Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 915

1 members and 914 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Feeding questions. Let's take 1 animal at a time.

1. The dwarf bow I rescued. She has eaten successful every week for 4 to 5 feedings and last 2 feedings was a medium rat. Healing nicely from her burns and is cleared by the vet. Should I give a large rat next week and make her wait 14 days to get her adjusted to proper feeding schedule?

2. Shiva..... 1 year old 1k grams female BP. Has not eaten in 4 weeks. She was very interested then realized it was not moving and was like... Nope and layer on it. Been that way for about an hour. Should I offer smaller live a couple of feedings? No change in husbandry and season is only change.

3. Monty.... Male reticulated python 9 months old. 5 feet about the diameter of a golf ball. He swallowed a large rat and is flipping everything over asking for more. I think he is OK and should not be a issue health wise with weekly feedings large rat? Just greedy?

4. Max.... Baby BCI..... Weekly feedings adult mouse. To small for rats so far 187 grams 12 to 16 inches long. Feed him 2 adult mice or try to offer pinky rat little larger? When to move to 14 day feeding? Never is hunting but always accepting of food.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Re: Feeding questions. Let's take 1 animal at a time.

I don't have answers for #1-3, but generally you don't feed baby boas that much food. I have a 185g male BCI he is eating hoppers till he is 6 months per the best guides I've found for slow growing boas. He'll get adult mice for 6 months starting Dec, every 7 days. At 1 year, he will move to weaned rats for 6 months, I can't recall off-hand if that's the first move to 14 days or if it is after.

From my research, this is the feeding guide I'm following. I put it together myself for my male BVI, so I don't know how well it applies for the adult end for females or for BCC.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pretends2bnormal; 10-31-2018 at 08:25 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    I don't have answers for #1-3, but generally you don't feed baby boas that much food. I have a 185g male BCI he is eating hoppers till he is 6 months per the best guides I've found for slow growing boas. He'll get adult mice for 6 months starting Dec, every 7 days. At 1 year, he will move to weaned rats for 6 months, I can't recall off-hand if that's the first move to 14 days or if it is after.

From my research, this is the feeding guide I'm following. I put it together myself for my male BVI, so I don't know how well it applies for the adult end for females or for BCC.

He is 10 months if the info I was given correct. Thanks for the info.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrivers View Post
    He is 10 months if the info I was given correct. Thanks for the info.

Cool, I saw "baby" and figured he was a summer baby 2018 like mine (5 months old now). Adult mice should be good, then. Might just be he is not as food driven at his size/age? Can swap up to weaned rats in a month or two, but since he's under 200g I would probably wait on that.

Mine is always like this, buried in the substrate somewhere with his head by the door:

Thanks

Yep buried and tunnels. Pops up for food.
    Quote Originally Posted by pretends2bnormal View Post
    Cool, I saw "baby" and figured he was a summer baby 2018 like mine (5 months old now). Adult mice should be good, then. Might just be he is not as food driven at his size/age? Can swap up to weaned rats in a month or two, but since he's under 200g I would probably wait on that.

Mine is always like this, buried in the substrate somewhere with his head by the door:

Thanks

#4 has been resolved. Anyone else with advice to give?

1. The dwarf bow I rescued. She has eaten successful every week for 4 to 5 feedings and last 2 feedings was a medium rat. Healing nicely from her burns and is cleared by the vet. Should I give a large rat next week and make her wait 14 days to get her adjusted to proper feeding schedule?

2. Shiva..... 1 year old 1k grams female BP. Has not eaten in 4 weeks. She was very interested then realized it was not moving and was like... Nope and layer on it. Been that way for about an hour. Should I offer smaller live a couple of feedings? No change in husbandry and season is only change.

3. Monty.... Male reticulated python 9 months old. 5 feet about the diameter of a golf ball. He swallowed a large rat and is flipping everything over asking for more. I think he is OK and should not be a issue health wise with weekly feedings large rat? Just greedy?

4. Max.... Baby BCI..... Weekly feedings adult mouse. To small for rats so far 187 grams 12 to 16 inches long. Feed him 2 adult mice or try to offer pinky rat little larger? When to move to 14 day feeding? Never is hunting but always accepting of food.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    My non-dwarf boas on large rats eat every 3-4 weeks. I would put the weight back on yours slowly with a medium (or large-ish medium) every three weeks.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

RickyNY (11-01-2018)

Thanks

1. Keeping her on weekly feedings for another month or 2. Eating really well.

2. Shiva has eaten for me now. Crawler rat. Not interested in a larger meal at all. She could easily eat a large rat. Might be the weather change?

3. Talked to a breeder friend of mine about Monty. He is going nuts and striking at everything. The breeder suggested that he is getting ready for a growth spirt and super hungry. I will feed him again tonight to see if he calms down. I think it has to do with breeding season?

4. Max I think is right on track for biweekly feedings. Going to push him to 10 days and then 14 after a couple of months.

Please let me know what you guys think and offer advice if you can.