Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,180

0 members and 1,180 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Scale rot?

Thanks

Scale rot?

http://imgur.com/gallery/Ju1XlVO
    Is this minor scale rot and Also you cant see in the pics but there's a little redness

Thanks

Thanks
    I’m interested too. I have no clue what scale rot looks like but I’m also curious as to why no one is answering?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,076 Posts
    I don't know what scale rot looks like. Hope someone chimes in soon for you.
    ~Sunny~
    Booplesnoop
    Coilsome, Odyn, & Eeden AKA theLittleOne

0:1 Pastel Het Red Day Chocolate
    1:0 Normal
    0:0:1 Pueblan milk snake

*~* Nothing sticky (tape, stick on gauges, Velcro) goes into your enclosure! Again...NOTHING sticky goes into your enclosure....EVER! *~*

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    This is so faint, if it is some sort of bacterial skin issue (hard to tell in pic) it is very minor. May be more along the lines of a minor bruise, etc.

Just to be safe, keep the snake 100% correct in husbandry. That means controlled heat (on thermostat), perfect heat gradient and ambient. Snug hides in cool and warm areas. Privacy to keep it low stress (not a big exposed area) Keep handling to a minimum for a while and keep the snake on VERY VERY clean substrate. If in doubt about skin issues, use paper towels and switch them out as soon as they are dirty.

Blister disease usually happens with the immune system of a snake is stressed and the husbandry is of. Dirty or wet enclosures also factor in.

Not every post gets answered right away. There isn't always someone online that knows the answer, and sometimes a post rolls down and doesn't get noticed. Meanwhile, googling these issues will also provide a bit of help if time is of essence.

Hope that helps a bit.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-29-2018),Jcarlos (10-29-2018),Sunnieskys (10-29-2018),tttaylorrr (11-01-2018)

Thanks
    I haven't seen scale rot in over a decade but it does not look like what I remember. It doesn't even necessarily look all that irritated. I would keep an eye on it and see if it clears up after the next shed. Also, I the only snake I ever saw scale rot on was kept in a cage that was very wet near a breezy window, so it was basically wet and cold...I don't think it's the easiest thing to get.

Thanks
    I would be shocked if that was scale rot, I played with a Burm with awful scale rot a couple of months ago and it looks almost like a decaying sunburn, bright red, scabby, peeling, I do not think this is anything beyond normal coloration, but something to keep an eye on in any case, if it grows/ gets worse it would be time for a trip to the vet, but I don't imagine it will be an issue. If you are worried about scale rot ensure there is dry substrate and your temps and humidity are spot on.

Thanks
    Make sure your temp and humidity are perfect,also if you are feeding live they may be bite wounds (hard to tell on pic) or it may just be the snakes pattern?(hard to tell on picture) if it is scale rot however try bringing the snake to a good vet fast!