Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,088

2 members and 3,086 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Monty’s new substrate, feedback is welcome

Hi, my name is Matt and I’m the proud owner of my first snake, Monty the ball python!

So I have had him for nearly a year now and I’m always on a quest to improve his quality of life. Recently, Iv learn about retained eye caps and what they look like. I realized that he has had them since I got him and here’s what I’m doing to help.

I soaked him several times over the course of 3 days before I thought he would shed and it paid off. I checked over the long, singular piece of shed and saw that his eye caps did come off. However, he still has that black, crinkled skin over his eyes.

So now I’m using a new substrate. I bought the compacted coconut fiber expanding substrate by EcoEarth. On top of about an inch and a half of that stuff, there is 8 quarts of cypress mulch, plus some sphagnum moss to help.

So what I would like from you guys is general feedback on his setup, what I can do to make it better, and overall tips about maintaining proper humidity.

I am not interested in buy a whole new tank, so please don’t waste any time by saying I need a PVC or something.

Sorry for the long post, thank you all in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Your substrate sounds fine, I think you're on the right track...hopefully by keeping his humidity up his eyes might re-hydrate in time, or at least, not get worse.

You didn't mention using a hygrometer- you need one, preferably not a stick-on cheapy one. (they don't work well plus they come off & get stuck on the snake).

What are you using to heat the tank? UTH will push humidity from the substrate into the air (helpful!), while over-head CHE tends to dry out the cage. Depending
    on how warm or cool your house is (or the room his cage is in) you may need to use several things to keep the proper temperatures for your BP. It's essential to
    regulate any heat sources for safety (snakes can get burned easier than you might think...they are sometimes "clueless" about laying too long on something hot.

An accurate way to measure temperatures is another essential...BPs aren't the easiest of snakes to adjust temperatures for, as they need more warmth than many
    other kinds of snakes do. If your house is cold, I'd recommend insulating most* of the glass tank to help keep the warmth in. (*back, sides, bottom part of front).

And not to worry, I'm a glass tank fan...though many here are not. Either kind of enclosure can work as long as you pay attention to details. Orchid bark also
    works to keep up humidity, & it comes in large or very small chunks...florists & plant nurseries carry & use it. Just another option for substrates.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Jakethesnake69 (10-29-2018),Shayne (12-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Substrate type looks fine. The only thing i see is there is way to much substrate. If you have a regulated UTH you only need 1/4 inch of substrate.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sunnieskys For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-29-2018),Jakethesnake69 (10-29-2018),Shayne (12-14-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    Looks good! The lamps will heat the cage just fine, if they are on a thermostat or rheostat. An under tank heater will be practically useless when you have such a thick layer of substrate, so you either have to reduce the amount of substrate, or rely solely on overhead heating.
    Last edited by Godzilla78; 10-29-2018 at 07:17 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-29-2018),Jakethesnake69 (10-29-2018),Sunnieskys (10-29-2018)

Account Disabled
    Thanks
    Another thought is insulating the tank on three sides and the top. It will help with heat and Humidity. I have mine done with foam board I got at Hobby Lobby. It should help Monty feel a little more secure and not so out in the open as well. The insulation almost gives the look of a PVC type cage and looks more like a display.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jakethesnake69 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-29-2018),M.C.757 (10-30-2018)