Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,780

0 members and 2,780 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Thoughts on Dumpies?

Hello, all!

I have a tank ready for... Something. I'm considering one or more White's treefrog, AKA Dumpy treefrogs. I had afew questions to ask.

One- I live in an apartment. Are they too loud to make this doable?

Two- is it cruel to just have one? How social are they? Tying in to the first question, do they get louder, softer, or no different when you hace more than one?

Three- are there quietet or more pleasant-sounding frogs that are equally gregarious and handleable that I might consider instead?

Four- is there a way to sex juveniles?

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Re: Thoughts on Dumpies?

My gf keeps a pair of Whites Tree Frogs in one of our spare bedrooms. I don't deal with them much. But, I can say:

They are LOUD at different times of the year. Only at night: I can hear them through 6 walls and 2 doors.

We keep them in the largest Exo-Terra tall terrarium they sell and they climb on everything and use every inch of space.

They are crazy aggressive about food and they bite my gfs fingers when she tries to handle them. Ours don't mind handling-but, they have a tendency to leap to another position in the room. Sometimes they fly out of the terrarium and latch onto my gfs face when she opens the cage.

I'm told she has to keep them on a strict diet to prevent them from getting overweight.

Personally: I prefer ornate frogs as they are just red and green ground dwelling insect eating potatoes, however, they are prone to numerous conditions (e.g. impaction, parasites, failure to thrive) and can have an extremely varied lifespan.
    *.* TNTC

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-30-2018)

Thanks

Re: Thoughts on Dumpies?

I just want something I can handle and that isn't too loud. Ornates are kinda rude.