Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,547

2 members and 1,545 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Neat Idea if it's safe

While at the reptile show today I heard one of the vendors taking to a buyer about a species of python that likes to climb (I think he said carpet python but it was loud) anyway, he said that in some of his larger cages he fixes white plastic pvc pipes to the ceiling of the cage to act as hides. I thought that sounded really cool, esp since they come in so many shapes, but I was wondering if these plastic things were the same kind of PVC as the cages. My dad used to do some construction and these pipes stink when heated, so I was curious to see if any one had used something like these for hides or burrows (for any species)?
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    Far as I know, PVC is PVC...& that "stink" when heated is toxic. Not a fan, though when it's not heated it's a lot safer.
    I've experimented in the past with a few wide (4-6") pieces of PVC & elbows for (unheated) snake hides, they work ok for some species.

The most useful thing I used wide-width PVC for is making a few shift-cages for the rattlesnakes I used to keep: I bolted a made-to-match drain cover to one
    end, & used another (with a handle installed) for the doorway, & also installed a heavy-duty handle to the outside. Because of the flow-thru drain covers, I could
    also bathe the snakes when needed*. I took in some that were previously kept & unwanted...usually they'd been left for a long time in uncleaned filthy cages
    before the "owner" decided it was time to give up the idea or someone they lived with forced the issue...poor snakes! They seemed to like the shallow bath &
    as "shift cages" the snakes feel like it's a safe dark cave & usually go in willingly. Much safer & less stress (for everyone!) compared to other methods.

*lukewarm water in bath tub, shallow but enough to flow thru the shift cage, which I then sloshed back & forth slowly in the tub. Worked great.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-27-2018 at 04:20 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Crowfingers (10-27-2018)

Thanks

Re: Neat Idea if it's safe

that sounds cool! I wonder what makes the pipes stink but not the cages when being heated with the various heat sources we use.
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts

Re: Neat Idea if it's safe

Quote Originally Posted by Crowfingers View Post
    that sounds cool! I wonder what makes the pipes stink but not the cages when being heated with the various heat sources we use.
    I've heard some people say they do smell...I think much depends on the sensitivity of our own sense of smell, plus the air circulation in the room. Pretty sure a snake
    enclosed is getting a lot more stink than we are. I'm one of those people that doesn't like the smell of plastic storage bins, that's even when they're cold & only used for
    storage, not heated & housing snakes. Plastics in general are full of toxic stuff & adding energy (heat) makes them off-gas...we put up with PVC pipes to carry much
    of our drinking water because it's probably the cheapest alternative & easy to work with etc- & so far, we look the other way for the minimal risks. I suspect that someday
    health regulations will reflect what scientists already know, & label them as a likely contributor to our cancer risk, but right now, it's just another "inconvenient" issue for
    which we don't have a better idea.