Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,880

1 members and 2,879 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Still not eating/shedding?

Quote Originally Posted by Crowfingers View Post
    Ah, good. cypress mulch is resistant to molding and good for humidity. Sphagnum moss is reusable to a point - once it has been soaked and dried out several times it starts to break down and you can def tell - it smells funky. If the tank is already covered, switching to black shouldn't make too much difference. Sorry if I missed where you said any of that.

I'd try and just get the temps set and get some food in him. Shed should come along in his own time.
    I will certainly do so. I'll probably cover half the mesh top with tin foil. I'll get some moss here soon. I know there's some at petsmart, but does it matter which brand the moss is??

No worries. I got a lot going on, so it's easy to miss where I say stuff XD I'll make a trip to petsmart here soon though; that's where I got his hides. I'll get him another small rock hide- same as his cool side one. Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it
    My best friend is a cat.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts
    Re moss: I buy mine at plant nurseries/florist shops...I don't think the moss sold in pet stores is organic either, just more expensive because they can get away with
    it, hoping you don't know where else to buy it.

I read thru this but without seeing your snake, it's really hard to know what's going on...if he failed to shed, or what? Snakes going into a shed cycle often refuse
    food, but you'd have seen his eyes cloud up, then clear...and they don't take this long (a month!?) to shed once they go clear.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-28-2018),Traceur (10-27-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Re moss: I buy mine at plant nurseries/florist shops...I don't think the moss sold in pet stores is organic either, just more expensive because they can get away with
    it, hoping you don't know where else to buy it.

I read thru this but without seeing your snake, it's really hard to know what's going on...if he failed to shed, or what? Snakes going into a shed cycle often refuse
    food, but you'd have seen his eyes cloud up, then clear...and they don't take this long (a month!?) to shed once they go clear.
    Honestly, I don't know where else to buy it. I don't even think they have plant nurseries and flourist shops in my town. Even if they do, it'd be quite a ways. The only thing I can really do is go off by what I have in my town, since I have limits with my car and time.

I don't even know if he's gone in blue. I've never seen his eyes completely blue before. Then again, he's been going through on and off phases where he WILL eat, but either he doesn't eat enough or he doesn't eat at all. Lord knows what else I'm doing wrong, I tell ya
    My best friend is a cat.

Thanks
    Sphagnum moss: http://www.reptilebasics.com/substrate You can also buy it off Amazon.

Don't let your frustration win...you can do this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Traceur (10-27-2018)

Thanks

Sphagnum moss: http://www.reptilebasics.com/substrate You can also buy it off Amazon.

Don't let your frustration win...you can do this.
    Thank you so darn much, Bogertophis- this really helps But since the product is out of stock, I got an idea of what to look for and I found this on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/besgrow-Zeala...08059513&psc=1

Will this do?
    Last edited by Traceur; 10-27-2018 at 11:28 PM.
    My best friend is a cat.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 501 Posts

How are you offering the mice to him? On tongs or are you just laying them in the cage?
    BALL PYTHONS: 1.0 Pied/Clark, 1.0 Pastel Vanilla Super Stripe/Sunny, 0.1 Dragon Fly/Buffy, 0.1 Pastel Vanilla Yellow Belly/Cher, 0.1 BEL (Mojave Lesser)/Arya, 0.0.1 Normal/Norm, 0.1 Cinnamon Enchi/Peaches, 1.0 Cinnamon Calico/Yoshi, 0.1 Pewter Het Dreamsicle/Ariel
    BOAS: 0.1 Dumeril's/Memphis, 0.1 BCL/Artemis, 1.0 BCO/Grimm, 0.1 Suriname BCC/Rhubarb
    CORN SNAKES: 0.0.1/Mushu
    MORELIA: 0.1 Bredli/Zelda, 0.1 Granite IJ/Bridget, 0.1 Caramel Diamond Jungle/Pixie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WhompingWillow View Post
    How are you offering the mice to him? On tongs or are you just laying them in the cage?
    I always leave them there after shaking it a bit to show him it's there. He never strikes and he always ate it when I left it for him
    But even when I shook it, he seemed about as interested in it as he was when I leave it there, but he went away quicker
    My best friend is a cat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Traceur View Post
    Thank you so darn much, Bogertophis- this really helps But since the product is out of stock, I got an idea of what to look for and I found this on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/besgrow-Zeala...08059513&psc=1

Will this do?
    Not sure about that specific product: the moss I always buy comes loose in bags, not compressed, & it's green...so if you try that, let us know how you like it?
    I'd assume it will work, there are many products/brands of moss. BTW, you do NOT WANT "peat moss"...be sure it's sphagnum. Sustainably harvested is a plus.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Traceur (10-28-2018)

Thanks

Not sure about that specific product: the moss I always buy comes loose in bags, not compressed, & it's green...so if you try that, let us know how you like it?
    I'd assume it will work, there are many products/brands of moss. BTW, you do NOT WANT "peat moss"...be sure it's sphagnum. Sustainably harvested is a plus.
    I checked and it's sphagnum New Zealand moss. I also looked further into the reviews and Q&A. It's safe for geckos, so I'm assuming it's also good for snakes and other reptiles.

Down side is it has a possibility of bringing gnats. Are they dangerous to the snake??
    My best friend is a cat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Traceur View Post
    I checked and it's sphagnum New Zealand moss. I also looked further into the reviews and Q&A. It's safe for geckos, so I'm assuming it's also good for snakes and other reptiles.

Down side is it has a possibility of bringing gnats. Are they dangerous to the snake??
    Gnats are utterly harmless, a minor annoyance at the worst. Safe for geckos = safe for snakes,

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Traceur (10-28-2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast