Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,926

0 members and 2,926 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Anyone own an Arizona Mountain king?

Wondering if anyone here owns an Arizona Mountain king and if babies are indeed very picky eaters...Ive been told pinky mice sometimes are not accepted and anoles, skinks, or fence lizards must occasionally be offered. Anything else you can tell me?

Although I appreciate help, please respond only if you have experience with this species or Sonorans. There have been a few notorious users here as of late Ive noticed who simply respond to every post regardless of actual experience on the subject. Not trying to be insulting, but someone had to say it.

Much thanks,

Kevin

Thanks

Re: Anyone own an Arizona Mountain king?

Hi Kevin,

I know you post is from late last year, but to answer your question all Mountain Kingsnakes (Sonoran, Arizona, California and Coast) are all picky eaters in captivity. I am no expert on Mountain kings, but I breed Grey Banded Kingsnakes and my dad used to breed Mountain kings. L. pyromelana, L. zonata, and L. multifasciata all prey on food that is small compared to other Kingsnakes and it's something they evolved to do since they live in cooler climates. Also, in the wild young primarily prey on "newborn" lizards as they hatch at a half of the size of common kingsnakes an usually can't readily take on a nest of mice.

If you are going to breed L. pyromelana I would recommend either finding a feeder lizard supplier who will sell you "newborn" lizards or you can do what I do with my Grey Banded Kingsnakes and keep western banded geckos or fence lizards on hand. I rub the pinkie heads on the live lizards belly and offer the scented pinky weekly. It's a waiting game but I haven't had one die on me yet.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

John

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tjohn310 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-06-2019),Caitlin (01-01-2020),KevinK (12-17-2019)