes could talk & SAY what they like...it's quite possible that some ARE stressed by larger cages, & others are stressed by close quarters.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-01-2018 at 12:16 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Crowfingers (11-01-2018),mischiefneko (11-01-2018)

Thanks

Re: New Habits?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    If he didn't skip his meal AND he's out exploring, I'd say he's liking his new castle...

Perhaps BPs are "pet rocks" because they don't have a choice and when they don't have space to explore?

It would be nice if snakes could talk & SAY what they like...it's quite possible that some ARE stressed by larger cages, & others are stressed by close quarters.
    Loki has yet to miss a meal with me. I just sometimes delay a meal until after he sheds. Even now in early November he hasn't yet fasted or shown me any sign of not being interested in food.
    The breeder kept his snakes in a rack system, so I get the feeling if I moved him from a rack smaller than a 20L, straight to the 40.... I get the feeling he would've been super scared. I doubt he would have moved. As is having to adapt to a tank and seeing the outside world. It took him almost two weeks to get used to the 20L tank.
    But that's why I thought I'd ask, he isn't showing signs of stress. So I would think he was happy, but I've never had a pet's behavior change so drastically.
    (Though now I run into the problem of having so much space to decorate but not knowing what to get! )
    Last edited by mischiefneko; 11-01-2018 at 03:54 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts

New Habits?

I doubt you were stifling him and now he happily wants to play.

It's not in their DNA to want to play. IF the husbandry is correct (heat and humidity) then there is nothing worrisome at all about a Ball Python rarely to be seen. I worry more about the ones that are out and about despite good husbandry and eating.

New spaces and big spaces can be stressful to a BP. Esp. if they were in another enclosure for quite a while. That doesn't mean they won't eat. Most will not...but some do. Even when they are still not really comfortable and haven't settled down yet.

There is a great paper out there and documentary. Hard to find now. But it was a group of researchers that went deep into the wild. Really roughing it. To find and study BP's in their natural habitat. Not the ones near civilization that may have altered behaviors, much like our foxes and other wildlife that have moved into and are thriving in our cities.

In the wild most BP's were hidden. In old termite mounds. In rodent burrows. And yes..up trees too. Usually in tree hollows. Just another tight and dark hide. They actually come from arid areas, but the places they spend most of their time in, the hides, have higher humidity.

Of course they move sometimes. They are opportunistic hunters. They stay in their hides and wait for prey to come near. Eventually they have to pass urine or waste. That smell warns prey off. So the snake has to move to find a new hide.

They move to water. They travel during breeding season to find a mate.

But most of the time, they spend in a dark tight space and seem contend to do so. One has to always keep in mind the species and their unique needs.

Some snake species hunt, cover wide areas. Climb often and well, aren't shy, move during the day, etc etc. Ball Pythons are not like that.

All that said, of course you will have some that are more or less stressed, more or less curious. More or less comfortable with handling or a new enclosure.

A new place is stressful though. But sometimes that needs to be done, every time we get a new snake they have to go through that. They will get over it, as long as the husbandry is correct and you provide them with their most basic need. A lot of privacy. Not so open and exposed.

Your baby is eating. He will get used to his new space soon enough and settle down. So do not worry about it when he becomes more scarce again. Perfectly normal, and you did nothing wrong with the 20 g. either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by zina10; 11-01-2018 at 04:30 PM.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

mischiefneko (11-07-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zina10 View Post
    I doubt you were stifling him and now he happily wants to play.

It's not in their DNA to want to play. IF the husbandry is correct (heat and humidity) then there is nothing worrisome at all about a Ball Python rarely to be seen. I worry more about the ones that are out and about despite good husbandry and eating.

New spaces and big spaces can be stressful to a BP. Esp. if they were in another enclosure for quite a while. That doesn't mean they won't eat. Most will not...but some do. Even when they are still not really comfortable and haven't settled down yet.

There is a great paper out there and documentary. Hard to find now. But it was a group of researchers that went deep into the wild. Really roughing it. To find and study BP's in their natural habitat. Not the ones near civilization that may have altered behaviors, much like our foxes and other wildlife that have moved into and are thriving in our cities.

In the wild most BP's were hidden. In old termite mounds. In rodent burrows. And yes..up trees too. Usually in tree hollows. Just another tight and dark hide. They actually come from arid areas, but the places they spend most of their time in, the hides, have higher humidity.

Of course they move sometimes. They are opportunistic hunters. They stay in their hides and wait for prey to come near. Eventually they have to pass urine or waste. That smell warns prey off. So the snake has to move to find a new hide.

They move to water. They travel during breeding season to find a mate.

But most of the time, they spend in a dark tight space and seem contend to do so. One has to always keep in mind the species and their unique needs.

Some snake species hunt, cover wide areas. Climb often and well, aren't shy, move during the day, etc etc. Ball Pythons are not like that.

All that said, of course you will have some that are more or less stressed, more or less curious. More or less comfortable with handling or a new enclosure.

A new place is stressful though. But sometimes that needs to be done, every time we get a new snake they have to go through that. They will get over it, as long as the husbandry is correct and you provide them with their most basic need. A lot of privacy. Not so open and exposed.

Your baby is eating. He will get used to his new space soon enough and settle down. So do not worry about it when he becomes more scarce again. Perfectly normal, and you did nothing wrong with the 20 g. either

Do you happen to know what the title of the paper and documentaries are? I would love to try to track them down!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ourdivineadventure For This Useful Post:

zina10 (11-01-2018)

Thanks

I'm not at home right now. I'm pretty sure I kept Screenshots of the papers but couldn't find the DVD for sale.

The movie got some bad reviews but those were based on the quality of the filming. It's not movie quality. The team was really roughing it, I think they mentioned that they didn't even get showers most of the time. It wasn't high tech.

I will try to find out more later..

Zina

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Thanks

Here is a link. Says not available at this time, though

https://www.amazon.com/Ball-Pythons-.../dp/B000A8G1QY

Zina